Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 549912 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1680 on: September 15, 2014, 12:18:00 am »

Oh, I had the sense to take it out before it exploded in the microwave, trust me. Not till I bit into it did that fucker go off.

While I understand that this was no doubt a traumatic experience for you, I'm sorry, but I straight up burst out laughing at that imagery.

I second that emotion
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:48 am »

Oh, I had the sense to take it out before it exploded in the microwave, trust me. Not till I bit into it did that fucker go off.

While I understand that this was no doubt a traumatic experience for you, I'm sorry, but I straight up burst out laughing at that imagery.
Hey, I'm laughing too, it was pretty funny.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1682 on: September 15, 2014, 01:44:07 pm »

I have a mug of a blend of coffee, cocoa, and accidentally quite a lot of sugar. It is like drinking liquid pleasure. It tastes like liquid, hot, fresh chocolate pudding.

...now I want custard.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 15, 2014, 02:17:33 pm »

I just remembered how in winters my mum would roast almonds in a tinfoil bowl on top of the kerosene heater.
Ahhhh, 'merica.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 15, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »

"Almonds roasting on the camping stove" just doesn't have the same ring to it... On that note, has anyone actually roasted chestnuts on an open fire? Any good? or is it just a scent thing?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:32 pm »

I imagine it would taste good. ...Now I want to try it to see. And where the hell can I get some pumpkin spice on short notice? I want some in my coffee, naow!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:42 pm »

I imagine it would taste good. ...Now I want to try it to see. And where the hell can I get some pumpkin spice on short notice? I want some in my coffee, naow!

This time of year? Should be able to get it at most major grocery outlets.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 15, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »

It's also just a combination of common spices, so you could make it yourself.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »

Made Korean Beef last night (may or may not contain actual Korean). It is so delicious. Basically you cook ground beef or strips of steak (I'm cheap though) with diced garlic, diced ginger, and sesame oil, once browned stir in a tonne of brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (I don't add the salt though, soy sauce is salty enough). Then just simmer it a few minutes. Serve on rice, add a veg if desired (I steamed broccoli). So delicious. It's a great sweet/spice/salt combo, and if you find it too much or little in either category, it's just one ingredient that needs increasing/decreasing (more/less soy sauce, pepper flakes, sugar).

I had a pound of ground beef that I needed to use today, so I searched this thread for "beef" and found this post. I looked up a recipe for specific measurements (decided on this one because green onions are awesome) and the result is delicious.

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

I used noodles instead of rice because I like noodles better. Next time I think I'm going to use fresh ginger.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »

Sub sammich time! Pepperoni, salami, provolone cheese, and spinach.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1690 on: September 16, 2014, 12:46:06 am »

I found a recipe for pumpkin spice online a while back and have been using it successfully ever since. It's basically just ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, powdered ginger (not fresh - the taste is different), and ground allspice. Play around with it until you get the proportions you like, and laugh in the face of companies that would charge you loads of money to mix it for you.

I'm sure there are other recipes out there, with altered ingredients, but this one works fine for me.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 16, 2014, 05:09:38 am »

Made Korean Beef last night (may or may not contain actual Korean). It is so delicious. Basically you cook ground beef or strips of steak (I'm cheap though) with diced garlic, diced ginger, and sesame oil, once browned stir in a tonne of brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (I don't add the salt though, soy sauce is salty enough). Then just simmer it a few minutes. Serve on rice, add a veg if desired (I steamed broccoli). So delicious. It's a great sweet/spice/salt combo, and if you find it too much or little in either category, it's just one ingredient that needs increasing/decreasing (more/less soy sauce, pepper flakes, sugar).

I had a pound of ground beef that I needed to use today, so I searched this thread for "beef" and found this post. I looked up a recipe for specific measurements (decided on this one because green onions are awesome) and the result is delicious.

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

I used noodles instead of rice because I like noodles better. Next time I think I'm going to use fresh ginger.

I'll try to post actual recipes next time! Glad you liked that one, it's amazing isn't it? Also yes, fresh ginger makes a huge difference. That recipe looks quite close to the one I have written down.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 16, 2014, 07:00:12 am »

I found a recipe for pumpkin spice online a while back and have been using it successfully ever since. It's basically just ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, powdered ginger (not fresh - the taste is different), and ground allspice. Play around with it until you get the proportions you like, and laugh in the face of companies that would charge you loads of money to mix it for you.

I'm sure there are other recipes out there, with altered ingredients, but this one works fine for me.
No pumpkin at all? I am actually quite shocked. I have all of that in my spice cabinet in ludicrous quantities.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:41 am »

No pumpkin at all? I am actually quite shocked. I have all of that in my spice cabinet in ludicrous quantities.

It might be that it's the spice FOR pumpkins, not OF them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:23 am »

Ya, it's derived from common spices used for pumpkin baking. Like how Italian Seasoning isn't made of actual Italians, much to my disappointment.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 334