Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550790 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Grammatical Misteaks
« Reply #1935 on: November 17, 2014, 11:55:19 am »

I made pomegranate pear salsa last night. It's great.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

Do you guys know about The Food Lab?

Entirely aside from it being a good site with delicious recipes and tricks, I love it because the author Kenji tends to explain his methodology when experimenting with a recipe, and the various trials he attempted. End result is whatever happens, you know why he did it, and what effect altering that part of the recipe will yield. Makes this a web resource that is utterly brilliant both for those who like to follow recipes exactly, and those who like to take a few key ideas and tweak accordingly!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 18, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »

I've made some forays into the baking/cooking and the like. Recently made a pumpkin spice cheesecake bars for a Halloween party. Some friends are considering having a pot-luck a few days before Thanksgiving. I'm absolutely stumped on what to make since everyone's going to do desert on the account that we won't really have time/place to keep a dish warm. Any suggestions? Considering just brewing up some cool Hisbiscus Tea.

Also, the pumpkin spice cheesecake was really good. I can't seem to find the link I used for it and I didn't take any pictures. I think it was this: Here
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 18, 2014, 10:37:31 pm »

Hm... you could make potato salad or some other cold dish, perhaps? Just set it outside to cool off every so often and you should be fine for temperature >______>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 19, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »

Huh, I used far less cheese/pepperoni/sauce on these rice balls than I thought I would. They taste alright enough.

Are you stuffing your pizza onigiris, or are you using it as topping?

Stuffing them. Topping would be messier than it already is. And man, do these things get STALE after a few days in the fridge :-\.

Also, the pumpkin spice cheesecake was really good. I can't seem to find the link I used for it and I didn't take any pictures. I think it was this: Here
I know what I'm making for Thanksgiving now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »

I'm getting a banh mi sandwich from a food truck. I love food trucks!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 23, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

I'm getting a banh mi sandwich from a food truck. I love food trucks!

When I read that, my first thought was "he seems to be mispelling 'ham sandwhich'".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1942 on: November 23, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »

My first thought on reading that was "he seems to be misspelling 'ham sandwich'". :P

Had grilled chicken with baked potatoes and coleslaw for supper. The coals weren't hot enough though, so the chicken didn't get that hot caramelised skin soaked in liquid fat that is absolutely delicious and makes me wonder if there's crack involved in the spices.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #1943 on: November 24, 2014, 04:17:33 am »

I'm making beer! Yay homebrew!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Belgian golden ales in the glass carboy, something like an American pale ale in the plastic fermenters.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 24, 2014, 05:38:03 am »

Tell us how it went later on. My sister tried to do some homebrew, and the results were... best forgotten.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:52 am »

Protip: Mushroom wine is not an experiment worth pursuing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:02 pm »

Protip: Mushroom wine is not an experiment worth pursuing.

It can be done! You just need to add the appropriate amount of brewing sugar and consider the mushrooms more of a 'flavour' component. 2lbs white mushrooms per UK gallon of wine seems to work well, or so I heard... O_o

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 24, 2014, 05:12:36 pm »

Oh, I know you can get it to ferment but the result was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. Perfect for university freshmen, but even I'm not that cruel.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »

Oh, I know you can get it to ferment but the result was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. Perfect for university freshmen, but even I'm not that cruel.

How long did you let it age? A lot of wines are really foul if you don't let them sit for at least 6 months, preferably a year or more.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 24, 2014, 06:02:23 pm »

Oooh, applied Biotechnology!

To be honest, come to think of it, a mushroom wine is the most black metal drink ever: you're making yourself a drink from mouldy corpses of cannibalized organisms.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 334