Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557378 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3990 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:33 am »

Homemade kimchi? Niiice...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 05, 2018, 08:26:00 am »

Homemade kimchi? Niiice...

It's actually really easy. Just sauerkraut with a couple extra ingredients.

The real struggle is not having it stink out your fridge. When a korean dude told me he had a separate kimchi fridge I thought he was joking...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 05, 2018, 09:28:02 am »

There's a reason the traditional preparation involves burying the stuff :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 15, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

Made banana bread (banana cake?) with the new loaf tins. Surprisingly, it tastes of banana.

Hopefully it will go down well with the folks tomorrow.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 15, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »

I’ve always called it banana bread.

I had to make it in school one time, and it was yummy, so made it a few more times since then, but have subsequently lost the recipe. Which is okay, ‘cause it’s probably easy enough to find one online.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:54 am »

I've just made a nice warm apple cider. Spiced with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, orange peel, a pat of butter and a dash of rum. All pretty conventional aside from the allspice. It turned out quite nice.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 17, 2018, 11:41:57 am »

I've just made a nice warm apple cider. Spiced with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, orange peel, a pat of butter and a dash of rum. All pretty conventional aside from the allspice. It turned out quite nice.

That sounds amazing, despite what the butter would do to my stomach (what, am I just going to give up dairy just because it makes me sick?). Mulled?

Similarly, it finally got cool enough here to make Irish punch: whiskey, cloves, lemon, honey, and hot water.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 17, 2018, 12:59:47 pm »

That sounds amazing, despite what the butter would do to my stomach (what, am I just going to give up dairy just because it makes me sick?). Mulled?
You can do it just fine without the butter as well. And yeah, mulled in my smallest pot since it's just for me and I don't need more than the cups in a go, which is about what that holds.

Similarly, it finally got cool enough here to make Irish punch: whiskey, cloves, lemon, honey, and hot water.
The season is why I'm making cider as well, naturally. It's something I used to get as a kid at the farm where they grow pumpkins and Christmas trees when I was a kid, though these days they focus on the trees and pumpkins are elsewhere. Still seasonal enough.

Your irish punch seems pretty much the same thing, minus the apples, but whisky plus honey is a good substitute for run and one citrus isn't far from another for this purpose, although I wouldn't use a lime. But then again, maybe the lime would get along well with the allspice.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:33 pm »

You might potentially want to look into ghee/clarified butter as well. My mom's lactose intolerant and when we were in India she actually managed the (many, many) ghee-using dishes quite handily. She's even taken to doing the clarification process at home for various uses.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 17, 2018, 11:04:10 pm »

Sunflower seeds:  The perfect snack food?
They're kinda salty, but a bag of the shelled kind are like an hour of healthy tasty fun for 50c.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: October 18, 2018, 02:38:41 am »

They're kinda salty, but a bag of the shelled kind are like an hour of healthy tasty fun for 50c.
Beards and a less-than-expert proficiency in spitting out shell fragments do not mix.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:46 pm »

Beards and a less-than-expert proficiency in spitting out shell fragments do not mix.
Or rather, they do. And that's the problem.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: October 21, 2018, 11:09:13 pm »

Okay so you all agree with my friends that I'm crazy for individually cracking the shells with my teeth, then picking out the delicious seeds with my nails

when I could get a bag of only the seeds for the exact same 50 cents

which logically must contain about 3X as much delicious sunflower fruit because the shells take up most of the volume.

Okay but the thing is that it's a way to eat without eating.  The stupid urge to overeat is satisfied.  It's a diet thing, except not because I don't *plan* my eating.

Edit: I'm actually curious about what the normal way is.  I see that people spit the shells out, but how the heck do they consume the kernel and then spit out the shell?  That seems like a complicated process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:12:23 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: October 22, 2018, 03:21:29 am »

Crack the shell, "pocket" the kernel, spit the shell, eat the kernel. I'm hardly an expert though, so the pros might do things differently.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: October 22, 2018, 10:22:48 am »

Okay so you all agree with my friends that I'm crazy for individually cracking the shells with my teeth, then picking out the delicious seeds with my nails

when I could get a bag of only the seeds for the exact same 50 cents

which logically must contain about 3X as much delicious sunflower fruit because the shells take up most of the volume.

Okay but the thing is that it's a way to eat without eating.  The stupid urge to overeat is satisfied.  It's a diet thing, except not because I don't *plan* my eating.

Edit: I'm actually curious about what the normal way is.  I see that people spit the shells out, but how the heck do they consume the kernel and then spit out the shell?  That seems like a complicated process.

Entertainment and food all in one! My weakness is roasted pistachios.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 334