Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556541 times)

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3660 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:39 pm »

Its Pizza night tonight!
Feel free to come over to our house, bring some beers and whiskey.
We will be listening to reggae slowly fading into classic rock then some psytrance.
Obviously like last time there will be mario kart and smash for the fellow nintendorks and drunk drivers!
Maybe a preset game of D&D. Doubt it, no one likes to dm with around
Have some 2 year old fire works that may end in a hospital visit and a nice fire outside to burn the heathens paper waste after.
Pizza is magarita, chilli and lime, pepperroni and motz, finaly but not least spinach blue cheese tomatoes, peppers and chilli all thin crust (havnt learnt deep dish yet)
Let the ley lines weaken!
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: November 05, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »

Can anyone recommend good things to cook for a college student with a lot of funds but very little fridge space? Bonus points if its ingredients can be stored outside the fridge.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: November 05, 2016, 04:50:57 pm »

Can anyone recommend good things to cook for a college student with a lot of funds but very little fridge space? Bonus points if its ingredients can be stored outside the fridge.

Off the top of my head, dried pasta and canned goods. Making your own spaghetti is pretty dope. Another, quicker, cheaper option is ramen with customized garnishes. Veggies, eggs, that sort of thing. Surprisingly delicious and turns normally unhealthy ramen packets into an actual meal with some nutritional value. Spam based meals are also an option, as grilled spam and eggs is damn good. My apologies if you're looking for something a little more fancy, but I lived like this, pocketing some extra cash when I was in the Air Force.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: November 05, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

Beans and rice. Lentils*, too. And onions, lots of onions.

*Try replacing half their water with beer - it's delishus. Dark beer works best, but pretty much any type should do.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: November 05, 2016, 11:57:41 pm »

Grains, tubers and rice are probably your best option. You can make quite a pleasant, nutritious dish with egg, broccoli, rice and a few seasonings. It's fantastic when you're on a budget, though I don't know what German broccoli prices are like.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: November 06, 2016, 02:33:46 am »

Yep. Get pasta, dried beans/lentils/rice. Save fridge space for weekly veggies and eggs, maybe a little meat if you eat it and have a freezer/cook within a day or so of purchase. Pretty standard. Most fruit that isn't berries or citrus can be kept out of the fridge if you're going to eat it in a week or so, same deal with potatoes and uncut onions (albeit for longer than that), that's an easy way to save space. Honestly you don't need much fridge space if you're not keeping a bunch of liquids or storing veggies + deli meat/cheese + yogurt cups for multiple people.

But yeah just get dried basics and weekly pick up whatever veg and protein you want to make. Try to buy smaller portions of everything perishable, especially if you don't have a freezer for meat or are using a fridge too small to have a crisper drawer or two. Despite the above, for simple no-cook food yogurt cups tend to be pretty space-efficient.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: November 06, 2016, 05:14:01 am »

Yeah, a simple dessert could be something like Greek yogurt mixed with honey or jam. Honey itself can be left in a pantry, jam probably can. Here at least, you can buy big Greek yogurt containers for pretty cheap, though I doubt a single person could get through a litre of it before it went mouldy.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: November 08, 2016, 05:06:03 am »

Here at least, you can buy big Greek yogurt containers for pretty cheap, though I doubt a single person could get through a litre of it before it went mouldy.

Lol.

I can go through a kilo of yoghurt in about a fortnight.

You have it with nuts and fruit for breakfast.
You use it to marinate lamb or chicken for kebabs.
You mix it with diced mint or sliced cucumber for a raita.
You add it to a can of crushed tomatoes and some spices for a curry.
You add it to pasta with some mushrooms and bacon for a quick dinner.
You can make a dessert out of it with honey.
You can blend it with fruit, water and spices to make lassi to drink.
...and many more.

It's a versatile ingredient.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: November 08, 2016, 06:20:38 am »

I stand corrected.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3669 on: November 08, 2016, 06:22:40 am »

Yogurt is pretty awesome. It's one of the few dairy products we lactose-intolerant people can eat without dire consequences. I go through a half-liter container every three days or so, just having some of it with breakfast every day.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: November 08, 2016, 08:12:09 am »

Speaking of yogurt, I discovered skyr a few weeks ago. It's even thicker and creamier than Greek yogurt and probably worse for the environment as well.

The Aussie stuff is pretty good too, as long as you stay away from pineapple jalapeno.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:13:55 am by Mephisto »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3671 on: November 12, 2016, 02:32:31 am »

I've been enjoying oatmeal with a dash of ginger and nutmeg for breakfast the last couple of days. It's really simple, but pretty decent as far nutritional quality goes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: November 13, 2016, 08:25:04 am »

Just dropped an stirred an egg into a batch of packaged mie goreng noodles/ramen for the first time, after hearing so many people going about about how well egg goes with it. Seems alright so far, although I've only had one bite. I'll get back to you on this.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:18 am »

Yogurt is pretty awesome. It's one of the few dairy products we lactose-intolerant people can eat without dire consequences. I go through a half-liter container every three days or so, just having some of it with breakfast every day.

Some Yogurt.

A lot of Yogurt is "Fake" so to speak (It falls under the legal: "Well it is technically yogurt in that it is a sour tasting dairy product with bacteria" territory) and contains lots of dairy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3674 on: November 13, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »

Some Yogurt.

A lot of Yogurt is "Fake" so to speak (It falls under the legal: "Well it is technically yogurt in that it is a sour tasting dairy product with bacteria" territory) and contains lots of dairy.

It doesn't matter how much dairy is in it as long as it has active bacteria. The bacteria digests the lactose so that our bodies don't have to. If by "fake" yogurt, you mean yogurt without live bacteria, then yeah, there is some of that out there. But anything with active bacteria in it is fine for lactose intolerant folks.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 334