Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556624 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3825 on: August 15, 2017, 02:12:02 pm »

Hey now, molasses is king for american baked beans. Molasses, brown sugar, and bacon.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46:54 pm »

I think perhaps a lot of the stuff against English cooking is that they perhaps don't have the sauces to go with it.

We don't always use the sauces while cooking it itself, but as something we add when eating the meal.
We have twenty billion kinds of sauces - e.g HP sauce, Worchester sauce, pickles, chutneys and mustards; all of which have meals they go with.

That said it's always had a lot more variety and flavour than foreigners may have claimed. With the size of the Empire, we had plenty of access to spices and foreign dishes we adapted. Chicken Tikka Misala was like as not invented in Glasgow, after all.

They consider boiled vegetables proper food.

They don't even put salt in the water.
Yes we do.

Source: Am British

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: August 15, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »

MOST people cook vegetables incorrectly. I am not going to hold it against England.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: August 15, 2017, 03:04:01 pm »

Most if not all vegetables are ruined if boiled / steamed beyond al dente.

Notoriously, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts become particularily disgusting when boiled for too long.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: August 15, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »

Hey did you know Broccoli shouldn't taste bitter?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »

Most if not all vegetables are ruined if boiled / steamed beyond al dente.

Notoriously, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts become particularily disgusting when boiled for too long.

Given the choice, I steam the first two and roast Brussels sprouts. Asparagus is about the only thing I boil*, and that only so I can steam the heads above water while boiling the stalks so they become tender at the same time.

*aside from root vegetables intended for mashing

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:13 am »

Asparagus is also really good roasted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:24 am »

Asparagus is also really good roasted.

That is how I prefer it.

I can't imagine it being all that good boiled.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3833 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:49 am »

I find squash delicious when steamed until soft (and even better roasted), and broccoli and cauliflower not particularly objectionable steamed (although sauteed broccoli is absurdly good). Brussels sprouts, on the other hand, I have yet to find a way of redeeming.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: August 16, 2017, 08:30:26 am »

I PERSONALLY think it is because the English, in some respects, don't put their best foot forward.

A lot of the dishes the English are known for are unelevated subsistence dishes.

The French have a lot of subsistence dishes as well... But they aren't known for those... They are known for Parisian cooking.

For example I look up English Breakfast and I get this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I look up French Breakfast and I get this:

-On a side note: ANOTHER disgusting food in an English picture of food I find? We should eliminate Molasses beans from existence!
-Note note: I didn't just pick the best and worst pictures I found...

Are you high? You think croissants are better than a fried breakfast?? And wtf is your problem with beans?

Most of the 'omg britain cant cook' american meme comes from ww2 soldiers coming over and being fed turnip ends or something 'cause yanno, there wasn't shit all to eat. But you have to agree that haggis is actually the best thing to exist.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:33:07 am by Caz »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:04 am »

I got the impression that Neonivek found images which go against the "common wisdom" of French food always being better.  The French are just more famous for their weird foods, they still have rather mundane breakfasts, while British breakfasts are a bit... more interesting, maybe?

Except I think he doesn't like molasses beans, which I'm on the fence about.  I don't usually like beans sweetened, but breakfast is the only time I have a sweet tooth.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:26 am »

Most of the 'omg britain cant cook' american meme comes from ww2 soldiers coming over and being fed turnip ends or something 'cause yanno, there wasn't shit all to eat. But you have to agree that haggis is actually the best thing to exist.

But then, how do you explain that the rest of Europe agrees that Britain can't cook? The only bias I see is that evidently not enough people have been to Russia to realize that, well, Britain isn't that bad.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:20 am »

Same reason why all black people are thieves.

Every cuisine has its good and bad.
Lets say we remove the spice trade equation from the British cooking, does whole roast boar sound bland? Or hedgehog and fennel?
××××××××××××××××××

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: August 16, 2017, 10:15:13 am »

I PERSONALLY think it is because the English, in some respects, don't put their best foot forward.

A lot of the dishes the English are known for are unelevated subsistence dishes.

The French have a lot of subsistence dishes as well... But they aren't known for those... They are known for Parisian cooking.

For example I look up English Breakfast and I get this:

I look up French Breakfast and I get this:

-On a side note: ANOTHER disgusting food in an English picture of food I find? We should eliminate Molasses beans from existence!
-Note note: I didn't just pick the best and worst pictures I found...

Are you high? You think croissants are better than a fried breakfast?? And wtf is your problem with beans?

Haggis is great, yeah.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »

Also forgive my ignorance... but what is the cookie looking thing on both place...
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 334