Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556690 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3900 on: February 28, 2018, 01:16:24 am »

The leftover mashed potatoes can then be fried the next morning
Hmm, I've always been fond of eating leftover mashed potatoes on toast the next day, but frying them sounds like it would be delicious too. Might have to make some mash in the near future... and control myself enough to have leftovers, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3901 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:14 am »

Make sure you peel the tomatoes first, nobody likes bits of skin randomly peppered in the meal waiting to get stuck between your teeth.
You can peel tomatoes?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:37 am »

You can. It involved boiling whole tomatoes for a minute or two, until they split. then the peel comes right off.

Alternately, use a food mill (Also with boiled tomatoes) which purees and separates the seeds at the same time.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: February 28, 2018, 06:41:53 am »

It also depends on the kind of tomato, the bigger ones usually have a rather strong skin, sometimes you don't even have to use the boiling water trick. It's a bit of a hassle to do, but imo it's very much worth it if you're using them fresh in something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: March 28, 2018, 11:46:59 am »

I like food. Unfortunately, I have no motivation or energy. As such, dinner for me is usually the exact same dish for weeks on end, because it requires one step, nonperishable and cheap ingredients and about 14 minutes, and I have little to no chance of fucking it up.

Also, eating out in this country can burn a week's wages in a single dinner, and I don't even have a job. And that's just if you can manage to find any place that serves real food! The native populace is deeply suspicious of spices, vegetables, and flavor in general... I recently overheard someone asking a shop clerk if they knew any good restaurants nearby. The clerk asked what kind of cuisine they were looking for, and the man simply replied "meat".

Also, we have no freezer, a crowded kitchen space, and one of those little college beer fridges shared between two people. One of whom is on the keto thing, which means we make and eat our meals entirely separate (I tried, man. It's just not worth it). So food storage is at a premium, and I can't just make a colossal stew on a day when I have energy to be frozen and portioned out afterwards.

On the bright side, I live in what probably passes for a ghetto around here, and the large immigrant population means I have access to actual ingredients... Seriously, the "normal" grocery stores in this country tried to claim customer service when they started individually packaging leeks with all the greens chopped off.

Good god I need to go to Italy...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: March 28, 2018, 12:09:03 pm »

It's hard cooking proportionately.

I accidentally made about a half gallon of meat sauce (there wasn't much flavor to speak of but the texture was absolutely amazing). That was enough to liberally sauce up our spaghetti, with enough left over for my wife to dump it into the next day's chili.

I like the idea of all-day recipes but they just don't scale well to two people. This is coming from the guy who dreams of making timpano. I think I just have to embrace the "big family" cook style and pawn it all off on coworkers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:07 am »

That's when you make enough to have microwavable leftovers for the week.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:45 pm »

It's hard cooking proportionately.

I accidentally made about a half gallon of meat sauce (there wasn't much flavor to speak of but the texture was absolutely amazing). That was enough to liberally sauce up our spaghetti, with enough left over for my wife to dump it into the next day's chili.

I like the idea of all-day recipes but they just don't scale well to two people. This is coming from the guy who dreams of making timpano. I think I just have to embrace the "big family" cook style and pawn it all off on coworkers.

Yeah, just make shitloads and freeze it for the week's food. Stuff like tomato-y meat sauce is superb, plus it's a solid base for many Italian cuisines.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3908 on: March 31, 2018, 01:21:10 pm »

I made some dough that I'm going to use to make kringle tomorrow. It's gonna be   t a s t y

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: March 31, 2018, 06:07:26 pm »

S a u c e y  p a r s l e y
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: April 06, 2018, 01:03:32 pm »

Got a slow cooker for my birthday! Now only time will tell if I manage to screw up "push button and wait".

Anyone know any decent vegetarian recipes for a slow cooker? Not that I'm averse to melt-in-mouth lamb or soluble pork sections (such as the one I'm currently breaking the cooker in with), but I tend to prefer keeping overall meat consumption relatively low, and I intend to use the cooker fairly regularly.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: April 06, 2018, 02:13:49 pm »

Anyone know any decent vegetarian recipes for a slow cooker? Not that I'm averse to melt-in-mouth lamb or soluble pork sections (such as the one I'm currently breaking the cooker in with), but I tend to prefer keeping overall meat consumption relatively low, and I intend to use the cooker fairly regularly.

Vegetarian chili?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:25 pm »

Anyone know any decent vegetarian recipes for a slow cooker?

Lentil stew. Depending on what type of vegetarian you are, wait until it's done, make some divots in the surface, then crack a raw egg into each. Wait until those are done as well. Serve and eat.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: April 06, 2018, 02:51:02 pm »

Vegetarian chili?
I've been considering this, and I've got a pretty baller veg chili recipe I tend to use for putting in tacos (it may be sacrilege, but I think it works), but there's a lot of prep involved and I don't know how to convert it over to slow cooking.

One thing I've been wondering in particular is what kind of bean prep is preferred. Dry? Pre-cooked? Soaked?

Lentil stew. Depending on what type of vegetarian you are, wait until it's done, make some divots in the surface, then crack a raw egg into each. Wait until those are done as well. Serve and eat.
Sounds fun, what kind of lentils do you tend to use for that? I'm across the street from a Turkish grocer that caters to the local Indian and Pakistani (and Turkish, of course) populations, so I've got access to the gamut of dals and other legumes. Not generally a huge egg-eater, but I enjoy an eggy delight from time to time. I just couldn't eat them every day.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »

Sounds fun, what kind of lentils do you tend to use for that?

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about lentils. The first thing I picked up contained the red variety so that's what I used.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 334