Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556676 times)

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3855 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:24 pm »

Sounds like you need to sharpen your blades.
Do it every other time you use them and whet stone them when the steel doesn't seem as effective.
Your knives are important like teeth you should take care of your tools
××××××××××××××××××

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:21 pm »

Sounds like you need to sharpen your blades.
Do it every other time you use them and whet stone them when the steel doesn't seem as effective.
Your knives are important like teeth you should take care of your tools

I do sharpen them, actually, which would be why I assumed they were sharp. Not every other time I use them since these are in constant use, but I did sharpen this one immediately before trying this. I still couldn't get much thinner than a 1.5 mm slice without some tearing.

Now, we can go back and forth about what astronomically high 10,000,000,000 grit Japanese water stone I need and so forth, but I'm more inclined to suspect the blade is just too wide or stiff, since the salmon kept sticking to it. Thus my asking after the right geometry for the task; to reduce it to a similarly axiomatic degree, using the right tool for the job is important.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: September 13, 2017, 02:16:26 am »

Spoiler: Phase one complete. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: It is done. Behold. (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: September 13, 2017, 02:40:28 am »

Dude, your hair (I'm jealous, even though I've still got reasonably thick long hair at my age). You should start a metal band, you have that rock-star look.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:37:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:27 am »

Pasta sauce is rediculously easy.

Just boil a bunch of tomatoes for a few minutes, till the skins start coming off.

Then pull off the skins, either by letting them cool first, or some tongs.

Then blend them, pour a bit of oil into a pot, heat it up, dump some spices, fry a bit, dump the sauce, add some salt, and boil for a bit.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:59 am »

Pasta sauce is rediculously easy.

Just boil a bunch of tomatoes for a few minutes, till the skins start coming off.

Then pull off the skins, either by letting them cool first, or some tongs.

Then blend them, pour a bit of oil into a pot, heat it up, dump some spices, fry a bit, dump the sauce, add some salt, and boil for a bit.

Can confirm, pasta sauce is obscenely easy. It's basically just like you're making bolognese ragu but without the meat. I personally prefer adding a bit of oregano and paprika.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:53 am »

What's a good "snack" vegetable to bring with my lunch? For a while now I've been having either carrots or pepporincini. Is there anything else I could try?

Yoink, your appearance reminds me strongly of Weird Al Yankovic. ...Which actually makes this all the more relevant to this thread.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: September 13, 2017, 06:19:55 am »

Oh sorry, I assumed you were using the right knife cause I have a collection and forget others don't have my obsession.

What's a good "snack" vegetable to bring with my lunch? For a while now I've been having either carrots or pepporincini. Is there anything else I could try?

Pickled Cabbage? Celery? Dried Onion, french fries!?
××××××××××××××××××

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: October 01, 2017, 10:13:55 pm »

Bought some polenta.
Never cooked it before and only had it as chips at a hipster restaurant I like.
Made some for a girl and I for breakfast and it is so fucking good.
Just had tomatoes garlic and chilli on it.
I've found my new every dish best friend.
I also tried some duck pickle. Enjoyed it but it has dead quacker in it so I must put it down
××××××××××××××××××

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:39 pm »

I recently tried a new (for me) way of making garlic bread that turned out well. I made a confit of the garlic in olive oil with bay leaf and thyme the day before, then ground the garlic and infused oil with butter. That, rosemary, thyme, and a mixture of chèvre and Parmesan spread on a sliced baguette and broiled until the tips of the cheese turned brown made something that was apparently "the best garlic bread ever" according to my partner, who is currently vociferously insisting that I make more.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 05, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »

Tried a parsnip for the first time, after starting up Stardew Valley again(parsnips are the first seeds you get). Was pretty decent, but I think the reason they were on sale for pretty cheap was that they had matured too long and the inner core was too woody to eat. Similar to a carrot in texture, but sweeter.

Also gave me a weird idea for parsnip-flavored soda.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 05, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »

So I got a bunch of chilli peppers ( well, some sort of small, heckin' hot red pepper). I'm thinking of making some sort of sauce, any suggestions or ideas? I've got a rough thing in my head with some tomatoes and some assorted spices but other than that bog standard thing I don't have much of a plan.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 05, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »

Oh hey Jopax, haven't seen you around in a while!

Uh, hot chillis go best in things like curry or laksa or similar soups. I guess you could make a chilli con carne if you're feeling Latin. Or heck, even a spicy spaghetti bolognaise can be nice sometimes.

Of course, even if you're a chilli champion, i'd go pretty sparing with the chilli. Avoid seeds, prefer flesh.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 06, 2017, 03:22:05 am »

I dunno about parsnips, but the local Asian supermarket has these awesome turnip cakes. Pretty greasy, but so good for being fried ground-up turnips.

Also, in my excitement at finally having a microwave for the first time in years, I tried a tv dinner.
... My "cereal" of instant potatoes and warm water doesn't just outflavor their mashed potatoes, but the "meatloaf" :P

That's fine, it's for heating leftovers~
(Also popcorn. I ate a lot of popcorn this week. Need to buy more limes soon, I love that combo.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:42 pm »

Tried a parsnip for the first time, after starting up Stardew Valley again(parsnips are the first seeds you get). Was pretty decent, but I think the reason they were on sale for pretty cheap was that they had matured too long and the inner core was too woody to eat. Similar to a carrot in texture, but sweeter.

Also gave me a weird idea for parsnip-flavored soda.

Parsnips are awesome for roasted veg-fries. I baked them all the time alongside a carrot, only switching to double the carrots instead when I noticed carrots are simultaneously both cheaper and less energy-dense.

I can also heavily recommend roasting Hokkaido squashes, I will happily eat the whole damn thing in one sitting, and unlike other pumpkins, they don't need peeling.

If you're feeling lazy, bell peppers are great too.

E: Also also - brussel sprouts, also roasted, with some balsamic vinegar preferably.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:26:26 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 334