Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552986 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3300 on: March 02, 2016, 09:05:34 am »

Are there any other non-stick surfaces in use though? Especially considering that the oven is old, it seems unlikely this would be the case.

What sort of cleaner did you use? Does it have a list of ingredients?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: March 02, 2016, 09:52:23 am »

Doesn't have to be a proper non-stick coating, maybe just some protective layer.

Anyway, I am currently reading up on fluorous chemistry (my current research project is to incorporate fluorinated amino acides in proteins-, and that stuff is weird . I'm not even sure what fluorous bonds are.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: March 02, 2016, 01:53:42 pm »

Any chance of getting smaller trays, like baking sheets or something, and just putting those in atop the gooptrays?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3303 on: March 02, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »

So far, heat only seems to make it sticker. I do not have a place to build a fire, so I think that option is out.

According to the information I can find on the cleaner company web site's list of chemical hazard warnings, Savo Razant contains sodium hydroxide and something listed as "N,N- dimethyltetradecylamin- (N-oxid)" and I have no idea what that is.

For now I'll try parchment paper and see if that works well enough. Fingers crossed it does. I can't imagine where I could buy a smaller tray that would fit on these - they're really not very big. Only smaller ones I've seen are the ones that come with toaster ovens, and I've never seen one of those sold separately.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: March 02, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »

Good luck with the parchment paper. Sizing is important, and keeping it from the heating element, but it will hopefully do what you need. Though it might get stuck itself, that's probably an easier problem to deal with.

Also, I think I might start buying lettuce regularly. A head of romaine lasts about a week of 3 to 4 leaves in a meal, adds low-calorie bulk (which I need >__________>), and when cooked provides a delightful bitterness. Without being able to have spinach regularly (damn you, kidney stones!), this'll be a nice substitute, although without as much nutrition.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: March 02, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »

So far, heat only seems to make it sticker. I do not have a place to build a fire, so I think that option is out.

According to the information I can find on the cleaner company web site's list of chemical hazard warnings, Savo Razant contains sodium hydroxide and something listed as "N,N- dimethyltetradecylamin- (N-oxid)" and I have no idea what that is.

For now I'll try parchment paper and see if that works well enough. Fingers crossed it does. I can't imagine where I could buy a smaller tray that would fit on these - they're really not very big. Only smaller ones I've seen are the ones that come with toaster ovens, and I've never seen one of those sold separately.
I just found the list myself. The latter is a detergent and surfactant, mirystamine oxide. It is not great on the skin, but it's not going to be terribad. I mean, for reference, it's used in some hair products and cosmetics as a foam stabilizer.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3306 on: March 03, 2016, 01:22:44 am »

Yeah, I think the sodium hydroxide (lye) is the thing doing the damage. It's not so strong that it burns your skin horribly on contact, but I did try using it without gloves once and my skin felt weird for two days afterwards.

Also, a head of romaine lettuce lasts you a whole week? How big are they where you live? One of those only lasts me a few days at most if I use it every day... :o

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: March 03, 2016, 02:05:54 pm »

Yeah, I think the sodium hydroxide (lye) is the thing doing the damage. It's not so strong that it burns your skin horribly on contact, but I did try using it without gloves once and my skin felt weird for two days afterwards.

Also, a head of romaine lettuce lasts you a whole week? How big are they where you live? One of those only lasts me a few days at most if I use it every day... :o
If it was actually dangerous in quantity, you would have known it by now - having your esophagus melt from within tends to be hard to miss. What's probably happening is either lye traces turning some of the fats in your food into the traditionally delicious treat of soap, or the detergent has an off taste, but either way, no big deal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3308 on: March 03, 2016, 02:18:43 pm »

Oh, I'm not worried about the cleaner doing damage to me. I meant that the lye seems to be the corrosive part of the cleaner, which leads me to guess that's what messed up the coating on my oven trays. Damaging the oven stuff, not my body. :) I haven't actually ingested any of the cleaner. I did get some on my hands and my skin felt really weird for several days, so I know it's pretty harsh stuff.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: March 05, 2016, 11:15:17 am »

Well, I suppose it's in the neighborhood of 20-25 leaves. I admit I'm not in the habit of counting weekends >_______>

Probably helps that I'm using it for cooking instead of something like salad. The latter would probably use more each time. Also, only 1 use/day, because I tend to cook nearly a full day's food at one go.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: March 05, 2016, 01:52:30 pm »

O made carrot halwa today.

Very simple recipe, only ingredients are grated carrots, milk, and sugar.

It just takes like an hour and a half of stirring over a low flame to make.

Totally worth it, though.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: March 05, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »

The halwa thing confuzzles me, because in my country halwa is a sweet crumbly mass made of nut butter and... something else. No idea what, actually, I just know nuts are involved and carrot is way out. That's probably a Central Asian thing, since I noticed that your definition of pilaf is also a bit different from ours.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: March 05, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »

I just gorged myself on dahl, rice and chickpea+potato curry. It was good.
Not as spicy as I would have liked, but it was still freakin' delicious.  Grabbed some takeaway potato cakes and naan while I was there as well.

Lately Indian curry seems to have become my hangover food of choice.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: March 05, 2016, 10:43:39 pm »

Actually, our usual definition of halwa is made from cooking semolina in sugar water.

Carrot halwa is an exception.

Edit: also, curry here is a sauce made from chickpea flour and yogurt.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:45:19 pm by Japa »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3314 on: March 06, 2016, 08:18:49 am »

Coleslaw mixed with shredded chicken and ham is surprisingly good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 334