Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557857 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4620 on: December 21, 2020, 10:12:10 pm »

Everything but the bananas+choc are fine. The bananas and chocolate are in fact an abomination against God and Man. The cosmic police are on their way. Prepare for planetary annihilation.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:55 pm »

Admittedly I got the idea because of a yuri VN I was watching at the time, because I noticed a character with an affinity for bananas just happened to be wearing an outfit that made me think of chocolate. I never said it was a GOOD idea.

Though I think I'm totally gonna order it minus the bananas one day and just add them.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: December 21, 2020, 10:54:19 pm »

Everything but the bananas+choc are fine. The bananas and chocolate are in fact an abomination against God and Man. The cosmic police are on their way. Prepare for planetary annihilation.
I was ready to post the same!  Garlic bread (essentially) is lovely, white sauce on pizza is the best (though dangerously cheesy... literally...) and I like mushrooms on pizza for their texture and hint of xenoflora.

I even find pineapple acceptable on pizza... in small amounts, sometimes.  But banana isn't just sweet, it has a strong "banana" flavor that I just don't want.  Adding chocolate is right out.

No no, let's get some olives and spinach on there.  Spinach olive mushroom pizza on white sauce.  With garlic seasoning.  Now that's a pizza I've pretty much eaten several times, and it is good.

(Plus maybe some jalapenos, or Italian sausage if it's a meat day)
Darn y'all I want pizza now.  I don't eat much cheese these days ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: December 22, 2020, 01:46:14 am »

I once got a regular cheese pizza with whipcream and chocolate chips on top.

Because I saw it on Teenage Mutant Ninaj Turtles and thought it would be good.

Turned into a glazed pizza with dots of chocolate, basically, by the time it came to us.

I'll never do it again, but I can say I tried. Chase your dreeeeaaaaammmmmms.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: December 22, 2020, 04:09:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Banana on pizza is great, in particular with curry spicing
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: December 22, 2020, 05:19:56 am »

Put me down as curious. Here we just put doner/pakora/haggis on pizza with chillies and pepperoni. Though when making pizza, nothing beats feta, olives, peppers, fresh tomato, herbs etc.

Also, barn is 'child' pizza? :D Fun language similarities to Scots.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:40 am »

Yes, barn is bairn (except bairn would be spelled bärn in Swedish), it's one of the words our forefathers left in your language ;)
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: December 22, 2020, 11:55:25 am »

So I had an idea in my head a couple of days ago and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

A pizza with white garlic sauce, mushrooms, and... Chocolate covered bananas. For some reason I just think it would taste great.

Chocolate bananas need something to balance the sweetness out. I know sauerkraut and pineapple play off each other much better than expected. Throw something salty on there, maybe? And/or spicy?

Also reminded of the 5 cheese pizza (ricotta as sauce) I made. The spinach, garlic, and roma tomato helped break up the texture. Very good, though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:57:48 am by Iduno »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: December 23, 2020, 06:36:08 pm »

Christmas loaves have been baked, cinnamon buns are on their final rise, and soon the Christmas ham will spend the night in the oven.

Checklist for tomorrow:
  • Mustard and breadcrumb coating on the ham
  • Carrot and rutabaga casseroles
  • Potatoes gratiné
  • Swedish meatballs (unfortunately pre-made)
  • Beetroot salad (unfortunately pre-made)
  • Boiled eggs
  • Boiled potatoes and carrots, if any leftovers
  • Christmas rice porridge
  • Ris a la Malta

Limited time and budget, unfortunately. Would've loved to have some warm smoked salmon. Thankfully I have a stockpile of 7.5 L of julmust.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: December 24, 2020, 12:47:37 am »

The ritual boomer effigies to the jolly red communist gift giver have been presented on the traditional offering altar.

Hopefully the ritual will bring about the downfall of the bourgeois, and usher in the new communist era.

<<Snipped Image>>

Ngl, those look great
Recipe?

Sorry, I missed this--  Here you go.

Both recipes come from my ancient DoubleDay cookbook set from the '50s. (which is actually a reprint, since the recipes are even older, probably from the '20s)

First:

Spoiler: "Gingerbread Boys" (click to show/hide)

I did not have time to make frosting, so I used a pastry bag I had loaded with storebought creamcheese frosting, and used it to glue down some candy googly eyes I got at walmart. You can make a pastry bag out of a triangle of parchment paper using these instructions.  (Similar instructions are given in my ancient, antique cookbook) I suggest baking on a sheet of parchment paper to easily de-pan the cookies.

Spoiler: "Sugar cookies" (click to show/hide)

You can use any ordinary cookie cutter, as my picture demonstrated. Bake until the edges are JUST barely turning tan. These are very easy to over-cook, so stay near the oven the entire time.

I suggest baking on parchment paper rather than a greased cookie sheet. They will be easier to de-pan, will have less overall cleanup, and will not be as oily after de-panning.  Use colored decorative sugar, or cookie decorating stuff, like I did. You can find lots of such things in the baking isle of your grocer.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:49:40 am by wierd »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: January 04, 2021, 08:29:49 pm »

I learned today that despite what the internet says, you can't substitute baking soda and vinegar for an egg.  At least you can't in cornbread.

I was mixing some up when I realized I lacked the egg I needed, and figured I'd give it a try.  It smelled... close to right while baking.  It even tasted right initially.  But, as I learned, instead of cornbread, I had Almost Cornbread that slowly but inexorably becomes Picklebread in the back of your throat.

The substitution said a teaspoon of baking soda to a tablespoon of vinegar, but I feel like if I used like a teaspoon of vinegar it might have had a tolerable flavor profile.  The crumb was also much too delicate, which I expected since one of the jobs of eggs is to bind stuff like that together.

Lesson learned: check for eggs first next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:20 pm »

I learned today that despite what the internet says, you can't substitute baking soda and vinegar for an egg.  At least you can't in cornbread.
I'm sorry, what the fuck?
That's maybe a replacement for yeast and sugar, not a dang egg.  I think more egg can make a baked good "lighter", but it's different from a baking soda volcano!

I'm ready to be wrong here because cooking is deep science, but even corn meal isn't that robust.

I guess you were given the wrong ratio of vinegar to baking soda, or they didn't mix properly, but still... no!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: January 05, 2021, 05:30:52 am »

I was mixing some up when I realized I lacked the egg I needed, and figured I'd give it a try.  It smelled... close to right while baking.  It even tasted right initially.  But, as I learned, instead of cornbread, I had Almost Cornbread that slowly but inexorably becomes Picklebread in the back of your throat.

The substitution said a teaspoon of baking soda to a tablespoon of vinegar, but I feel like if I used like a teaspoon of vinegar it might have had a tolerable flavor profile.  The crumb was also much too delicate, which I expected since one of the jobs of eggs is to bind stuff like that together.

Lesson learned: check for eggs first next time.

Lol, I've never heard of that. Usual replacements for egg are stuff like aquafaba or apple sauce.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: January 05, 2021, 11:15:14 am »

Apple sauce is the go to, which I have used before, but didn't have this time.  Ironically it probably would have been better overall if I just baked it without the egg.

Oh well, lessons learned and all of that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: January 05, 2021, 11:55:59 am »

Kinda sounds like you got trolled a little. I've never heard of "volcano mix" being a substitute for egg either.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 334