Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553018 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3255 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:35 pm »

Made some onigiris again. Put tuna in them this time. I think it's the easiest batch I've made so far. Managed to shave a few hours off the time it takes the rice to cool off enough to handle by simply dumping the pot into a bowl. Why I never thought of that before, I have no idea.

They tasted alright, as well. The flavor of tuna and mayonnaise actually does mix well with the nori.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: February 02, 2016, 10:35:44 am »

Stuffed Yorkshire puddings turn out to be a decent low(er) carb donut substitute. :D
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: February 02, 2016, 10:52:53 am »

You could even stuff it with half a donut and that would still be true  :-X
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:39 am »

You could even stuff it with half a donut and that would still be true  :-X

But then my arteries would spontaneously and instantly clog. Also: wouldn't taste good.

I'm thinking about doing up a cheese/egg mix to stuff the puddings with, as a replacement for breakfast sandwiches.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:34 pm »

Soylent Brown

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Combine all non-Soylent ingredients in a saucepan and heat until the chocolate is melted and the consistency is uniform. You're basically making a sort of ganache, here. It should be thick, smooth, and shiny. Remove from heat and let cool somewhat. Add the Soylent, maybe about a cup at a time, stirring as you go. Once you have a very thick, dough-like sort of thing going, pour it into a greased pan (something like a 9 inch diameter or 8x8 inch square). Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

First attempt at Soylent brownies, from a cannibalized no-bake brownie recipe, but it's not bad. More of a fudge, really. Further work will be necessary, but my ideal brownie is closer to that than anything else, so I'm at a good starting point.

i need to use my leftover supply before it expires in a coupla months
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: February 05, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »

Threw together some rice, leftover meatloaf, cheese sauce, and diced green chilis. Put it in some flour tortillas to create what might be called a wrap if I were not very terrible at the physical act of wrapping.

I ended up with a lot. I ate three(and I think that was a bad idea), saved two for lunch, my mom ate one, and put the other four in the fridge.

First attempt at Soylent brownies, from a cannibalized no-bake brownie recipe,

Oh dear :o.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: February 05, 2016, 09:19:44 pm »

Made my favorite penny-pinching meal tonight. Couple cups of dried black beans boil->simmered for a few hours spiced with chili powder, garlic, salt, and whatever random shit was in the rack. At the end I dumped in a bunch of Srirachi sauce, cheap soy sauce, and allspice, as is usual, then shredded some cheddar and a scrambled egg into it. Big bowl of flavor (misc. variety, heh) for something less than a dollar.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3262 on: February 06, 2016, 03:20:16 am »

Yesterday, in a rush for work, I filled half a small tupperware container (shaped like sort of a tall cup and waterproof) with honey-nut flavored muesli and the rest with plain farmer's-style yogurt. Gave it a quick mix and threw it in my bag. A few hours later, at work, I took it out to eat it, and it had turned into a sort of cake consistency. The muesli had absorbed all of the yogurt and was all spongy and sweet. Delicious! I love happy little discoveries like this. :D

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: February 06, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »

Soylent

this does not belong in food thread :P.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:57 pm »

i mixed it with chocolate and other things that are clearly food, so nyeh
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: February 06, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »

Do any of you, like me, prefer your scrambled eggs dry rather than moist?
I've always much preferred them dry and fluffy, but apparently some people like them moist. That seems a bit gross to me personally.
Which is the more common way to have them?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: February 06, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »

Dry as in not runny? Or literally dry to the touch? Because I like my scrambled eggs solid, but I've never had an unburnt egg that wasn't a little moist. They're full of fat and water, after all.

I considered yelling at Bauglir for the soylent, but I suppose I can tolerate it if you're doing more than mixing a flavoring into it.

That said, using it as a base for a batter is actually pretty interesting. If you could cover up the flavor then you might end up with some decently healthy brownies or something. Bauglir, if you want it to be less fudgy then I would recommend cutting back on the chocolate and replacing it with cocoa powder, an egg or two, and maybe a little flour.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:45:40 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: February 06, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »

Aye, the trick is to maintain the no-bake part. The risk with cooking with Soylent is that heat will affect some of the nutrients - I know some vitamins don't do well at high heat, and I don't want to speculate much on the bioavailability of all of the minerals. Odds are, it'd all be fine and certainly more healthy than regular flour, but I've set my constraints and want to operate within them.

I'm thinking cutting back on the chocolate is a good idea, and I'll probably add back in some of the crumbs - starting at 1:2 crumbs to Soylent.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:34 am »

Ok, Starkist tuna has either too much or not enough dolphin.
I don't know which.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: February 08, 2016, 02:52:04 pm »

Baked eggrolls were a complete success.  My housemate has finally been converted to bean soup with the latest batch - great, because we have another 4 lbs of dried beans soaking on the counters and we need to do something with them.
To summarize:
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 334