Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556519 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3615 on: September 28, 2016, 03:34:14 pm »

they're just bug-shaped bacon.

Mmmm so appetizing :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3616 on: October 06, 2016, 03:36:42 am »

Failure! I have created a total cooking failure for the first time in ages. Worse, I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong. Some combination of what I cooked last night for dinner turned it into a ball of rubber. Please, genius cookerdwarfs, tell me what I must change for next time.

It was very simple. I'm recovering from food poisoning so I looked for the gentlest stuff I could find without forcing myself to ever eat another banana again for the rest of my life. I sauteed some onion, carrot, and fresh ginger in a very small amount of olive oil. Then I added a cup of red lentils and 1.5 cups of water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Then I added a cup of jasmine rice, another 1.5 cups of water, and about a half a teaspoon of turmeric. It quickly turned into a sticky mess. The water floated on top and the rest was just a sticky goop with hard pieces of rice in it. What the hell happened? Is it the turmeric? The combination of red lentils and rice? I know it's fine to do this with green lentils, but red are gentler on my stomach. I managed to get the rice mostly cooked by constantly stirring it and adding a little more water, but holy cow was that not at all what I had intended.

The final product tasted okay, but as it dried, it quickly turned to something like rubber and became increasingly difficult to eat. Worse, when I tried to scrape the last out of the pan, I discovered a layer of it had stuck to the bottom and burned. So, uh... Yeah. That was fun to clean, as well.

Help!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 06, 2016, 07:54:08 am »

Some sort of curry thing. It was only supposed to be mildly spicy. MILDLY~! I'm not very good with spicy things but I thought this would be okay with yogurt, but it isn't. ALL I CAN TASTE IS PAIN.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: October 06, 2016, 09:16:23 am »

Some sort of curry thing. It was only supposed to be mildly spicy. MILDLY~! I'm not very good with spicy things but I thought this would be okay with yogurt, but it isn't. ALL I CAN TASTE IS PAIN.
Curry, like coffee, is supposed to make one feel like one is being purged of all sin, whether original or derivative. Nobody promised that this would be a pleasant experience.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 06, 2016, 11:53:59 am »

Failure! I have created a total cooking failure for the first time in ages. Worse, I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong. Some combination of what I cooked last night for dinner turned it into a ball of rubber. Please, genius cookerdwarfs, tell me what I must change for next time.

It was very simple. I'm recovering from food poisoning so I looked for the gentlest stuff I could find without forcing myself to ever eat another banana again for the rest of my life. I sauteed some onion, carrot, and fresh ginger in a very small amount of olive oil. Then I added a cup of red lentils and 1.5 cups of water and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Then I added a cup of jasmine rice, another 1.5 cups of water, and about a half a teaspoon of turmeric. It quickly turned into a sticky mess. The water floated on top and the rest was just a sticky goop with hard pieces of rice in it. What the hell happened? Is it the turmeric? The combination of red lentils and rice? I know it's fine to do this with green lentils, but red are gentler on my stomach. I managed to get the rice mostly cooked by constantly stirring it and adding a little more water, but holy cow was that not at all what I had intended.

The final product tasted okay, but as it dried, it quickly turned to something like rubber and became increasingly difficult to eat. Worse, when I tried to scrape the last out of the pan, I discovered a layer of it had stuck to the bottom and burned. So, uh... Yeah. That was fun to clean, as well.

Help!

Should've cooked the rice before adding them to the stuff I'm guessing. Jasmine rice is famous for turning into a sticky mess if you overcook it, and adding it to the lentils probably didn't have enough water for the rice to cook evenly, so the outside turned to rice mush while the inside was still underdone. Red lentils also give your pot a nice welded-on coating unless you continuously stir them, and even then...

To be fair I've done it before kinda exactly the same. I don't like adding rice to pots of stuff for this reason, just cook and combine it on the plate.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 06, 2016, 01:52:53 pm »

You shouldnt have cooked rice and lentils together. You should have cooked lentils separately because they take longer to cook. Rice gets very sticky and lumpy when you overcook it. Also, jasmine rice is very glutinous, making the problem worse.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: October 06, 2016, 01:58:27 pm »

I've determined that whole hard-boiled eggs thrown into stuff is one of my favorite things ever.

