Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552911 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3390 on: March 30, 2016, 12:49:14 am »

I just gotta say, as a resident of india, the use of the word curry by the rest of the world really confuses me.

Because around here, curry is a sauce made from yogurt and chickpea flour, and that's about it.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:41 am »

I just gotta say, as a resident of india, the use of the word curry by the rest of the world really confuses me.

Because around here, curry is a sauce made from yogurt and chickpea flour, and that's about it.

I cant speak for other countries but America, with its lack of food culture, tend to steal whatever foods it can and smash em' together until something tasty/"healthy"/lucrative pops out.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: March 30, 2016, 03:07:56 am »

Curry as we're referring to is more of a British construct.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: March 30, 2016, 03:16:05 am »

Here curry is a spice, a melande of spice, a couple of sauces made with that spice and a dish made by cooking things in such a sauce.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: March 30, 2016, 04:13:04 am »

Curry is a kind of spice mix or a kind of food cooked in a specific way, depending on location. Honestly, something I didn't think as curry is counted as a kind of curry according to the internet.

Think of curry as a class of dish rather than a specific dish.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3395 on: March 30, 2016, 06:31:32 am »

In general, using your own base instead of one of the grocery store mixes, and getting the recipe from a website intended to instruct people of that culture, is the way to go.

Oh, I do make my own bases most of the time. This was a spur of the moment thing mainly inspired by the fact that it was called mother-in-law masala. :P It's  also convenient because it contains some spices I don't think I've ever actually seen in a supermarket, and I haven't had ruined to swing past an actual spice shop recently.

I might try the coconut cream. I've never seen it for sale anywhere, but I might be able to find it. Hopefully not too expensive.

I have no idea on the curry thing. All the Indians here use it in the non-Indian way...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: March 30, 2016, 07:21:30 am »

Speaking of curry, this is one of the greats; Rendang. Takes bloody hours to make, but so, so good.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: March 30, 2016, 07:27:54 am »

Speaking of curry, this is one of the greats; Rendang. Takes bloody hours to make, but so, so good.

You truly are a culinary man of taste. Rendang is probably my absolute no. 1 most favourite food, closely followed by laksa.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:05 pm »

Protip for stovetop rice: Rice generally absorbs twice its volume in water, so fill a pot with water and then add rice gently until the pile reaches the surface. The cone occupies 1/3 of the volume of the cylinder, so no measurements required. Add a little extra rice to account for packing efficiency and there you go.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3399 on: April 01, 2016, 01:07:05 pm »

Or you could dump in a cup of rice to a cup and a half of water and it'll cook perfectly every time. ;) Unless you get an extra kick out of using geometry, in which case have fun! :D

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: April 01, 2016, 01:19:19 pm »

a kick out of not owning measuring cups is what i get :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3401 on: April 01, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »

a kick out of not owning measuring cups is what i get :P

I think I might own measuring cups, but I just use a mug. I know the quantities almost exactly from experience by now.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: April 02, 2016, 07:20:26 am »

O just stick my finger into the middle of the rice to get the depth, and add the same depth of water on top.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:55 am »

O just stick my finger into the middle of the rice to get the depth, and add the same depth of water on top.
^ Someone else! :D (I thought this was a common practice? But I have very little experience in cooking other than learning what my parents did). Though there is a difference in absorption depending on the type of rice, that's a nice general rule.

Also rice does fluff up, so what can be a cup or so will be more than a cup of serving.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: April 05, 2016, 02:47:24 am »

^ Someone else! :D (I thought this was a common practice? But I have very little experience in cooking other than learning what my parents did).
It's probably common in Asian countries lol (I do exactly the same thing for rice)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 334