Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556490 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3570 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:41 am »

Krokodil.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: September 01, 2016, 06:56:15 pm »

Not exactly a stimulant.

Could try the cheaper kinds of meth, of course, but it would probably taste like shit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3572 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:08 am »

Any food-minded people around at the moment? I just went shopping and got some stuff to make some Mexican fried rice, including some chicken to throw in there for an easy, healthy dinner. Unfortunately, I didn't think to buy a lime. I'd like to marinate the chicken for a while before cooking, but any Mexican marinade recipes I can find require lime. Can anyone recommend anything simpler, just to get some basic flavor in the chicken? I don't think I've ever marinated chicken before, so I'm a total noob at this. The rice will have kidney beans, corn, tomato, green beans, onion, garlic, and jalepeno in it. I'm planning on seasoning it with just cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, a little oregano, and salt and pepper. I have some frozen lemon juice but no other citrus. And I'd really prefer not to have to go back out just to buy a single lime (plus they're pretty expensive here). Maybe just marinate it in the spices - cumin, oregano, and pepper? What should I mix it in - olive oil? I'm genuinely clueless here :o

Thanks!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: September 06, 2016, 12:39:29 pm »

Do you have soy sauce? Olive oil, soy sauce, and spices make a nice basic marinade.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: September 07, 2016, 06:43:18 pm »

Send help. I realized that the brand of eggs I buy only costs a dollar more for 18 than it does for 6. I've already got a rotation of fried, over medium, omelette (until I run out of random stuff I can shred for filler), and scrambled, but that's going to get dull quick. Anything I can do with eggs beyond cook->season->eat? I don't want to stop buying them altogether because they're cheap and nutritious, and I don't want to spend twice as much per egg buying the little half-cartons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: September 07, 2016, 06:44:03 pm »

French toast, quiche, baking in general?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: September 07, 2016, 07:33:16 pm »

Also consider frittatas?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: September 07, 2016, 08:19:25 pm »

But that's just an omelette that someone forgot to fold.  :P

French toast, quiche, baking in general?
No bread or crusts, but yeah, I could do quiche, thanks. Don't really have the time, energy, or knowledge to bake properly though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: September 07, 2016, 08:21:51 pm »

How about pancakes or waffles?

Could also use eggs for frying things.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 07, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

Egg drop soup is tasty, easy, and uses a lot of eggs.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: September 08, 2016, 01:21:30 am »

Lemon curd!

• 200 g unsalted butter, cubed
  • 4 large lemons
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 10 egg yolks

Zest and juice lemons. In a heavy bottom saucepan, add the egg yolks, zest, juice and sugar, and stir over a gentle heat. Slowly add the cubes of butter a few at a time, waiting til the current batch of cubes melts before adding the next batch. Keep cooking until all butter is melted, and then go for about another five minutes. You should feel it start to thicken ever so slightly; when that happens, pour it through a sieve into sterilised jars.

Keeps for up to a couple of months in the fridge (EDIT: If sealed into sterilised jars; once opened, lasts a couple of weeks, but I usually smash it before then). Goes great on toast, with scones, in biscuits/cookies (like a simple sugar cookie), or on the meringue that you'll need to make to use up all that egg white. You can also sub one lemon for 2 limes for a more varied flavour.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:09:00 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3581 on: September 08, 2016, 02:51:47 am »

Just keep in mind, though, that eating too many eggs will raise your cholesterol. You can definitely have one a day without problems, but if you're eating more than that, you might want to check with your doctor that it's not going to cause you health problems down the road.

Also, eggs stay good for a reasonably long time. You don't need to rush to use them all really quickly. They're definitely good for a few weeks or so if you keep them in the fridge.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: September 08, 2016, 03:06:47 am »

Depending on country, they can keep for months in the fridge. I've never had an egg go off on me, despite having them in the bottom of my fridge for up to 2 months. That said, in Aus, they don't wash the eggs, which keeps the natural defenses of the egg intact; places like the US, which do wash eggs, will see a greatly reduced shelf life.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: September 08, 2016, 02:14:24 pm »

Send help. I realized that the brand of eggs I buy only costs a dollar more for 18 than it does for 6. I've already got a rotation of fried, over medium, omelette (until I run out of random stuff I can shred for filler), and scrambled, but that's going to get dull quick. Anything I can do with eggs beyond cook->season->eat? I don't want to stop buying them altogether because they're cheap and nutritious, and I don't want to spend twice as much per egg buying the little half-cartons.

Whip eggs, ham or lunchmeat, veggies and some pepper & salt together.

Bake it in a muffin tin.

It's basically quick and dirty fritatas.  They freeze really well too, so long as they are wrapped well. 2 fritatas + toast = quick, nutritious meal.

The great thing about baking is that you can usually stir a batch together quickly, put it in the oven and clean up or do other chores while it bakes. I find it's really efficient to spend some time making a batch of something I can freeze or refrigerate once or twice a week and not worry about cooking at other times. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:17:31 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 08, 2016, 02:18:21 pm »

Depending on country, they can keep for months in the fridge. I've never had an egg go off on me, despite having them in the bottom of my fridge for up to 2 months. That said, in Aus, they don't wash the eggs, which keeps the natural defenses of the egg intact; places like the US, which do wash eggs, will see a greatly reduced shelf life.

We've had eggs last ~2 months in the US, but they were bad by the end of the 2nd month.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 334