Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tips, Tricks, and Advice Section for Noobs.  (Read 6487 times)

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips, Tricks, and Advice Section for Noobs.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 09:00:22 pm »

Could I have some help anyone? I don't know how to equip a sword, I'm not wearing one but when I drop it and press d (not D) or was it w? It won't let me equip it, it just goes into my backpack. I have nothing at all in my hands except for a shield in one and some gloves! Help!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:26:07 pm by The Unicorn Killer »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:17 pm »

If the sword is on the ground, 'g'et it. If you put it in your backpack because your hands are full, 'r'emove it from your backpack, and it will be in one of your hands.

protip: that's how people end up holding like 10 shields at a time: they just pick up a bunch of shields off of the ground, then 'r'emove them, so that they're holding them.

also, you should probably either 'w'ear the gloves, or 'd'rop them and then pick them up after you have something else in your other hand. It sounds like you're holding the gloves in that hand, not wearing them.

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30:10 pm »

Ok thanks got it

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:21 pm »

I'm considering trying out adventure mode, make a world specifically to explore. So I will probably be using this thread at some point.

You will not be alone, The Unicorn Killer.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 12:58:26 am »

YAY! May I recommend a save I found online that is just amazing, I forget the name of the civ. but its near the top left corner of the map and like 5 tiles down. Theres a HUGE city with giant underground sewers and tomb, lots of civilizations everywhere, and THREE necromancer towers right next to each other. Here's the link to the map, http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6111

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »

Just a question? Is there anyway to treat a injured companion, I raided a goblin camp and a guy lost a limb, fortunately, I found an alder crutch, how to I treat his wounds?

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 08:28:33 pm »

I have no idea. My only medical experinces are in Fort mode, so...

Does every human town have a shopkeeper, or is it only in some/only in capitals? When I play a Human Outsider or just a human sized guy looking to buy armor, all the human towns I've been through so far didn't have a shopkeeper, and I talked to just about everyone, but even a guy that had the proffesion "Trader" said that I should probably speak to a shopkeeper.

Also, if I do find a shopkeeper, will his proffession actually say "Shopkeeper"?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:32:06 pm by Orky_Boss »
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 09:26:37 pm »

Well, only towns with yellow roads have merchants around them. Also, sometimes a persons profession will be merchant, but most of the time its farmer or butcher. You can tell if the person in a shop is a shopkeeper by the little sign outside their door that tells what the shop sells. However, I would just go kill stuff as thats a much faster and WAY, WAY faster method of getting armor.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54:53 am »

Say that you've decided to transfer a whole bunch of items from a previous fort to a new location via Pack Muleventurer.

You can make things easier with the following tips.

1. Items that are left in a workshop when you abandon will remain there.
2. Don't sleep as items will scatter again.
3. Artifacts can only be removed from the site if they are placed in a bin and the bin itself is carried. You can remove a copy of the item from the bin that will disappear the instant it leaves your hands and can duplicate items via this process.
4. To avoid having that bin randomly move across the map, you can put it in a room behind a locked door and it will remain there.
5. Now, say that you have a nice lair picked out to put all of these recovered goodies in. Make sure that you are well away from the door/ramp as items placed there will still scatter while objects inside the lair will not. So you've spent all that time lugging an entire abandoned fort's worth of items halfway across the world map. That's all well and good, but now you have to empty that humongous backpack one item at a time, right?

Nah, here's what you do. Get a waterskin and fill it with a liquid; water is best, but this will work with other things. When you get inside of the lair, pick out a location for where you want to create a quantum stockpile of your items. Walk over there and hit 'd'. Select the water/liquid in the waterskin, which will empty the entire waterskin. Now, hit 'g' and pick up the water that you just dropped. Make sure that it goes in your backpack and that you didn't have an empty hand for some reason as the water will still be in your hand. If it does, just use 'p' to put it in the backpack. For the record, you can pick up an infinite number of handfuls of water as puddles created by waterskins are apparently the same as aquifers in adventure mode. If you get stuck in the mountains with nothing to pick up and throw, you can do this and flatten a kobold's skull with a handful of water. You can also use this trick to have one waterskin refill fifty if need be, but killing kobolds with it is a lot more fun.

Anyway, so you have your handful of water from that infinite puddle in your backpack, right? Hit 'd' and select the water that is in your backback. The game will decide that your backpack is now a waterskin and will mass dump everything at once. Now you can go back to hiking through the world, kicking monsters to death, or waltz back to the nearest city of your home civ so that said adventurer can show up in that fort and enjoy the fruits of his/her labors.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »

I'm a noob here. I need some help not starving/dying of thirst here lol. I've figured out how to drink out of my flask, get a full bucket of water from the well, drink out of a river, drink liquid off my body parts (I refreshed myself licking my eye ball earlier) and I get that I have a water flask but I can't figure out how to fill it with water. :( Any help?

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 06:57:05 pm »

jsut drink the blood of your foes

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »

I'm a noob here. I need some help not starving/dying of thirst here lol. I've figured out how to drink out of my flask, get a full bucket of water from the well, drink out of a river, drink liquid off my body parts (I refreshed myself licking my eye ball earlier) and I get that I have a water flask but I can't figure out how to fill it with water. :( Any help?

Hit shift and i to bring up the interaction screen. Select the waterskin (usually around l or m in my experience) and then choose to fill it with a nearby liquid (or snow if you're in a cold clime) with the next menu. Keep in mind that if the water in question is stagnant or salty, it won't do you any good. Blood, on the other hand, works just fine.

If you are in a freezing biome, you can make a campfire with [g] and then use the interaction screen to thaw out the ice.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

Hit shift and i to bring up the interaction screen. Select the waterskin (usually around l or m in my experience) and then choose to fill it with a nearby liquid (or snow if you're in a cold clime) with the next menu. Keep in mind that if the water in question is stagnant or salty, it won't do you any good. Blood, on the other hand, works just fine.

If you are in a freezing biome, you can make a campfire with [g] and then use the interaction screen to thaw out the ice.

Ah, fantastic, thank you so much :) Now to solve my food problem lol. I learned how to butcher luckily (x) while standing over (for anyone reading over this) Still seems tough to find things. Any strategies you guys employ?

eltheon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

vampirism solves all your problems
 sadly it makes new ones

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

vampirism solves all your problems
 sadly it makes new ones

Lol.
I have another question... I just killed a Raven but didn't seem able to butcher its corpse and I can only seem to lick it instead of consuming it. Is there a workaround here with a campfire maybe? This game is making me feel like such a savage hahaha
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4