Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557715 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4365 on: February 07, 2020, 12:03:58 pm »

After seeing a YouTube video on it (by Townsends I believe it was), I tried baking an onion.  The concept seemed a little crazy at first and I'd never heard of it, but the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like it was probably a good idea.

So, I found a simple recipe and gave it a shot.  All you had to do was cut off a little of the bottom so the onion sits flat, then cut out a pit in the top.  Put a bouillon cube in the pit, then pack the rest with butter (I only used about half a tablespoon, but the recipe called for more).  Bake at 350F for an hour.  As the butter melts, theoretically it dissolves the bouillon and carries it down into the onion.

It came out surprisingly good, but I learned two things:

1. It needed to bake a bit longer, or maybe hotter.  1h 15m might have been better.  It was still a little too crunchy for my tastes, but some might have liked it like it was.

2. The bouillon didn't disperse through the layers of the onion particularly well, so I may skip that next time and just salt it after it bakes and I break it up a bit.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: February 07, 2020, 12:40:35 pm »

butter (I only used about half a tablespoon, but the recipe called for more

2. The bouillon didn't disperse through the layers of the onion particularly well, so I may skip that next time and just salt it after it bakes and I break it up a bit.

That also probably affected how well the onion cooked. I usually look up 3 recipes when I make something new, and try to not substitute or change anything the first time.

Also, this reminds me of the onions that come with the grilled half chicken I get for lunch sometimes. The onion picks up enough marinade that it turns orange-y. Delicious, though (except when it's too limp).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:02 pm »

Parents are coming up for the weekend so I'm planning on fixing the latest and greatest iteration of my spaghetti and meat sauce. No recipe really, but it contained a pack of degloved (do not Google) Yuengling brats and a whole jar of marinated artichoke hearts, amongst other things.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:23:08 pm by Mephisto »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: February 07, 2020, 01:04:52 pm »

I recently discovered that some People make mashed potato so mashed that it’s practically a liquid. Mashed potato should be thick and buttery! Filling in the mouth, swallowed whole! Due to this discovery, I am now forgoing mashed potato entirely, and will now subsist on raw potato instead.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: February 07, 2020, 01:35:22 pm »

Try out millet mash sometime, quite tasty and can get that good consistency going.

Also that's definitely going in the OOC thread.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »

butter (I only used about half a tablespoon, but the recipe called for more

That also probably affected how well the onion cooked. I usually look up 3 recipes when I make something new, and try to not substitute or change anything the first time.

Possibly.  Anyone changing a recipe before trying it gets what they deserve I suppose.  In my case I think I cut the pit too small since that's all of the butter that would fit, but that too could have been implicated in it not turning out perfectly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: February 07, 2020, 02:50:46 pm »

Yeah, the amount of butter was probably recommended to achieve that specific result. Since it's basically the only liquid not in the onion, using less is probably why it came out crunchier than expected and the bouillon didn't disperse.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:42:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: February 07, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »

Possibly.  Anyone changing a recipe before trying it gets what they deserve I suppose.  In my case I think I cut the pit too small since that's all of the butter that would fit, but that too could have been implicated in it not turning out perfectly.

I mean, not judging, we all do it. Another solution would be to try to pry the layers apart slightly would probably help the flavor seep in better.

After seeing a YouTube video on it (by Townsends I believe it was), I tried baking an onion. 

Who?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: February 07, 2020, 03:22:01 pm »

I made linguine with a sherry cream sauce and mussels and it had red peppers and zucchini in it and it was divine.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: February 07, 2020, 03:27:20 pm »

I completely misread that as "cherry" cream sauce, and began to wonder just what sort of abomination you'd concocted...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: February 07, 2020, 03:48:22 pm »

I mean, not judging, we all do it. Another solution would be to try to pry the layers apart slightly would probably help the flavor seep in better.

After seeing a YouTube video on it (by Townsends I believe it was), I tried baking an onion. 

Who?

Townsends. Amongst other things, they've got some neat historic (US) food videos.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:13:58 pm by Mephisto »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: February 07, 2020, 04:10:59 pm »

I completely misread that as "cherry" cream sauce, and began to wonder just what sort of abomination you'd concocted...

Ykno tho I bet if you put like some sugar up in that it'd be a great sauce for desserts.

This one was for pasta and has sherry and lemon zest and garlic.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: February 07, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »

Ykno tho I bet if you put like some sugar up in that it'd be a great sauce for desserts.

This one was for pasta and has sherry and lemon zest and garlic.

Desert Pizza is...food. I'd try dessert pasta.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:25 am »

I forgot to buy bread and didn't want to go back out for it, so after discovering that I had some packets of yeast in the pantry I decided to try to make some instead.  This was the first time I'd tried making some with yeast, having tried in the past and failed to make sourdough bread, and I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

In the end, bread is bread, but the crust is way better than grocery story bread and it has... more body, is the best way I can think to describe the texture.

The only downside is that it took like 6 hours to make, since it has to rise for a few hours at a time twice.  I wish I hadn't done it on the same day I had to get up at 5 AM for a network maintenance window since I didn't get to bed until 1 AM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: February 21, 2020, 10:19:08 am »

There's a sort of farmer's market/co-op type deal across the river from where I live, where you can place orders with local producers and get awesome fresh produce or some neat homemade dishes.

I noticed this last time around that there was a producer offering jars of kimchi. I fucking love kimchi, so I had to jump for a couple jars to see how much these presumably whitebread norskies could manage to put some together... Also, good fucking luck trying to find the stuff anywhere else, it's WAY too "weird" and "foreign" for Norwegians to conceivably purchase (I had a friend who legitimately thought I was pulling his leg when I told him that, yes, tacos can be made with fish).

It's... Well, it's very Norwegian. First of all, they're using finely shredded cabbage instead of the big chunky bits, and also the spice is a bit toned down... Honestly, it's a bit more like just sauerkraut with a bit of chili added in than what I'd call "proper" kimchi.

But once you get over the disappointment of its inauthenticity, it's not that bad. Chili sauerkraut is kinda growing on me.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 334