Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556559 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3705 on: November 22, 2016, 09:18:33 am »

Not actually a suggestion. I just dropped in to be sad about the fact that there are some foods I'll probably never prepare (like the aforementioned lentils) because they're sold in somewhat large bags and I don't want to buy that much of something if I end up disliking it.
You got a freezer? Buy everything, then throw everything you don't like into it. You will be glad you did it once civilization inevitably collapses.
But wouldn't the power die when civilization collapses?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3706 on: November 22, 2016, 11:12:44 am »

I ended up throwing about 100g of lentils into a curry and cutting back on the rice to compensate. Didn't cut the rice back enough, but it was otherwise successful and tasty. It tastes a little like soy-based beef substitute, which I suppose is reasonable.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:22 am »

Not actually a suggestion. I just dropped in to be sad about the fact that there are some foods I'll probably never prepare (like the aforementioned lentils) because they're sold in somewhat large bags and I don't want to buy that much of something if I end up disliking it.
You got a freezer? Buy everything, then throw everything you don't like into it. You will be glad you did it once civilization inevitably collapses.
But wouldn't the power die when civilization collapses?
This is why you also have reserve generators.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: November 22, 2016, 02:14:12 pm »

I ended up throwing about 100g of lentils into a curry and cutting back on the rice to compensate. Didn't cut the rice back enough, but it was otherwise successful and tasty. It tastes a little like soy-based beef substitute, which I suppose is reasonable.
Since you have red lentils, what you need to do is:

- Wash lentils
- Fry onions, throw in a couple spices (not the salt! That goes in last! If you put it in early, the lentils won't cook well.)
- Throw in whatever vegetables you want, stir for a bit
- Put in lentils, stir for a bit
- Pour in water and beer, 1:1. How much depends on what sort of soup you want - thick or less thick
- Cook until the lentils lose their structural integrity
- Now add salt.

Ta-daah! A very versatile recipe that's guaranteed to give a delicious meal. If you want the whole deal to be a bit more satiating, throw in a bit of rice as well. Not too much though, else the soup will dry up!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3709 on: November 22, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

And if I'm teetotal and don't have beer in the house? :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25:11 pm »

Water should work, though it'll make it more bland. I'd go with some broth as a beer replacement here (though personally, I'd buy a beer just to cook with if I didn't have any).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: November 22, 2016, 06:19:52 pm »

It's tough to buy just "a" beer, isn't it? I seem to only be able to find such drinks in 6+-packs, which is annoying when I merely wish to sample a beverage :X
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:35 pm »

It's tough to buy just "a" beer, isn't it? I seem to only be able to find such drinks in 6+-packs, which is annoying when I merely wish to sample a beverage :X

Most liquor stores around me sell big single bottles of beer, but they are pretty large.  Maybe that is just how it is in Canada though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:26:32 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: November 22, 2016, 06:29:27 pm »

Since you have red lentils, what you need to do is:

- Wash lentils
- Fry onions, throw in a couple spices (not the salt! That goes in last! If you put it in early, the lentils won't cook well.)
- Throw in whatever vegetables you want, stir for a bit
- Put in lentils, stir for a bit
- Pour in water and beer, 1:1. How much depends on what sort of soup you want - thick or less thick
- Cook until the lentils lose their structural integrity
- Now add salt.

Ta-daah! A very versatile recipe that's guaranteed to give a delicious meal. If you want the whole deal to be a bit more satiating, throw in a bit of rice as well. Not too much though, else the soup will dry up!
This is basically the beer soup that Rincewind makes in the Last Continent, isn't it? Only less potaters.

Most liquor stores around me sell big single bottles of beer, but they are pretty large.  Maybe that is just how it is in Canada though.
In Russian, a 2L plastic bottle of beer is colloquially known as a titty. You know you're gop trash when you're squatting in a padik (your apartment block entrance), sucking Bely Medved (lager-like pisswater) from a titty.
...I dunno why I thought you needed to know that.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: November 22, 2016, 07:21:15 pm »

Shove your lentils into a blender along with some soy and enough liquid to make it a shake. Add green food coloring. Laugh madly at a joke that your family won't get.

Dammit, that's actually pretty funny.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:09 pm »

Most bars/pubs are willing to offer a sample of whatever beers they have on tap.
So, you could just go to one of those, sample their tap beers, then once you find one you like just sprint out the door holding your sample glass and run home to use it in your cooking. Might need to repeat the process at multiple establishments, depending on how small their glasses are and how much water you're using.

Edit:
In Russian, a 2L plastic bottle of beer is colloquially known as a titty. You know you're gop trash when you're squatting in a padik (your apartment block entrance), sucking Bely Medved (lager-like pisswater) from a titty.
Two whole liters... of beer... in a bottle with an amusing name?
Man, I already knew Russia was great, but I had no idea it reached such levels of awesome as that. I'd consider emigrating, but unfortunately my poor balance and circulation both make me rather unsuited to squatting for extended periods. Also I probably wouldn't survive the first chilly weather. :-\
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:32:37 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3716 on: November 23, 2016, 11:04:46 am »

Hm... In the Czech Republic, the big bottles of beer are 1.5 liters. A half liter is standard size. Also, it's literally cheaper than (bottled) water. Also the best beer in the world.

Come to Prague, everyone!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: November 23, 2016, 11:28:44 am »

Since we're talking about booze, here's one of the highlights of a local grocery. Hundreds of boozy drinks of all types, all in "build yourself a six pack" racks.

Somewhat related, go make sloppy joes. Make the sauce with alcoholic cola/root beer (if you're into that) or Moxie (if you're not). Moxie is kind of nasty but this made it amazing.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: November 23, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »

Since we're talking about booze, here's one of the highlights of a local grocery.
Huh, that's not bad at all.
As another booze-related aside, the beer situation over here has been steadily improving during the last few years. We got a lot of pretty good beer, some of it britbeer-inspired (britbeer best beer, Britannia rules, you drool, fite me m8</sarc>).
Also I discovered a really nice peppermint mead a few days ago, and it was really great.

I googled sloppy joe, and it looks delicious. Sounds like some sort of particularly depraved sex act, though.

Back to the topic of booze! You can make bread with dark beer instead of water! It's pretty good!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: November 23, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »

Eating a sloppy joe basically is a depraved one-person sex act.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 334