Doro Alicha from the local Ethiopian place, eggs marinated in mirin/soy sauce and then thrown into home-made ramen, even just some unseasoned eggs thrown into a cheap packaged Indian veggie meal from the grocery store.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3622 on: October 06, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »

You shouldnt have cooked rice and lentils together. You should have cooked lentils separately because they take longer to cook. Rice gets very sticky and lumpy when you overcook it. Also, jasmine rice is very glutinous, making the problem worse.

I cooked the lentils for 15 minutes before adding the rice (and its water). I do this with green lentils all the time and it works perfectly, but with the red, it was a big mess! :o

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 06, 2016, 04:47:19 pm »

Still a good idea to cook jasmine rice separately, I'd say. Too sticky and gains too much volume to mix well in-pan in my experience.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: October 06, 2016, 05:44:39 pm »

I've determined that whole hard-boiled eggs thrown into stuff is one of my favorite things ever.

Doro Alicha from the local Ethiopian place, eggs marinated in mirin/soy sauce and then thrown into home-made ramen, even just some unseasoned eggs thrown into a cheap packaged Indian veggie meal from the grocery store.

Shoyu Tamago :D

Yeah, eggs are a great additive to just about anything. I don't cook a lot of meat, so they're one of my major sources of protein too. I like them hardboiled and sliced into noodles or soups. I'll blend raw eggs into a simmering white sauce or alfredo too, and make them into a sort of pseudo Normande or Velouté for pasta; it's a hearty dinner you can make even when you only have flour, dairy, eggs, pasta, and some seasonings in the house.

My latest culinary experiment was a Vaguely Southwestern BLT Omelette and/or BLT Huevos Rancheros this afternoon, which was better than it may sound. Cooked bacon slow so it was golden brown and crispy. In the leftover grease, I sauteed some sliced Jalapenos from the garden to mellow them out; I didn't stress the plants much so the chilis never got that spicy, and the flavor when they're cooked is kinda like a smokey bell pepper. After that, I fried them into some eggs, added some leftover red rice, topped them with tomato and crumbled bacon, and a little bit of mayo. I liked it enough that I think I'm going to try it again. :D

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:42 am »

COCONUT DREAMS ARE BEST COOKIE
THANK YOU KEEBLER
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: October 10, 2016, 11:31:18 am »

Found a San Pedro.
Finely sliced 3ish foot put in a pot with equal parts water and the juice of a few lemons, brought it to the boil then simmered for 10 hours before straining it, I then reduced the final liquid product to a cup.
Then I drunk the potion.
And like any good potion I gagged like Link and coughed out a coloured cloud... then vomited
Just like that my magic bar was full! then i went for a walk to talk to the Koroks
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: October 10, 2016, 11:36:13 am »

.....I'm pretty sure discussing how-to's on hallucinogenics is skirting the edge of the forum rules.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: October 10, 2016, 11:53:03 am »

.....I'm pretty sure discussing how-to's on hallucinogenics is skirting the edge of the forum rules.  ???
Wait... I took a hallucinogen?
Oh shit that explains alot
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:50 am »

Cooked roast lamb last night. It was absurdly simple to make.

- 2.8kg leg of lamb roast
- Couple of sprigs of home grown Rosemary
- Two small home grown lemons
- Salt
- Pepper
- Was gonna put garlic cloves in little slits into the meat, but i scrapped that idea as we had no garlic left.
- Olive oil drizzled lightly over the top of the meat

It really is super simple to make, just cleaned and put some rosemary leaves dotted around the roast, cut up some lemons and placed them near the roast, ground some pepper and sprinkled it on the skin, salt on the skin as well, and olive oil to add a bit of flavour to the top, then oven for three hours. Done diddly doneski. Next time, I probably won't use lemons, but otherwise it was nice.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 334