Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550859 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4695 on: February 11, 2021, 03:41:48 pm »

Can you believe it's not butter?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: February 11, 2021, 11:12:43 pm »

RIPasta.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: February 11, 2021, 11:15:51 pm »

RIPasta.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:32 pm »

You can bake pasta/spaghetti, right in the sauce if you're especially lazy like me.   Oven, toaster oven or microwave - I like it because I don't want to watch a pot and risk getting distracted so the timed cooking is a godsend.   It can take a little experimentation to get the timing right, but then it's pretty foolproof...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: February 13, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »

You can bake pasta/spaghetti, right in the sauce if you're especially lazy like me.

Isn't that basically what lasagna is?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: February 13, 2021, 01:30:59 pm »

pasta gratin
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: February 18, 2021, 10:49:19 am »

Coconut chilli split pea soup is my new favourite thing. Lots of onions fried with spices (crushed cumin, coriander, yellow mustard seed, chilli flakes, turmeric), tinned tomato as the cooking liquid, yellow split peas, whole habaneros for flavour. Coconut milk at the end.

Suspect it would be even better with some garlic and ginger root, but didn't have any on hand.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: February 18, 2021, 03:22:02 pm »

This weekend I shall be making bog standard chili. But after temps in the -20s, it could be bad and I would still eat it. It won't be though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: February 19, 2021, 01:13:11 am »

Rather than eating plain rice and a single boiled leafy green (vegetarianism doesn't exist here) for lunch in the cafeteria at work, I got a hotplate and a single pot. Time to get creative.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: February 19, 2021, 01:20:06 am »

Coconut chilli split pea soup is my new favourite thing. Lots of onions fried with spices (crushed cumin, coriander, yellow mustard seed, chilli flakes, turmeric), tinned tomato as the cooking liquid, yellow split peas, whole habaneros for flavour. Coconut milk at the end.

Suspect it would be even better with some garlic and ginger root, but didn't have any on hand.

Ooh. This sounds both doable in terms of ingredients and in terms of my current energy level. I'm gonna make it.

This ... probably doesn't, or perhaps just shouldn't count, but I have upped my quarantine game from PB&J to sandwiches with cheese, chili sauce, and tomato :V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4705 on: February 19, 2021, 05:07:04 am »

Rather than eating plain rice and a single boiled leafy green (vegetarianism doesn't exist here) for lunch in the cafeteria at work, I got a hotplate and a single pot. Time to get creative.

I once ordered a vegetable stir fry from a local Chinese place, about as Chinese as they come outside of China because of the big diaspora here.

"Vegetable" was correct. I got some indistinct oily green leaves, either bok choi or spinach I think, and noodles. Never made that mistake again, haha.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:57 am »

I once ordered a vegetable stir fry from a local Chinese place, about as Chinese as they come outside of China because of the big diaspora here.

"Vegetable" was correct. I got some indistinct oily green leaves, either bok choi or spinach I think, and noodles. Never made that mistake again, haha.

Gai lan with garlic sauce is the bomb though! I grew up vegetarian and we used to get all sorts of tasty treats from the (American-)Chinese restaurants we bumped into along the way. Ma po tofu is also grand, although admittedly not particularly "green" :P

Speaking of such, my folks have found a good recipe for Peking hot & sour soup and we've been tweaking it to our preferences since then... Considering that was a big comfort food that I've seriously missed since coming to Norway, I'm very happy about this turn of events!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: February 19, 2021, 08:01:54 am »

Some areas of China just do wonders with veggies.

Where I currently live...I think they see vegetables as an obstacle to the meat... Some chefs cook vegetables with a level of malice I wouldn't aim at my greatest enemy. Apparently - the meat here is very good, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: February 19, 2021, 11:34:47 am »

My impression of asian (vaguely defined) cuisine is that they were more about vegetables than the West in general.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: February 19, 2021, 11:46:39 am »

More than WW2-onwards western cuisine I guess... Before that it was all about veggies.

Well, in counting root fruits as veggies here in the case of Sweden.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 334