Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553000 times)

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2580 on: March 23, 2015, 06:39:47 am »

Those hieroglyphs are Chinese, Bumblebee. But that's the extent of my knowledge on the matter.
No good. Tom yum is a Thai dish. Still, the probability that all the souse the Thais use for cooking was prodused in China is rather high...
Argh, stupid economics.

And, while I'm here... I'm having lunch right now. Do you wanna know what I'm eating? It's
Spoiler:  BOOBLICK (click to show/hide)
I should stop transliterating everything, but I just can't. Sorry.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: March 23, 2015, 10:07:50 am »

BOOBLICK

I should stop transliterating everything, but I just can't. Sorry.

Please don't. The transliterations are beautiful.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: March 23, 2015, 10:48:28 am »

Apparently you have picked up dry miso paste instead of tom yum paste, if google translate can be relied on. The ingredients list includes flour (I think) and fermented soybean (I'm sure of this one), so I think google translate is on the money on this one.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: March 23, 2015, 12:39:14 pm »

Apparently you have picked up dry miso paste instead of tom yum paste, if google translate can be relied on. The ingredients list includes flour (I think) and fermented soybean (I'm sure of this one), so I think google translate is on the money on this one.

Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed, though it's my own fault- I should have been able to predict that that lady
a) Speaks really poor Russian
b) Won't hesitate to use the opportunity to sell anything

Okay, are there any recipes of   not disgusting miso-soup? The last and only time I tasted it it was the "just add boiling water" type, which tasted like dry rotten fish powder mixed with some usual dust mixed with tiny pieces of tofu, all mixed with water. Which was enough to make it the last time.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: March 23, 2015, 02:38:00 pm »

In my experience? No, not really.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 23, 2015, 04:56:37 pm »

So I had some leftover red wine and decided to use it in cooking. I know it's supposed to go with red meat rather than fish, but I'm trying to cut back on calories so I got me some gilt-head bream and baked them in an oven with potatoes and mushrooms, covered in a bit of olive oil and like 3dl of wine. Fish turned out pretty good, and mushroom were OK, but potatoes were just terrible. They were ridiculously acidic, and that's a taste that potatoes just can't pull off. So yeah, learn from my example and don't ever bake potatoes in wine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 28, 2015, 08:22:26 am »

So I had some leftover red wine and decided to use it in cooking. I know it's supposed to go with red meat rather than fish, but I'm trying to cut back on calories so I got me some gilt-head bream and baked them in an oven with potatoes and mushrooms, covered in a bit of olive oil and like 3dl of wine. Fish turned out pretty good, and mushroom were OK, but potatoes were just terrible. They were ridiculously acidic, and that's a taste that potatoes just can't pull off. So yeah, learn from my example and don't ever bake potatoes in wine.

Yeah, I only ever see it used for cooking meats rather than vegetables.

Also:

Since I have caelics in my family they're all gluten free.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:07 am »

I think I'm gonna try making ice cream again, this time winging it without a written recipe. This one, I'm gonna take a bag of chocolate chips, melt half of it and mix it in, then throw the rest in, making chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

HeroPizza42

• Bay Watcher
  • My ☼mandrake army☼ is almost ready
    • View Profile
    • Pinterest
« Reply #2588 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:36 am »

fried chicken with peanut butter I never tried it but for some reason im craving it like crazy
My Pinterest

Sorry for my grammar and spelling, I have Dyslexia amongst other problems.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 29, 2015, 02:22:10 pm »

Various things I have cooked recently!

Spoiler: spaghetti (click to show/hide)

I made spaghetti with homemade sauce! And I discovered that making spaghetti sauce is really fun. So I made it again, and added a lot more vegetables because the first sauce was a little plain. The second one is the one pictured and was definitely way better. Lots of onion, chopped and sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, and a decent amount of shredded carrots. The carrots added a bit of sweetness that countered the sharpness of the tomatoes, which was good because I had to add a little sugar to the first sauce to do that.

The carrots actually mostly dissolved into tiny bits over the multiple hour simmering process. I will add more next time because they were a good idea. I'm also thinking about adding a green vegetable of some sort next time. Maybe finely chopped broccoli?

Spoiler: scotch eggs (click to show/hide)

I learned a cool thing you can do with hard boiled eggs: wrapping them in sausage and then breading them.

I used 0.25 pounds of raw sausage per egg, which seemed like a good amount. I also mixed in some pepper, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

I breaded them in cracker crumbs and baked for 40 minutes at 400F, turning them over a couple times and changing out the parchment paper so the bottom side didn't get greasy (if they're sitting in a pool of grease the breading will soak it up). A friend mentioned they were good as bar food with English mustard and beer, so I grabbed a good chocolate stout and Dijon mustard. Dijon does not go very well with them, but the beer was great.

Spoiler: philly cheesesteak (click to show/hide)

I've done this a couple times but it's still delicious. Chopped up some mushrooms/onion/garlic and cooked them a bit in a little butter, then added shredded roast beef. I sauteed all of it together for a minute, then scraped it up into a pile about the size of the bread once it looked like everything was about done. Then I put quite a few slices of provolone on top, lowered the heat, and covered the skillet to melt the cheese.

After it was melted I opened the bread up and laid it down on top of the meat pile, let it cook for another minute or two, and then kind of grabbed the bread with both hands and used it to pick up the meat and hey, then it was a Philly cheesesteak. That only got like 80% of the meat/mushroom/cheese pile though so I opened it up and scooped the rest of the stuff out of the skillet onto the sandwich.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 29, 2015, 03:50:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second time I made 'japchae'. It involves chopping up the bell pepper, chili pepper, onion, shittake mushroom; boiling and tearing the oyster mushrooms, boiling the shrimp, salting and notchijg then cutting and boiling the squid, boiling and ststirfrying glass noodle in a soy sauce/sesame oil/sugar mixture... *takes deep breath* then stirfrying the mushrooms and vegetables and seafood in another soy sauce based mixture. Finally miz it all together with sesame seeds and oil. :D The first time I made it the noodles were undercooked and the mushrooms overcooked but this time it was just right.

I grew up on japchae!  Well done!

Today for brunch, I made sooji upma, a spicy porridge that is a traditional breakfast dish in South India. It's a great way to use up leftovers. In my case, I had a ton of mixed beans in the fridge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: grisha5
« Reply #2591 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:28 am »

grisha5

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: April 01, 2015, 09:10:23 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2593 on: April 01, 2015, 09:35:30 am »

Pathos alive and kill noob

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Cuisine Thread: For People Whose Silverware is Actually Silver
« Reply #2594 on: April 01, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:50:35 pm by penguinofhonor »