Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552990 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2520 on: March 02, 2015, 02:25:19 pm »

Look at it. Does it look bad? Is the texture different, when you feel it, than you expected?Smell it. I can't smell, so I can't help you there. Generally bad meat has a sharp smell if not the outright stench, or so I am told.

Wash it, then cook it well, and you'll probably be fine. Raw chicken and pork are a lot worse than, say, raw beef, considering a lot of people eat steaks almost raw anyway.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »

How do you guys pick your vegetables or, especially, meat? I'm extremely paranoid about any contaminants since I had a bad case of chestburster as a kid and my parents' approach to teaching me any skill was to not to, then yell at me for not knowing how to do it, so right now I spend half a day picking, then pray.

Meat - look at the "sell by" date. It's usually good for a day or two after that, though I try and use it all up by that date just to be safe.

If there's no sell by date, or you're not sure, just give it a good sniff - your nose is very good at detecting rotting meat (cavemen didn't have supermarkets or refrigerators) so if it smells "off" or "sharp" it's probably best to toss it.

Veggies - Check to see if they are firm and free of wilting or obvious defects/rotten spots.  The risk of contamination is just from stuff on the outside, so either get a vegetable brush (not too expensive) and rinse/scrub them good, or just peel them.

You don't have to worry quite as much about them spoiling as you do with meat, just toss them out when they get too wilted to be appealing anymore. As long as they aren't slimy they are still edible so it's mostly just whenever they get too gross for you

For both - cooking it completely is the absolute best way to be safe. Most cases of food poisoning are from improper cooking (or improper washing for veggies that don't get cooked). Cook and wash your food thoroughly and you don't have to worry too much about it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 02, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »

Tried making teriyaki sauce for some chiken and rice
I don't think it should be this consistency
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: March 02, 2015, 05:16:45 pm »

How do you guys pick your vegetables or, especially, meat? I'm extremely paranoid about any contaminants since I had a bad case of chestburster as a kid and my parents' approach to teaching me any skill was to not to, then yell at me for not knowing how to do it, so right now I spend half a day picking, then pray.

Meat - look at the "sell by" date. It's usually good for a day or two after that, though I try and use it all up by that date just to be safe.

If there's no sell by date, or you're not sure, just give it a good sniff - your nose is very good at detecting rotting meat (cavemen didn't have supermarkets or refrigerators) so if it smells "off" or "sharp" it's probably best to toss it.

Veggies - Check to see if they are firm and free of wilting or obvious defects/rotten spots.  The risk of contamination is just from stuff on the outside, so either get a vegetable brush (not too expensive) and rinse/scrub them good, or just peel them.

You don't have to worry quite as much about them spoiling as you do with meat, just toss them out when they get too wilted to be appealing anymore. As long as they aren't slimy they are still edible so it's mostly just whenever they get too gross for you

For both - cooking it completely is the absolute best way to be safe. Most cases of food poisoning are from improper cooking (or improper washing for veggies that don't get cooked). Cook and wash your food thoroughly and you don't have to worry too much about it.
There is an issue with the sell-by - there has been several notorious cases in which supermarkets would wash the spoiling meat, re-tag it to a new sell-by and call it a day.

The thing is, I know to look for signs of spoilage - it's just that I'm way too paranoid about them. Black spot on a veggie? CALL THE NOPEDUCTOR, BOARD THE NOPE TRAIN AND NOPE OUTTA THERE. The advice about the meat seems good, though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: March 02, 2015, 05:40:20 pm »

Now I'm using my extra rice to make rice pudding

Being home alone is boring guys

My dad better like this pudding

E:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not half bad
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:10:14 pm by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: March 02, 2015, 07:33:58 pm »

So, I'm making chicken and cauliflower balti again, and I had three ginormous sweet potatoes (seriously, the largest could be considered a deadly weapon -- 8 inches long and over a foot in circumference) sitting around that needed to get used. Took the smallest one and chunked it to go in the balti, and took the other two and made steak fries out of them. Gonna toss them with olive oil and curry powder (I was out of garam masala) and bake them.

I'll post photos when all is said and done.

