Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552931 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3360 on: March 20, 2016, 08:30:00 pm »

Those properties are because it has negative moisture relative to living things. A paper towel will soak up liquid from honey, I don't see why a relatively dry piece of bread wouldn't.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:15 am »

So i have been thinking about a dessert recipe. So its basicly a sweet mac' 'n' cheese.
So something like a sweet cocoa pasta, white chocolate sauce and perhaps a creme brulle kinda toping to it.
I just havnt a clue on where to start with the pasta let alone make it macaroni. I could make it spagetti though.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 21, 2016, 01:33:07 am »

Those properties are because it has negative moisture relative to living things. A paper towel will soak up liquid from honey, I don't see why a relatively dry piece of bread wouldn't.

A quick google (not exhaustive search) suggests that honey contains less moisture than bread. Bread has about twice as much water % per weight as honey according to the first few links I found. Think bread vs toast. It's just deceptive because the sugars in honey form into a paste, which we perceive as a liquid, whereas the spongy form of bread makes us think it's a solid. Liquid =/= water, and solid =/= dry.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:43:55 am by Reelya »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: March 23, 2016, 05:27:21 am »

Honey also has the thing of sugar being suuuuuuper fucking hygroscopic; i.e. it will pull moisture out of its surroundings and bind to it really, really effectively. I'd expect the weird bread texture is just a thin layer of surface bread that the honey has soaked into and subsequently dried out, like making croutons in the oven. Also note that dry and stale are not the same thing in terms of bread
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 23, 2016, 06:28:59 am »

Also note that dry and stale are not the same thing in terms of bread
Opposite, in fact. Bread goes stale by taking up moisture, which messes with the structure of the starches. It doesn't feel more moist, because chemical magic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:08 am »

Also note that dry and stale are not the same thing in terms of bread
Opposite, in fact. Bread goes stale by taking up moisture, which messes with the structure of the starches. It doesn't feel more moist, because chemical magic.

Not quite; staling is a common term for starch retrogradation, which is where the starch granules that had absorbed water and broken up during cooking lose that water again and shirnk down, reforming (though not even remotely close to perfectly so). It does mean that staled bread that's been kept in a sealed environment tends to get wet; the condensation on the inside of a breadbag kept in the fridge or freezer isn't all just atmospheric moisture!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3366 on: March 25, 2016, 02:28:02 am »

I just cleaned out my pantry and found a big airtight container of soy drink powder. (It's not a protein drink or anything, just regular soy drink powder.) Unflavored and it tastes like balls. I bought it ages ago looking for something lactose-free to put in tea and coffee and hated the taste so much I put it away and never touched it again.

Does anyone know of anything useful I can do with this, other than just tossing it out? It's certainly nutritious, I just don't know what I can do with it that it won't ruin the taste of. I don't like soy milk even fresh, and the powder is just horrible. I hate waste, but if I can't find a good use for it I'll get rid of it and use the container for something more useful.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: March 25, 2016, 04:42:02 am »

I find that soymilk works fairly well in pancakes, you could give it a try.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3368 on: March 26, 2016, 02:18:28 am »

I'll keep that in mind. I don't make pancakes often, but I suppose I could. On the other hand, I should point out that this stuff tastes as much like soy milk as powdered milk tastes like real milk. It's really, really nasty. It's got this harsh flavor that seems to take over whatever I put it in. I learned the hard way not to ever put it in coffee or tea. I mean, I don't like the taste of regular soy milk, and this powder is just orders of magnitude worse. I put it in mashed potatoes once, hoping to make them creamier, and ruined the meal.

I may just have to toss it out. But there's a chance it might work okay in something sweet, if there's enough other flavors to drown it out... I suppose I should try that before dumping it in the trash.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 26, 2016, 05:53:25 am »

idk, the stuff could probably be used to thicken curry sauce or the like as well. Any strong-flavored sauce that you can mix a little of the powder with.

Another idea would be to use some of it in baked goods. In a finished dry form it might be easier to just chow it down.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:57:12 am by Reelya »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 26, 2016, 08:59:08 am »

Vegan mayo? Huh.

In other news, I just bought some buckwheat and barley flours yesterday. It's experimenting time :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 26, 2016, 09:12:51 am »

I'm a big fan of buckwheat! I always make brownies using it, and occasionally I've made buckwheat waffles or pancakes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:35 pm »

Do you guys eat buckwheat porridge, though? It's such a massive staple over here, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard anybody outside the former USSR mention it, and I was always curious about that.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 26, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:46:59 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: March 26, 2016, 02:20:29 pm »

Funny, I almost responded to this by saying that we don't really eat buckwheat or porridge in America. But Vector's response made me realize we do eat porridges, we just really don't like to call them that. We've got oatmeal porridge that we just call "oatmeal" (dry oatmeal is just called oats), and grits are kind of a corn porridge. Cream of Wheat is a less common one.

None of them are particularly popular, at least among people I know, and they're generally perceived as old person food. This is the least true with grits, but they're largely a regional thing in the South, so everyone else brings down the grit average a lot. A shame, too.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 334