Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The worst animals ever.  (Read 17340 times)

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst animals ever.
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:58 pm »

There we go then.  We have a number, whereas having these animals get shot down by my hunter/mayor (how the dwarf that speaks to no one got elected, I don't know) and then clutter up the refuse pile just gets old.

Scrape off what meat you can, stash it in a pot, and wait for the next one, or use it as seasoning.

Serve the bloody things whole if it comes down to it.

What can I say?  If I can't get my dwarves to eat it, I don't like it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:27:09 pm by white_darkness »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

I tell my dorfs to ignore outside corpses, so there you go.  What ravens they shot down incidentally were left to rot were they lay.

I'm not sure if they're actually worse than badgers.  Both generate job cancellation spam, but the ravens don't have the pointless aggression of the badger.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 03:50:32 pm »

Giant sponges.

Giant sponges so much.

They are sessile, indestructable, and as far as your dwarves are concerned, fucking terrifying.

My first .34 fort had several giant sponges in the stream that it straddled. The amount of headache they caused was increadible. To kill these things, you have to drop a cave in on them (and you have to make the pillar to the cave-in support tall enough that your builders don't go "WAAUGGHGH" and run away from the sponge five tiles below); or you have to dry them out somehow, which means windmills/waterwheels, pump stacks, lots of channeling...

And that's pretty much it, apart from maybe !!MAGMA!!.

I spent the better part of my first two years building giant cave-in-drop pillars.

They're also increadibly dangerous. Do you have military dwarves? When they see these things, they go berserk. They'll charge at them if at all possible, dodge the body slam right into the river, and drown after fighting it for about six days. It's like they have mind control that draws other creatures to them. I once saw a trible of 9 giant mosquito men ravage a sponge for a whole freaking year. Three died from sheer exhaustion, after they plummeted into the river and drowned. After that, I restarted with another fort and a later version.

... best thing though, is that was before I tried screwing with the raws.

See, at that point, we still didn't have updated versions of runesmith or DF hack, so I couldn't just get rid of them. So I tried changing the raws around; adding mouths, trying to make them above-water, changing their temperature values, etc. All I managed to do was make them able to move somehow, albiet very slowly, and hit dwarves with bone-breaking force. Yeah. Whay-da-go. 

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »

Giant sponges.

Giant sponges so much.

They are sessile, indestructable, and as far as your dwarves are concerned, fucking terrifying.

My first .34 fort had several giant sponges in the stream that it straddled. The amount of headache they caused was increadible. To kill these things, you have to drop a cave in on them (and you have to make the pillar to the cave-in support tall enough that your builders don't go "WAAUGGHGH" and run away from the sponge five tiles below); or you have to dry them out somehow, which means windmills/waterwheels, pump stacks, lots of channeling...

And that's pretty much it, apart from maybe !!MAGMA!!.

I spent the better part of my first two years building giant cave-in-drop pillars.

They're also increadibly dangerous. Do you have military dwarves? When they see these things, they go berserk. They'll charge at them if at all possible, dodge the body slam right into the river, and drown after fighting it for about six days. It's like they have mind control that draws other creatures to them. I once saw a trible of 9 giant mosquito men ravage a sponge for a whole freaking year. Three died from sheer exhaustion, after they plummeted into the river and drowned. After that, I restarted with another fort and a later version.

... best thing though, is that was before I tried screwing with the raws.

See, at that point, we still didn't have updated versions of runesmith or DF hack, so I couldn't just get rid of them. So I tried changing the raws around; adding mouths, trying to make them above-water, changing their temperature values, etc. All I managed to do was make them able to move somehow, albiet very slowly, and hit dwarves with bone-breaking force. Yeah. Whay-da-go.

That sounds so awesome. If only you could have caught and tamed them for SCIENCE!

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:21 pm »

Want some fun?  Build a wall straight across the embark, end to end, preferably a cross shape in the center, with bridges on the edge to ensure full wall length.  Complete the walls to make a solid + sign, there should be no gaps.  On each inside corner, dig stairs straight down to the caverns or even HFS, making sure that it's totally walkable from top to bottom.

Animals will now migrate straight through your fortress as they attempt to move from one side of the map to the other, walking straight through HFS to reach that one patch of grass right over there.

I remember one of my first 3D forts, back when there were cliffs all over the place since hills weren't smoothed yet.  The fort was built into a mountain which cut the southern savanahs off from the northern woodlands, with the fort itself being the only way through.

There were also elephants.

Entire herds of them would start near the brook, walk through the entire length of the fort's main hallway, up to the top of the mountain (where the wagon started...) and then down the caravan road to the other side.  After that, they'd decide they really didn't want to be there, and proceed to migrate back through the fort a second time.  Suprisingly there was little actual conflict between dwarf and elephant, each completely ignoring the other unless they happened to walk straight into each other.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2012, 09:43:07 pm »

The Kea: A Kobold creation that attacks in packs, paths to your most expensive stocks, and can fly.
I've watched my guards chase them down in circles to exhaustion.

Just as annoying in game as in real life.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:51 pm »

Would just building a floor over it be an effective countermeasure to a sponge?  Maybe dedrafting your military until that's done to be absolutely safe.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:55 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Giant_jumping_spider

These guys will be happy to munch on your war dogs during your fort's first year.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Hephaestus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2012, 11:01:08 pm »

You know, after the giant mosquito 100+ swarms of 34.01, I have had to be content with whatever giant creatures happen to walk by for crossbow practice. I kind of miss those guys. I had a fort with a squad of legendary marksdwarves without building a single archery target.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2012, 01:03:32 am »

The worst animals? I'd rather a few keas pinching from stockpiles than giant capybaras. I've seen those things perform rather intricate and most decidedly fatal vivisections on any dwarf they catch the scent of.
As Spearbreakers has demonstrated, the regular-sized capybara is no stranger to performing a field hepatectomy on a hapless woodcutter, either.

The giant thrips is a serious menace as well, given their tendency to fly in a whole conga line at a time and wrestle the everliving crap out of anything that gets in their way.

The kea still gets my vote on the annoyance factor, though. Those bastards fly in swarms and will steal anything that isn't nailed down and on fire.
(Oh, and in real life, keas also love to vandalize cars, among other things.)

Would just building a floor over it be an effective countermeasure to a sponge?  Maybe dedrafting your military until that's done to be absolutely safe.

The Giant sponge has become enraged!
Urist McBuilder cancels Construct building: interrupted by Giant sponge.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:10:08 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:54 am »

You just need blind masons.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:53 am »

The worst animals? I'd rather a few keas pinching from stockpiles than giant capybaras. I've seen those things perform rather intricate and most decidedly fatal vivisections on any dwarf they catch the scent of.
What?
KodKod not hating on kobolds?
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO KODKOD?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 06:12:25 am »

No mention of grey langurs / grey langur men?

I've lost more stuff to them than I have to keas, and I have both of them in my fort.

(Admittedly, this may be because its a reclaim, and there was a lot of valuble stuff - including artefacts - scattered all over the map).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

What?
KodKod not hating on kobolds?
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO KODKOD?

I do not consider kobolds to be animals, they're more like a form of sentient dirt.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

I've learned to exploit the fuck out of live in peace with the Keas
I like above and below forts, with moats
For the most recent one, I was gonna fill the moat with magma, but I noticed that a lot of the time, caravans would be set upon by Keas, they would steal things and run off, and often attack the departing caravans, every now and again this leads to a beast of burden carrying delicious loot dodging into the empty moat, and eventually starving to death, leaving a hefty pile of goods behind

Free cloth, metal, foodstuffs, trinkets, wood, everything a Dorf could want, I love those little bastards!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6