Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556578 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3735 on: November 27, 2016, 03:46:18 am »

I'm looking to make some tuna sushi rolls for lunch next week. I'm restocking the rice and nori tomorrow, but is there any kind of vegetable or other thing I should put in them with the tuna?

You already have too many ingredients! You just need tuna and rice (Ngirizushi is best sushi)!

In all seriousness though, you might want to consider some pickled ginger and wasabi as a garnish, but beyond that, if you have good quality maguro (or better still, toro), you really don't actually want or need additional ingredients in the sushi itself. Just make sure the fish is as fresh as possible, and you serve it as soon as possible after you cut it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: November 27, 2016, 06:42:13 am »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: November 27, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »

I also made something resembling pie!

Being from the US midwest, I thought those green things were tomatoes. Now I want to try that with fried green tomatoes.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3738 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:19 pm »

A friend insists to me that you can't put leftovers in the fridge until they are completely cool. If they're still warm (not even hot -- warm), he swears putting them in the fridge will damage them. Anyone have any info one way or the other?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3739 on: November 28, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »

A friend insists to me that you can't put leftovers in the fridge until they are completely cool. If they're still warm (not even hot -- warm), he swears putting them in the fridge will damage them. Anyone have any info one way or the other?
Definitively false. Source: I eat food. Sometimes I don't eat all the food, and so I put it in the fridge for eating another day. I often do so while the food is still hot. The food is still good the next day. It's a bit worse than if I had eaten it fresh and warm, but that's the norm.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »

This is probably misinformation but I always thought we waited for our food to cool down to prevent it from heating up sensitive items in the fridge before becoming cool itself.. The containers in this case are usually plastic so breakage isn't a concern.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3741 on: November 28, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

After a bit of googling, looks like it's a total myth. It doesn't affect the fridge at all and doesn't hurt the food in any way. In fact, it's worse to wait for it to cool, because then it will spend more time at room temperature, where bacteria thrives.

Thanks, uncle Google!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: December 02, 2016, 05:45:50 pm »

According to my doctor, I have high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol. What changes to my diet can I make to correct this?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

I also made something resembling pie!

Being from the US midwest, I thought those green things were tomatoes. Now I want to try that with fried green tomatoes.
Based on that, before following the link, I assumed tomatillos.  Which apparently Firefox wasn't aware of... which is sad, because verde sauce is great.

Actually those look *really* green for eggplant, but I don't know squash squat when it comes to cooking.
I have definitely done that and experienced no ill effects, and I can't even imagine any reason it would be bad.  And I'm pretty sure even a steaming hot dish couldn't harm nearby dishes to any real extent.  Does sound familiar, though.

Mainly?
Posting to watch.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: December 03, 2016, 08:23:33 pm »

The only risk I know to refrigerating hot food is with really large batches (like 50+ pounds). If you don't do something to rapidly cool the food, the center can remain at bacteria-friendly temperatures long enough for them to grow there. But this isn't something the average person should have to worry about often.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3745 on: December 06, 2016, 01:08:29 pm »

Delicious butternut/pumpkin puff/crumpet recipe from a lady at my church:

Take 1 cup strained butternut/pumpkin mash, 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, and a beaten egg. Mix well, which should give you a mix pretty similar to crumpet or waffle batter. Put tablespoon dollops into decently hot oil, and cook until golden brown.

Drain them on some paper towel, scatter cinnamon and sugar on them, and try to resist the urge to devour all of them because these turned out really tasty.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:45 pm »

Huh, imitation crab is disappointing.
Not the taste - I like the taste - but two things:
The first cooking instructions I found were 10 years old, and basically were insisting it is precooked.  When I'm almost positive it isn't...  It has the typical uncooked "safe handling" blurb.
Also?  It started growing visible bits of green mold, despite being refrigerated and wrapped like any other raw meat, in 3 days.

Course, it's cheap meat from a value supermarket, so I get what I pay for - it was only $2.  Which goes to show how much cheaper raw ingredients are than canned or prepared foods, actually...  Was a pretty sizeable packet of fishmeat for two bucks.

Wasn't on clearance, but maybe should have been :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: December 15, 2016, 06:08:11 pm »

Finally tried my hand at making sushi rolls. A cup of rice, and about a cup and a half water, cooked it. Tossed it with 1/3 cup sushi vinegar, and had enough to fill two sheets of nori. Split a can of tuna between the two and sprinkled some seasame seeds. I wanted to add some hot sauce, but the vinegar added enough tanginess that it wasn't necessary. They tasted good, though they were pretty much falling apart when I tried to cut them. I have enough left over for sizable lunches for the next two days.

Any tips on cleaning the pot? Every time I cook with sushi rice(and even long-grain rice), there's often a sizable amount stuck to the bottom of the pot and it's really hard to get clean. Even letting it soak for several minutes with dish soap wasn't enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:27 pm »

Rice usually takes more than several minutes of soaking to unstick, lol. It also suggests that you might be using more water than necessary to cook your rice. Try using slightly less water (eg. 95% instead of 100% full cup of water) when cooking rice?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: December 17, 2016, 12:43:30 pm »

I made my own bagels.

I also made my own cream cheese.

The recipe asked for high gluten flour, and since I have no idea what's the baseline, I tried mixing white and whole-wheat flour together.

The result was very tough bagels, but quite tasty nonetheless.

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 334