Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550814 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #1965 on: December 04, 2014, 02:39:41 am »

That's good to hear :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:53 am »

So I made tartiflette, and though "let's make a bit more, so I'll have leftover for tomorrow". Except I apprently suck at estimating quantities, and barely ate a fifth of that tomorrow. I think me and my three flatmates are going to dine on my leftovers tonight.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: December 04, 2014, 07:18:44 am »

Hmm, payday tomorrow, I think I'm going to make Nanaimo bars. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 04, 2014, 11:55:38 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:31:01 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1969 on: December 04, 2014, 12:33:26 pm »

I decided to walk home today from the city center, as it was a mild winter's evening and I was in a good mood. I passed through the big Christmas market on Old Town Square and ooohhhhh the smells. Sausages cooked over wood fires, potatoes cut into spirals and fried on wooden skewers, cinnamon/sugar spiral pastries cooked over an open flame, svařák (mulled wine), roasted Prague ham, hot medovina (mead)...

I had just eaten, so I decided on a paper pouch of freshly roasted chestnuts. I have actually never had roasted chestnuts before and I did not know what I was in for. They are SO GOOD (though a pain in the ass to peel). I must make these myself sometime (couldn't be too complicated). On the way home, I decided to pick up a bottle of medovina (it was really expensive just for a small cup at the market but it's very common and cheap to buy at the supermarket here) and heat it up on the stove. I'm currently nibbling at the last of the chestnuts and sipping at my hot mead. Now that's what I call a lovely evening.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 04, 2014, 12:54:45 pm »

I decided to walk home today from the city center, as it was a mild winter's evening and I was in a good mood. I passed through the big Christmas market on Old Town Square and ooohhhhh the smells. Sausages cooked over wood fires, potatoes cut into spirals and fried on wooden skewers, cinnamon/sugar spiral pastries cooked over an open flame, svařák (mulled wine), roasted Prague ham, hot medovina (mead)...

I had just eaten, so I decided on a paper pouch of freshly roasted chestnuts. I have actually never had roasted chestnuts before and I did not know what I was in for. They are SO GOOD (though a pain in the ass to peel). I must make these myself sometime (couldn't be too complicated). On the way home, I decided to pick up a bottle of medovina (it was really expensive just for a small cup at the market but it's very common and cheap to buy at the supermarket here) and heat it up on the stove. I'm currently nibbling at the last of the chestnuts and sipping at my hot mead. Now that's what I call a lovely evening.

With the mention of the trdelniki (I'm assuming that's what you meant by the pastries you mentioned), ham and potatoes, I'm getting flashbacks to summer. Is there snow there yet? I gotta see Prague in winter someday...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1971 on: December 04, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »

Delicious trdelniki.... Yes, that's what I meant. There was some snow the other day, but it's all melted now. It was above freezing today, so everything is gone. There will be more, though. Prague in winter can be lovely, but the problem is always that the snow melts away too quickly, or turns into a gray dirty mess. To see the pretty snow, you need to get up and see it in the morning. : )

By the way, this medovina is kicking my ass. Alcoholic honey. That's basically what it is. Sweet boozey goodness. Mmmmmmm.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 04, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »

I should not have read Sappho's post. I am really hungry because of it. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1973 on: December 04, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »

I apologize. Of course, now that I'm getting hungry, I really wish I had grabbed one of those potato spirals...

It's funny, before I realized what mead actually is, I always imagined it being something sour or bitter. Something... manly? I mean, it's what vikings and such used to drink, right? It turns out that it's basically alcoholic candy. Seriously. It's girlier than peppermint schnapps. I... I have so much less respect for all those warriors in old stories now. They were like, "I have returned from the battle and I demand a cup of hot sugary sweetness laced with alcohol!"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: December 04, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »

And why are sweet thing not manly?

*Sheb goes back to manlyfully snacking on a manly bar of manly white chocolate.*

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 04, 2014, 02:49:32 pm »

Gotta be pretty manly to get the honey without modern beekeeping equipment.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1976 on: December 04, 2014, 02:52:34 pm »

Wouldn't that have been women's work? Fall into the category of cooking, while the men were out killing each other?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1977 on: December 04, 2014, 02:57:30 pm »

Wouldn't that have been women's work? Fall into the category of cooking, while the men were out killing each other?

You've clearly never encountered the terror of a catapult hurling beehives. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 04, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »

I'm not an expert, but in a lot of pre-medieval societies, farming was men's work and the women were relegated to housework, hence the term housewife. Beekeeping would have been a man's job.

Warriors were generally from a specific caste of people, as peasants were not allowed to train with or own weaponry.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 04, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »

I'm not an expert, but in a lot of pre-medieval societies, farming was men's work and the women were relegated to housework, hence the term housewife.
There's an interesting bit about semi-modern gender roles regarding gardening: The area where my family comes from has very light, sandy soil; gardening work like tending vegetables, which was a very important thing a couple of decades ago, was considered women's work. The area where I grew up has very heavy, clay-rich (and thus very, very fertile) earth: Because of this gardening work is much harder, and it is thusly considered men's work.
All this within 300 km of each other, mind you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 334