Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550863 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3135 on: October 15, 2015, 07:03:52 pm »

So what I ended up doing is almost burning the lentils because I forgot that they soak up water while cooking, luckily I noticed it on time by sheer luck. Then I tossed a couple of halved cherry tomatoes and some bacon on a pan until the tomatoes were nice and soft while the bacon was nice and bacony. Then I strained the lentils and tossed them onto this (and the pan was comically small so it was kinda hard to not get it everywhere), mixed up a bit, threw in a small cube of butter and after it melted nicely moved it over onto a plate. Was pretty damn tasty with nice contrasts of sour/salty with the more neutral lentils, think it would've went great with some yogurth or something.
Here's a pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:45 pm »

The balls came out nice. The chocolate... not so much. It refused to melt, even after a few minutes in a microwave oven. Not sure if that's because the microwave oven sucks or because I used a glass container(my mother vetoed the use of a plastic bowl). Eventually got it somewhat melted in a saucepan(my mother neglected to mention our double-boiler until it was almost done). It still wouldn't dip right, so they look nothing like buckeyes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: October 15, 2015, 07:27:04 pm »

Did you salt the lentils before or after cooking? I don't know if it applies to all sorts, but certain lentils won't soften properly if they're cooked in salty water. If you did salt them too early, chances are you can make that dish even more tasty with this one weird trick.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: October 15, 2015, 08:53:52 pm »

These were green lentils, no idea what the procedure is with them, but I salted them towards the end of the cooking process, mostly because I forgot to do so beforehand X)

And yeah, they were nice and soft for the most part so I think I might've done that completely on accident XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:59 pm »

The balls came out nice. The chocolate... not so much. It refused to melt, even after a few minutes in a microwave oven. Not sure if that's because the microwave oven sucks or because I used a glass container(my mother vetoed the use of a plastic bowl). Eventually got it somewhat melted in a saucepan(my mother neglected to mention our double-boiler until it was almost done). It still wouldn't dip right, so they look nothing like buckeyes.

Yeah, chocolate is a bit of a bastard; you can't just melt and dip, you have to temper the chocolate first. Otherwise it comes out a matt brown colour, with a bit of a weird mouthfeel.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: October 16, 2015, 07:22:47 pm »

Though I lack the equipment to try it out, somebody should try making a snail pie.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 16, 2015, 07:53:51 pm »

My ex-itscomplicated mentioned several times that she's fairly good at preparing snails. It's a shame I'm a vegetarian :D

Why put cheese on your tomato sauce when you can put it in from the beginning? Ingredients:

- Some slightly moldy Appenzeller (I think) with the moldy bits cut off
- A can of tomatoes
- A (small) can of tomato paste
- Two onions
- Some olive oil
- Some chili
- One or  two stalks of tarragon
- A couple stalks of oregano
- Salt
- Pepper
- A swig of vinegar
- Some capers, with the juice they came in

Fry the onions in the olive oil until they're slightly brown, then add the chili and cheese. Quickly add tomatoes and tomato paste, and smush up the tomatoes to get a homogenous sauce. Bring to a boil and throw in the rest of the spices along with the vinegar and capers.

The real trick are the vinegar and the capers - especially without the latter the whole thing tastes very meh, but these two ingredients really give it a full round taste.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: October 17, 2015, 04:09:12 pm »

That sounds good. By chili do you mean chili powder?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 17, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »

I mean this weird Turkish stuff we get around here which mostly consists of chili... flakes, I guess, plus a little oil and salt. You could probably substitute dried chilis, or leave it out altogether.
The Bay12 postcard club

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:06 am »

A good replacement for an actual double boiler is to just place a glass (oven safe) bowl on top of a small saucepan of boiling water, it's what I always use, has never led me astray.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:14 pm »

A good replacement for an actual double boiler is to just place a glass (oven safe) bowl on top of a small saucepan of boiling water, it's what I always use, has never led me astray.

Also, stainless steel oven safe bowl. I avoid glass due to clumsiness.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 21, 2015, 03:38:56 am »

Ok so I am wondering here

I've liked Soy sauce since as long as I remembered, I liked to go somewhat light on it because I felt it was usually too strong for the taste I was trying to go with it.

THEN, however, came Kikoman soy sauce which has become so popular I've never saw any other types except for it... and... I don't like it. If only because no matter how little I use it always tastes too strong. It never wants to blend into food it basically fights for center stage even if I use but a drop.

Is there a milder form of soy sauce then Kikoman? or is it possible I liked a different type before?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:41:01 am by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: October 21, 2015, 06:51:37 am »

Yeah, there are a few different styles. The kind I like is stronger than kikoman though, so I wouldn't know what to recommend you.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 21, 2015, 07:10:56 am »

Really? I always thought Kikoman is too light.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3149 on: October 21, 2015, 09:44:05 am »

I haven't seen Kikoman here so I don't know anything about that, but one thing I can recommend is getting the low-sodium / gluten-free soy sauce. I find the flavor to be milder (and I like having less of a salty taste). Green label, usually. Might be nicer for you regardless of brand.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 334