Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550797 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Food Thread: Grammatical Misteaks
« Reply #1920 on: November 15, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »

I've got half a Hokkaido pumpkin and some potatoes roasting in the oven right now. They are taking FOREVER to cook but oh MAN do they smell good. So hungry...

Dammit Sappho now I'm envious.

Although I just had chicken fillets, rice, and mixed vegetables drenched in gravy, so I can't complain.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 15, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »

Huh? At least in Germany Mars and Milky Way are distinct.

Unless I'm misremembering, Milky Way originated as European-targeted variant of Mars, but they're both sold in both places AFAIK.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 15, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

Both Milky Way and Mars are a thing in Poland, though Mars is more common, in my experience.

Also, what do you do with excess spaghetti sauce from the previous day, some cheese and bread? Make oven-baked spaghetti+cheese pseudo-casseroles of course. It's pretty good stuff. (well, the sauce can be substited with anything, like tomatoes or ham)

In other news, we'll be buying full-grain bread now starting the next week. Can't wait, I've had enough white bread in my life at this point and not enough other kinds of bread. Goota thank my sister for (kind of) introducing me to how good it actually gets when we were at her's house earlier this week. :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:05:24 pm by DarkDXZ »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 15, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »

roll the bread flat, put some sauce and cheese in it, more cheese to keep it solid, then heat it somewhere

spaghetti breadritto vOv

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1924 on: November 15, 2014, 03:34:48 pm »

Huh. I always thought Mars and Milky Way were the same thing with different names. They didn't have Mars bars where I grew up, and the first time I came to Europe, they didn't have Milky Ways, so I thought it was just regional names for the same product.

Well I sure learned something today!

My pumpkin was amazing. The problem with pumpkin is that there's never enough of it. I always want just a few more bites than are available. : (

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 15, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »

I've just made a sandwich out of some pumpernickel fried in butter, about 6 ounces of beer cheddar, and a couple of sliced up pickles. It's amazing. Why are buttered rye breads the best for hot sandwiches?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 15, 2014, 06:34:41 pm »

Mars bars and milky ways are completely different. Marbars are caramel, milky ways are not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:06 pm »

I've just made a sandwich out of some pumpernickel fried in butter, about 6 ounces of beer cheddar, and a couple of sliced up pickles. It's amazing. Why are buttered rye breads the best for hot sandwiches?

Don't know about fried, but rye bread toasts up amazingly well. It ends up with lovely light, crisp surface with that chewy rye centre, and omg is so good. That may be my Polish genetics talking though... gotta have dat rye bread.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 16, 2014, 11:43:22 am »

Bleh, I learned that the price of the rice I needed has doubled since I bought it last. Also got some mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and sauce. Pizza onigiri? Total ingedrient cost, about $17 for at least two weeks supply, so within budget, but still more than I wanted to pay :(. The cheese and sauce were cheaper than anticipated, so that's good.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1929 on: November 16, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »

Mars bars and milky ways are completely different. Marbars are caramel, milky ways are not.

I thought Milky Ways had caramel, too. What am I thinking of, then? Because I'm sure there was no Mars bars where I grew up, but I distinctly remember a candy bar with nougat and caramel with a chocolate coating.

EDIT: It was driving me crazy, so I just looked it up. In the US, Milky Way bars are identical to Mars Bars. Caramel and nougat. In the UK, Milky Way bars have no caramel, so they're a different thing altogether. Mystery solved!

EDIT2: Complete with illustration!

Hmm, curious. Ok, after some sleuthing, it seems we may have a lost in translation situation going on here. In the UK, a Mars bar is caramel and nougat covered in chocolate. In the US, a Milky Way is caramel and nougat covered in chocolate. So they are pretty much the same candy but shaped a little different.

To make matters more complicated, a UK Milky Way is just nougat covered in chocolate or what Americans would call a 3 Musketeers. And a US Mars bar is caramel, nougat and almonds covered in chocolate or what Brits/Europeans would call a Mars Almond.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:40:35 pm by Sappho »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 16, 2014, 07:41:57 pm »

Jeez. Who would have thought that candy bars could be so confusing?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 16, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »

Mmm, especially because a Mars Almond sounds line a Snickers...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:21 am »

Fun fact.

The Indian version of snickers is eggless, meaning I can eat it.

Not so with Mars Bars.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 17, 2014, 08:55:02 am »

Huh, I used far less cheese/pepperoni/sauce on these rice balls than I thought I would. They taste alright enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 17, 2014, 10:07:37 am »

Huh, I used far less cheese/pepperoni/sauce on these rice balls than I thought I would. They taste alright enough.

Are you stuffing your pizza onigiris, or are you using it as topping?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 334