Also, I haven't forgotten my promise to do an experimental satay peanut sauce, it's just that I have forgotten the face of my father and allowed the pantry to run out of coconut milk. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want coconut milk for consistency and to bind the flavors together.

EDIT: Changed plans, because the sweet potato fries were so damn thick I was worried about them not cooking properly. So I chopped them up into cubes and tossed them olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and five spice powder (and a small amount of curry powder).

EDIT #2: Forgot the chicken was neither thawed nor cut to bite-size pieces. Plus the pan was running out of space. So I did a vegetarian balti, which is rare for me.

I wound up using half of one potato for the balti, just because holy shit so much potato.

The other two larger sweet potatoes got cubed and tossed with about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1-1/2 tablespoons of five-spice powder, and some fresh ground sea salt and pepper.

These were laid out in a baking dish and roasted in the oven at 425F for about 30 minutes.

Just before that, I had roasted the cauliflower at 375F for about 10 minutes -- not enough to cook it all the way through, but enough to bring out the nuttiness in the flavor and firm it up a bit so they wouldn't get mushy in liquid.

After the potatoes had been roasting in the oven for about 10 minutes, I fixed up a balti curry (from packaged spice mix and water -- I'm not hardcore enough to make my own from scratch).

Then I tossed in the sweet potatoes and the cauliflower and simmered for about 10 minutes. Fixed up a big batch of medium-grain rice in my rice cooker, and then served the balti over top of a bed of rice.

I don't have a separate photo of the finished roast sweet potatoes, because they didn't really change appearance. However, I think five-spice sweet potatoes may be one of the best culinary whims I've ever tried. I may never use plain cinnamon again. Sooooooo goood......
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:56:17 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:11 pm »

Dark Weizen (Bavarian beer) apparently is a great ingredient in lentil soup. Hooray for drunk cooking!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:51 am »

Dark Weizen (Bavarian beer) apparently is a great ingredient in lentil soup. Hooray for drunk cooking!
My favourite part of making cheddar ale soup. Guinness for the soup, Guinness for the cook!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: March 03, 2015, 09:45:46 pm »

Anyone have any ideas on something I could do with a bunch of extra sweet-and-sour sauce?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: March 03, 2015, 09:46:15 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:27:33 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »

Spinach? Kale? An ent assistant?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 03, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:27:27 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:03 pm »

That's some good stuff. Makes a fine soup, especially. You dun chose good.

EDIT: I've made something rather like kimchi from sauerkraut, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce. It's not quite right, of course, but it's a lot cheaper than the overpriced kimchi available in grocery stores (though I should try an Asian grocery, honestly), and it's a lot easier than making it from scratch.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:21:01 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

HeroPizza42

• Bay Watcher
  • My ☼mandrake army☼ is almost ready
    • View Profile
    • Pinterest
« Reply #2533 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:19 am »

post to watch
My Pinterest

Sorry for my grammar and spelling, I have Dyslexia amongst other problems.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: March 07, 2015, 11:51:26 am »

Did I tell you guys about my Biersuppe - beer soup - yet?

Take a pack of pudding powder and mix it with ~60g (three heaped tablespoons) of sugar, a pinch of salt, a bit of milk to give it a creamy consistency, and an egg yolk. Put a litre of milk in a pot with some cinnamon and a good amount of raisins and bring to a boil. Pour in the pudding mix while stirring rapidly to prevent clumping. Boil for a couple of moments, then pour in half a litre of beer - Weizen works well, though any other sweet-ish beer should be good as well. Guinness could be good, I think, but I don't think a Pils would work well. Malt beer definitely works, and is suitable if you want an alcohol-free version, for example for pregnant women or children.
Make a foam from the white of the egg you got that yolk from and fold (?) it in the soup. If you're afraid of salmonella, boil again, but this might have an impact on the soup's taste.
Serve together with Schwarzbrot (apparently untranslatable), Pumpernickel ideally: When eating the soup, you take a slice of Schwarzbrot, crumble it up and put it in the soup. This part is vital - without the Schwarzbrot, the soup will only taste half as good.

Biersuppe is one of my early childhood memories, and I'm very happy to have rediscovered that recipe. It's also as German as cooking gets, I guess :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 334