Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550834 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #1980 on: December 04, 2014, 04:48:21 pm »

Of course, it all depends on how long you let the mead ferment. The bottle I once bought had gone straight through to dryness, and it was not very pleasant. It tasted like soap and burning. Then again, no self-respecting barbarian would be able to wait that much longer after it had already gotten alcoholic and delicious, so that's probably not the issue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 04, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »

I'm not an expert, but in a lot of pre-medieval societies, farming was men's work and the women were relegated to housework, hence the term housewife. Beekeeping would have been a man's job.

This is generally a myth. Outside of nobility, both genders were needed to do farm work, especially at harvest time.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 04, 2014, 05:39:05 pm »

I just realized I can make hot chocolate with actual chocolate. Like, grate (or break up) half a bar of dark chocolate into a cup, ad a teaspoon of cocoa and just a bit of milk, put the cup into a pot of water (to prevent the heat from fucking up your cup), heat it up and stir it. Heat some more milk in a separate cup, then mix everything together and stir again. Hot chocolate.

I shit upon the gods, it's actual hot chocolate.

Speaking of mead, it doesn't necessarily have to be sweet. I've tried some rather bitter dark mead made from buckwheat honey, it was pretty good, if a bit dry.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: December 04, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »

Hot chocolate from a bain marie? Fancy~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 04, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »

Hot chocolate from a bain marie? Fancy~
That's what it's called, eh? I had no idea and was too lazy to check. But yeah, it's pretty fancy-like. Simply using a metal cup might have been more efficient, though, but I don't have one.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 04, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »

Mmmmh, I wonder if I could use the lab's hot water bath to do my chocolate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 04, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »

And here I thought alchohol tasted bad in general lol
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 04, 2014, 06:09:19 pm »

Pure alcohol doesn't taste much like anything, unless you count 'liquid burning' as a flavor, pretty much any alcohol is flavored. Eugh, that reminds me of a HORRIBLE wine I drank at my friend's place last week, it tasted like somewhat sweet nothing. Water probably tasted more like grapes, fermented or not, than that crap.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: December 04, 2014, 06:16:23 pm »

Mmmmh, I wonder if I could use the lab's hot water bath to do my chocolate.
In theory, you almost certainly can. I mean, I only know about this method (of heating stuff) from my Applied Chemistry courses. I could have figured it out by myself, of course, but still.
In practice, it's a serious breach of lab safety rules, and a proper lab supervisor will have you shot.

That may be a personal preference thing, but I think different kinds of alcohol taste very, very different. There's not really a specific "alcohol taste" to hate, and even if there was, plenty of alcoholic drincs wouldn't taste like it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: December 04, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »

Yeah, exactly. But there is so much cool cooking you could do with lab equipment. And you're not a biologist until you wondered what milliQ water and agarose gels tasted like.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: December 04, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »

Yeah, exactly. But there is so much cool cooking you could do with lab equipment. And you're not a biologist until you wondered what milliQ water and agarose gels tasted like.
I would guess milliQ tastes like pretty much nothing? Of course, can't know until you check.
I probably have less experience with lab work than you, but I remember wandering what colloidal sulphur tastes like. I quench it with water, then I think "It's cool now, I wonder if it's okay if I just gargle it..?"

And that, fellow kids, is how I got barred from the lab.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: December 04, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »

Sulfur? That's weird. I guess we have slightly different experiences, you being a chemist and me a biologist. More edible stuff in my lab, mostly.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: December 04, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »

Sulfur? That's weird. I guess we have slightly different experiences, you being a chemist and me a biologist. More edible stuff in my lab, mostly.
Oh, everything's edible at least once. About the sulfur, I just had two very different concepts of how it would taste - I thought it would either taste like pine resin (for some reason), or like earwax (the Russian phrase for "earwax" literally translates to "ear sulfur"). It's wasn't a rational thing, just morbid curiosity induced by a wholly imagined dichotomy thingy.
Another similar thought that I had is whether one could crush a chunk of potassium in one's hand, whether it would burn the skin due to residual moisture, plus certain culinary/gastronomical associations due to it looking like cat food while submerged in a jar of oil.

I guess that's why they kept it in a bullet-proof safe.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: December 04, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:10:16 am by penguinofhonor »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: December 04, 2014, 11:23:28 pm »

I apologize. Of course, now that I'm getting hungry, I really wish I had grabbed one of those potato spirals...

It's funny, before I realized what mead actually is, I always imagined it being something sour or bitter. Something... manly? I mean, it's what vikings and such used to drink, right? It turns out that it's basically alcoholic candy. Seriously. It's girlier than peppermint schnapps. I... I have so much less respect for all those warriors in old stories now. They were like, "I have returned from the battle and I demand a cup of hot sugary sweetness laced with alcohol!"
"Girly" drinks are about I can handle :P
I wonder how hard it would be to find mead around here...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 334