Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 554111 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2775 on: May 05, 2015, 08:16:49 am »

It's more like bread than like cake, to be honest. Imagine a not-too-sweet (making Stollen too sweet is pretty much on par with denying the Holocaust for getting Germans pissed), very dense bread which contains an extraordinary amount of butter, spices, raisins soaked in rum, and succade (plus something very much like succade, but made from oranges). You roll out the dough, put a sheet of marzipan on top, and roll the whole thing up into a, well, roll, which you then bake. After taking it out, brush liquid butter all over (the sides and bottom too, this is to prevent it from drying out in storage) while it is still hot, and then cover with powdered sugar. Keep in storage for four to six weeks to fully develop the flavor, and whip out at Christmas. You can skip the waiting bit, but then it won't taste quite as nice.

All in all I think grown-ups will enjoy it more than little kids, though you can of course make a sweeter less-spicy less-alcoholic version for the lil'uns.

E: Wiki article.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:19:05 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: May 05, 2015, 08:54:55 am »

I still have an excessive amount of coconut milk and peanut sauce. Does anyone have good uses for either of these things?
Make nasi lemak and some satay! (aka coconut rice and grilled meat skewers :P)
The peanut sauce should go well with the satay, and you just add the coconut milk to rice to make the nasi lemak.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: May 05, 2015, 09:11:49 am »

... succade (plus something very much like succade, but made from oranges)...
Sounds very tempting and I will surely try to make it, but... Eh, what are your regular succades are made of?

Edit: I always thought that oranges were the default succade material source.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:13:21 am by Bumblebee »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48:40 am »

Lemons. In German they're called Zitronat and Orangeat, respectively.

Bumble, I have a great recipe actually - do you want me to translate?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 05, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

It would be very nice of you. I love trying new exotic recipes (cakes espesially, yeah).
On the one hand, cooking this exact one not in winter will be wrong.
On the other, if we (you) postpone translation till that time, we'll both forget.
So will you?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 05, 2015, 01:44:05 pm »

Lemons. In German they're called Zitronat and Orangeat, respectively.

Bumble, I have a great recipe actually - do you want me to translate?
Wikipedia says it's actually most often citrons, not lemons, but all citruses work for the naming purposes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: May 05, 2015, 06:41:30 pm »

What? Carbonara is pretty fast and easy...

Okay, compared to the shit I usually cook.

What? Carbonara is pretty fast and easy...
And... chicken? In carbonara?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tasty, tasty heresy...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 06, 2015, 07:02:15 pm »

I still have an excessive amount of coconut milk and peanut sauce. Does anyone have good uses for either of these things?

Make nasi lemak and some satay! (aka coconut rice and grilled meat skewers :P)
The peanut sauce should go well with the satay, and you just add the coconut milk to rice to make the nasi lemak.

I made both of these things. Thank you for the great suggestions. This was a very good birthday meal!

I used this recipe for the chicken, except for the marinade I substituted a tablespoon of soy sauce for the salt and added about a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger. I let it marinate for a little over two hours before skewering about half the chicken. Since I don't have a grill I put the skewers on a foil-lined tray and broiled them until they browned a bit. The fat drippings started to burn by the end, so it probably would have been wise to change out the foil before that happened.

While this was going on I also made the rice and prepared the vegetables. I boiled one cup of jade rice in two cups of coconut milk. The internet tells me it's usually flavored with pandan leaves, which I do not have, so I threw in a couple pinches of fresh ginger. I should have used a little more. The vegetables are sliced nappa cabbage, chopped cilantro (I used too much of this), and some sugar peas. It turns out sugar peas are pretty good for dipping in peanut sauce.

Anyway, the chicken and rice were both tasty. Half of the chicken is still marinating in the fridge, so I'll make that tomorrow and hopefully it'll be even more flavorful. I will definitely make these again in the future. It would be cool to find some pandan leaves somewhere and try out coconut rice with them.

I didn't cook more than a frozen pizza yesterday, so today is 3 of 5 this week on my cooking self-challenge thing. I still have a decent amount of coconut milk and peanut sauce left, so I am listening if anyone else has cool things to do with those.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 06, 2015, 07:32:02 pm »

Coconut milk tastes good with coffee, I usually use half and half (coconut milk and creamer). Makes for some tasty morning drink

Not sure about peanut sauce though .-.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 07, 2015, 12:25:50 am »

I made both of these things. Thank you for the great suggestions. This was a very good birthday meal!
Glad you liked it :D

You could also try making curries with the excess coconut milk, it's kinda like cream in that respect. As for the peanut sauce, maybe use it in salads?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 07, 2015, 02:10:53 pm »

Random bagle (something with seeds is best), cocktail tomatoes (tho any will do, I'm doing these because they're cheap and are easy to glomp down quickly) and cottage cheesee.

Basically just eat each of these, letting the flavours mix in your mouth. They all contrast superbly both with flavours and textures.

I just love when random stuff like this turns out great.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »

Random bagle (something with seeds is best), cocktail tomatoes (tho any will do, I'm doing these because they're cheap and are easy to glomp down quickly) and cottage cheesee.

Basically just eat each of these, letting the flavours mix in your mouth. They all contrast superbly both with flavours and textures.

I just love when random stuff like this turns out great.

Oddly enough you just stumbled upon an actual recipe :P

I forgot EXACTLY how you make it but it is

Tomatoes and Cucumber with a small square of cheese (Mozzarella is what we use) with a specific dressing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »

I'm becoming a bigger fan of finger foods like that. Some nights my meals are just some a meat like hard salami or prosciutto, a good cheese, some olives, a veggie like carrots and some good bread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: May 07, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »

O.O Sounds... odd.

I'm becoming a bigger fan of finger foods like that. Some nights my meals are just some a meat like hard salami or prosciutto, a good cheese, some olives, a veggie like carrots and some good bread.

On the other hand sounds quite good, if you don't mind your breath smelling atrocious. I've found cheese and pickle sandwiches, with dijon mustard and on a heavy, multigrain bread are awesome.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 08, 2015, 06:25:17 am »

So I was wandering, if you guys drink non-instant coffee, how do you make it? Like, what spices, what method, that sort of thing.

I usually heat the water first, then add in some allspice and a pinch of nutmeg and black pepper, then mix in the sugar (because a sugar-water solution has a higher boiling temperature) then bring it to a boil again. After that I take the pot off the fire, mix in the coffee, allow it to brew for a few minutes (off the fire), then bring it to a boil a few more times (less bitter that way). I also add a tiny bit of milk or cream before drinking.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 334