Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Offerings to the FPS god  (Read 3638 times)

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Offerings to the FPS god
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »

lol amd, why bother upgrading if you're going to go for AMD?
AMD is laughinggirls.jpg
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

There's no way that your questions haven't already been answered, but I will add this: if you really want an excuse to upgrade your rig, try to run Crysis at max graphics.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »

fair enough Talvieno, I'll take it to a hardware forum now I know what I'm looking for  :)

Arphem I'm now looking and my credit card but I probably shouldn't. The AMD still rates twice what my old Q6600 does on that chart, can't justify spending too much on it!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:46:00 pm »

The reason some people prefer Intel over AMD is that AMD has a history of causing mysterious crashes/bluescreens on rare occasions. Well, that and other things. It's good, all in all... but not the best.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »

The reason some people prefer Intel over AMD is that AMD has a history of causing mysterious crashes/bluescreens on rare occasions. Well, that and other things. It's good, all in all... but not the best.

Yeah, and Intel has a history of not being able to do math.

I used to make my computers with AMD CPUs because they were cheaper for the equivalent performance level. But the last couple of times I've shopped for laptops, Intel seems to have taken the lead. I sure hope AMD manages to rebound, I do like having two companies competing in the market. I'm not sure what will happen if Intel becomes the only player.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:57 pm »

Yeah, and Intel has a history of not being able to do math.

I used to make my computers with AMD CPUs because they were cheaper for the equivalent performance level. But the last couple of times I've shopped for laptops, Intel seems to have taken the lead. I sure hope AMD manages to rebound, I do like having two companies competing in the market. I'm not sure what will happen if Intel becomes the only player.
I don't know about the "not being able to do math" part, but I do second your hope that AMD will rebound. Monopolies are never a good thing.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »

intel is so far ahead of amd in terms of raw processing integer power that they didn't even bother to focus on that in the current ivy bridge release, instead they went for power efficiency.
i was a huge athlon xp fan but then there was intel core 2 duo ... sandy bridge/ivy bridge is the nail in the coffin for desktop-amd. laptops are a different case
Pages: 1 [2]