Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553044 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2640 on: April 05, 2015, 12:30:18 pm »

Baking != cooking. Yes, measurement is critical when baking. I don't bake.

Well, except with bread. You can do just about anything to bread, and it'll be fine. But pastry? Man, fuck that shit is fiddly.
Yep. The only thing that I (roughly) measure when baking bread is the amount of water/milk, and pastry is not in my repertoire. I'm even sloppier in other matters of cookery: If I have to look at a recipe for more than five seconds to produce an edible result, it's too fukken fancy recipe.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:21 pm »

I always follow the recipe, as exactly as I can. I don't cook enough to know how to experiment with anything other than sandwiches  :-[
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 05, 2015, 01:30:35 pm »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:18:59 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 05, 2015, 03:30:46 pm »

Cooking is art. Baking is science.
This. And I do enough science at university, I don't need it in my kitchen as well.

Yep. And I guess I'm on of those people of rare occurence, who don't mind accurate measuring both while doing the job and the cooking, but have to WASH THE DAMN DISHES here and there, too. Cooking is easy, baking is simpe, science is pleasure, but that dishes... They. Are. Bad. The worst thing about this all is coming home after work and hearing that "Could-you-please-wash-them-dear" phrase after having washed a few dozens of flasks and Petri dishes already.

Here is a recipe of my favourite fritters to make it up for the complaints.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're so spongy if done right. Can absorb jam, honey, sour cream and whatever else nicely.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 05, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »

Cooking a beef stew tonight. My measurements are very improv, and I haven't cooked a stew before in my life (it doesn't generally get cold here), so I'm curious as to how it will go.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 05, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »

Cooking is art. Baking is science.
I'd say that cooking can be either an art or a science as you want it (while baking is just a science). As a science you look up a recipe, measure everything and are guaranteed a great meal every time regardless of how good you are at the Art side of things. As an Art cooking involves not measuring things as closely, and as a result your outputs can vary all of the way from "best thing ever eaten" to "horrible gunky mass of destruction" (though obviously as people get better at the Art side of things that distribution starts to shift).

I think the biggest problem people get into with dishes is they fail to wash them as they go. A simple blast of water right when you are done with the dish can usually clear up 95% of all dish washing problems to the point where you can just stick them in the dishwasher and call it a day.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 05, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »

Dishwasher.... yes, dishwasher is a good, useful thing. In my family I am the dishwasher.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

One of the essential components of good baking is knowing when to deviate from the recipe. Ferex, I've got a family recipe for pumpkin pie. We developed it by taking a recipe out of a good cookbook and then quadrupling the quantities of all the spices and substituting molasses for the sugar. If you bake it like the original recipe, it turns out like 95% of the pumpkin pie you'll ever eat: dry, sweet, and completely lacking in the 'zap' you should be getting from the spices.

That said, if you get your hands on a genuinely good recipe, deviate from it at your own risk.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 05, 2015, 04:56:37 pm »

Cooking a beef stew tonight. My measurements are very improv, and I haven't cooked a stew before in my life (it doesn't generally get cold here), so I'm curious as to how it will go.

Stews, like chilis and most things that are best made in huge pots, tend to be forgiving and delicious.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: April 05, 2015, 05:15:49 pm »

I think the biggest problem people get into with dishes is they fail to wash them as they go. A simple blast of water right when you are done with the dish can usually clear up 95% of all dish washing problems to the point where you can just stick them in the dishwasher and call it a day.
Oh yes, that's the most important second-rank virtue for cooking: Wash dishes as soon as they're no longer in use, wash dishes as soon as you've got a minute to spare, don't let the dishes pile up, but work contiuously at keeping the sink empty. As long as there's dirty dishes, you don't get to rest.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 05, 2015, 06:37:35 pm »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 06, 2015, 07:15:49 am »

I made Bacon/Balsamic Deviled eggs and Crockpot Spinach and Artichoke dip for easter. Both recipes turned out deliciously, my method for boiling eggs is still perfect, and I forgot to take pictures! Sorry guys, I'm sure I'll make both recipes again, and I'll document better. Really pleased with how it all worked out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:45 am »

The method I find works best for me is as follows:
1. Put eggs in bottom of empty pot
2. Pour water over eggs so they're fairly well submerged (the instructions I read said 1 to 2 inches, as if you could eyeball that easily). Add salt to the water.
3. put pot on heat turn to high.
4. once pot starts boiling, turn off heat and put the lid on. Leave it on the burner for 10-12 minutes.
5. If you want to use them right away, put in a strainer or something and run them under cold water until they're handleable.

I don't think it's humanly possible to over-cook them this way, and I've definitely never under cooked them (always peel 1 first, that way if it's under cooked you can just leave the rest on)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2653 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:27 am »

My family's traditional method is five minutes boiling for softish yolks, more for hard-boiled.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:46 am »

The method I find works best for me is as follows:
~egg snip~

This.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 334