Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550862 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4710 on: February 19, 2021, 11:49:06 am »

My impression of asian (vaguely defined) cuisine is that they were more about vegetables than the West in general.

Buddhist regions very much so. I don't remember if Japanese vegetarianism was Buddhist or something else, but that too. China is just a large place (my current favourite thing about Chinese dialects is that expecting Shenzhen dialect to sound like Beijing dialect is geographically similar to expecting Spanish to sound like Ukrainian, I think) that has many different takes on food.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: February 19, 2021, 01:22:52 pm »

book recommend for English speakers who want some Chinese veg recipes: the breath of the wok (or something like that, you can google). I got most of my veggie stir fry recipes from there. It has meat too, but compared to your typical American cookbook, there's waaaaaay more veggie things in there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: February 19, 2021, 01:51:50 pm »

I'm still deeply insecure about the wok in wok
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: February 20, 2021, 11:42:09 am »

I want a wok.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: February 20, 2021, 01:31:15 pm »

They are gr8. I use mine for steaming stuff too. Wok is good, wok is life!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4715 on: February 20, 2021, 02:02:49 pm »

Yeah mine is sometimes a wok and sometimes just the broadest pot I own. Very practical tool.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: February 20, 2021, 03:40:39 pm »

Chili came out pretty good. Used too much stock so it's saucier than I wanted. I sorta wonder, based on the recipe I worked off of, how spicy I made it. They were putting tablespoons of several different chili mixtures. I don't think I used anywhere near that amount. It's hot enough to make me sweat. Can't really imagine what it would have tasted like with 2x the spice.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 03:49:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: February 20, 2021, 08:09:51 pm »

Chili came out pretty good. Used too much stock so it's saucier than I wanted. I sorta wonder, based on the recipe I worked off of, how spicy I made it. They were putting tablespoons of several different chili mixtures. I don't think I used anywhere near that amount. It's hot enough to make me sweat. Can't really imagine what it would have tasted like with 2x the spice.

Stock? I was making it from memory, but used diced tomato, tomato paste, beans, meat, onion, chili powder, and other assorted spices. Still a bit soupy from the tomato and onion juicing out, but pretty close to what I wanted. It helps to pre-cook the meat a bit and drain the fat into a can (or other container that won't melt and is heading to the trash).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: February 21, 2021, 01:28:42 am »

I used about 18 oz of Beef Stock and 8 oz. of tomato sauce for 2 pounds of meat and a can of beans and some onions and garlic and all the spices. I thought it would reduce after a good boil for 30 minutes and then 20 minutes....but it still came out a little too watery. I also didn't drain the fat because tbh I like it. But maybe that messed with the consistency too.

I tend to use beef stock in meat based dishes instead of water these days. My mom used to make pretty much everything with water. Chili. Pasta sauce. Stews. Rice. W/e. I take her recipes and replace that with beef or chicken stock or something where applicable. Just gives the base of what you're making so much more flavor.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:37:23 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: February 21, 2021, 10:25:55 am »

I used about 18 oz of Beef Stock and 8 oz. of tomato sauce for 2 pounds of meat and a can of beans and some onions and garlic and all the spices. I thought it would reduce after a good boil for 30 minutes and then 20 minutes....but it still came out a little too watery. I also didn't drain the fat because tbh I like it. But maybe that messed with the consistency too.

I tend to use beef stock in meat based dishes instead of water these days. My mom used to make pretty much everything with water. Chili. Pasta sauce. Stews. Rice. W/e. I take her recipes and replace that with beef or chicken stock or something where applicable. Just gives the base of what you're making so much more flavor.

Yeah, if you're adding water/stock and want it thick, you probably want to coat the partially-cooked meat with flour or starch before adding it. Just adding the flour or starch will get you lumps.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: February 21, 2021, 11:16:12 am »

Pro-tip for starch: mix it first in a little bit of COLD water. Then it will become a smooth mixture which you can then add to your food to thicken it without lumps
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: February 21, 2021, 11:19:10 am »

Pro-tip for starch: mix it first in a little bit of COLD water. Then it will become a smooth mixture which you can then add to your food to thicken it without lumps

Recipes I've read before called for using warm-but-not-too-warm water, but I'm really not sure at this point if the improved solubility is worth the bother of fiddling with the temperature like that...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: February 21, 2021, 11:22:18 am »

Ya never add starch to hot liquid. It clumps and won't mix.

Always cold. I wouldn't even do warm.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4723 on: February 21, 2021, 12:03:33 pm »

Unless my understanding is fundamentally wrong somehow as long as the liquid's not so warm that it'll cook the starch it doesn't really matter (55-85 degrees, depending on the starch, Wikipedia tells me). Starch isn't actually soluble so the temperature of the water doesn't matter unless you're really worried about cooling down your sauce too much.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:00 pm »

Well you're right in that it's unlikely to cook into horrid little dumplings, like flour does.

I ain't no chemist but starch reacts differently when put in hot water. Stuff simply does not dissolve the same.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 334