Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557373 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3975 on: September 17, 2018, 10:06:59 am »

Yeah, fish farming as a whole needs considerably better regulation (not to mention enforcement of that regulation, as Norway's industry has shown again just recently) to be considered a decent alternative, but there are still farms that at least try to be ethically defensible. It varies considerably from one farm ownership to another.

Wild fishing is more just a concern about managing wild populations and not using trawlers (or nets in general, preferably), which can generally be checked up on. Trawlers have also been going somewhat out of style with more awareness and regulations surrounding them. There's always mercury, particularly in bigger predators (and this is notably a big concern to people in the Faroe islands), but that's more the fault of land-based industries being shitters. Shitting where shitting is due.

Free range is fine, if it's actually free range... Which is complicated, due to its official definition as per the FDA perhaps not being entirely what John Q. would naturally assume. Dairy is also fine if the animals are properly taken care of in general (which, again, varies considerably). Dairy cows are in kind of the same position as domestic sheep in that their bodies don't regulate their production like a wild animal's would, so you're not "stealing" a calf's milk or necessitating a painful separation of mother and calf. It can be difficult finding ethical cattle farms though, due to the large area needs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: September 17, 2018, 11:00:40 pm »

I wouldn't say free range chicken is ethically better. It may be healthier if the chickens are actually getting to forage, but it's also adulterating more land. Of course the chickens are happier, but people underestimate how happy chickens are to sit around clucking all day in the first place, and no matter what you eat, meat or otherwise, something has to suffer in some form.
Seafood is a mine field of bad shit, unfortunately. Even farm raised fish are starting to have problems because of overcrowding, leading to disease and ecological contamination from so many fish in one spot. Not to mention the food they feed them has a bunch of toxic shit in it which makes its way in to your body. And with regular commercial fishing you get all the badness that comes from open waters, particularly in Europe.
Farmed fish are also typically fed on bycatch anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: September 18, 2018, 08:57:39 am »

Also these reprocessed food pellets that contain all sorts of additives which are bad for you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3978 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:36 am »

So I made spaghetti in the slow cooker last night, the noodles are perfect but the meat didn't cook all the way through... So now I have a bucket worth of probably not the most safe food ever. Any ideas for how to fix this mess? I can't just throw all this away.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: September 18, 2018, 10:11:31 am »

Put it in an oven dish, add some cheese on top and finish it in the oven.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3980 on: September 18, 2018, 10:18:24 am »

Put it in an oven dish, add some cheese on top and finish it in the oven.
I LOVE CHEESE YOU'RE A GENIUS THANKS MARTINUZZ

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: September 18, 2018, 11:03:24 am »

How do you make spaghetti in a slow cooker? I would've figured that it'd get over-moist and goopy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3982 on: September 18, 2018, 11:06:37 am »

Yeah I just throw the raw spaghetti, sauce, and meat in the slow cooker, and usually I add vegetables. It turns out just fine if I cook it on high, the noodles won't be as firm as if you cooked them on the stove but it's not a big deal to me. My problem with the meat being undercooked was that I didn't separate the meat into small enough pieces, I like the beef chunky.

E: Browning the meat on the stove with the sauce makes much tastier spaghetti and I could get firmer noodles because it wouldn't need to cook in the slow cooker as long, but the reason I use the slow cooker is because I can throw stuff in there and go to sleep or go to work and have a meal ready, so doing cooking on the stove top kind of defeats that whole advantage.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:17:52 am by Parsely »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »

I've never tried cooking the meat along with everything else when I've made spaghetti in the slow cooker.  My general process is to brown the hamburger or sausage first, then put it in the slow cooker with the sauce for a few hours on low.  Then I put the noodles in along with a can of tomato sauce and cook it on high for an hour to an hour and a half.  The noodles usually aren't quite as tender as when boiling them, but I really like the ticker sauce it makes when done this way.

Thinking on it, you probably could cook the hamburger in the sauce just fine.  I'd just think you'd want to do it on low for maybe 4+ hours, and probably add some water to it so it doesn't get too thick.  I'd still probably add the noodles and more liquid as a second step and cook it on high for an hour or two though.  It would probably be a little tricky to cook it all together in one step and have the meat both done and the noodles not done to death.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: September 19, 2018, 01:35:03 pm »

It would probably be grand if you went with pulled pork instead of ground beef.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:21:15 pm by Cruxador »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3985 on: September 20, 2018, 06:07:52 am »

Ground beef is the cheapest meat I can buy other than some chicken products, but I didn't buy chicken this month. Browning the beef is objectively better but takes more time.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:58 am »

It would probably be grand if you went with pulled pork instead of ground beef.

Speaking of this, is anyone else fond of making lasagna with unconventional ingredients?  I frequently make lasagna with chicken, but using alfredo sauce instead of tomato, and have attempted to do the same with shrimp with less good results.

Anyway, I just made a lasagna with pulled pork BBQ, and it turned out pretty nicely I think.  The final results would depend a lot on the kind of sauce you used, I imagine.  This BBQ was made with a ketchup based sauce, so when it came time to make the lasagna I just mixed some of the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce together, and it worked out great.

I'm not quite sure what you'd do if you like BBQ based on mustard sauces or just vinegar.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: September 21, 2018, 12:24:54 pm »

I like phở with broccoli.

There, I've said it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: September 21, 2018, 12:41:42 pm »

Alfredo sauce, cheese sauce in general, is such a thrill to me.  I would eat Italian cheesy pasta forever but I don't exercise off that much carbs, but hnng, it's a great treat food.

Instead I go with beans and carbs, and only go heavy on the salt because I have a history of low blood pressure, and possibly go too far with the salt nowadays.  But I keep my alright figure without having to burn it off.  Diet doesn't replace exercise, but there's a different diet when one isn't exercising.

I can't stop thinking about that jar of alfredo I have ready, and the whole wheat noodles.  Even though I barely ate for two days after last time, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 04, 2018, 07:11:34 pm »

Alfredo sauce, cheese sauce in general, is such a thrill to me.  I would eat Italian cheesy pasta forever but I don't exercise off that much carbs, but hnng, it's a great treat food.

Instead I go with beans and carbs, and only go heavy on the salt because I have a history of low blood pressure, and possibly go too far with the salt nowadays.  But I keep my alright figure without having to burn it off.  Diet doesn't replace exercise, but there's a different diet when one isn't exercising.

I can't stop thinking about that jar of alfredo I have ready, and the whole wheat noodles.  Even though I barely ate for two days after last time, heh.

I could never get tired of pasta. My current favourite is pesto and feta with conchiglie pasta shells.

Sometimes I trick myself into thinking my diet has variety by making noodles instead. Noodles with with homemade kimchi, stir-fried veggies and sesame oil = yaaay

But then I realise that's just another form of pasta too ._.

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 334