Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550316 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1545 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:27 am »

Damn it. Now you've all got me craving chili cheese fries. Where the hell am I supposed to find those in Prague? I don't have the means to make any decent chili. : (
Ugh. You should come visit. I'd build you a computer and make you some chili. That said, I'd have a hell of a time making chili with no meat in it (iirc, you are a veggie?) I've never done so. Also: tuypo1 is either a lordslowpoke sockpuppet or doing an admirable job of emulating him. The more LSP-style lol-no-punctuation-on-purpose-grammar-fail posts I see on B12, the more I want to smack everyone who does it. I get that LSP does it to get everyone's goad (or he had a stroke when we weren't looking,) but it's worn thin long ago.

I'm not really a vegetarian, though I rarely eat meat. I prefer veg foods, don't know how to cook meat, and meat is expensive. When I do eat meat, I'm very picky about it. I don't like most meat. However, some good quality meat in chili would be just fine with me!

Since my polite and friendly request for more careful posts went completely ignored, I'm going to go ahead and ignore future intentionally grammarless posts. This is generally the one respectful, intelligent corner of the internet I know of, and I really hope that doesn't change.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:24 am »

Damn it. Now you've all got me craving chili cheese fries. Where the hell am I supposed to find those in Prague? I don't have the means to make any decent chili. : (
Ugh. You should come visit. I'd build you a computer and make you some chili. That said, I'd have a hell of a time making chili with no meat in it (iirc, you are a veggie?) I've never done so. Also: tuypo1 is either a lordslowpoke sockpuppet or doing an admirable job of emulating him. The more LSP-style lol-no-punctuation-on-purpose-grammar-fail posts I see on B12, the more I want to smack everyone who does it. I get that LSP does it to get everyone's goad (or he had a stroke when we weren't looking,) but it's worn thin long ago.

I'm not really a vegetarian, though I rarely eat meat. I prefer veg foods, don't know how to cook meat, and meat is expensive. When I do eat meat, I'm very picky about it. I don't like most meat. However, some good quality meat in chili would be just fine with me!

Since my polite and friendly request for more careful posts went completely ignored, I'm going to go ahead and ignore future intentionally grammarless posts. This is generally the one respectful, intelligent corner of the internet I know of, and I really hope that doesn't change.
i am insulted you think my poor grammar is intentional
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 11, 2014, 12:55:23 am »

I'm pretty much on the verge of the same thing, as far as the lolgrammar is concerned.

As far as the meat in the chili, it's stupidly simple to make. I understand that it's probably a little difficult to get some good ground beef where you are, but all I do is brown it in a skillet (cook it over fairly high heat until it turns brown, don't burn it,) drain off the grease, and season it with all the spices I put in the chili (garlic, onion powder, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, cajun seasoning, paprika, and chili powder.) For other meats, I'd be happy to help you out with recipes if you need.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 11, 2014, 02:25:10 am »

Re: ground beef, the best and safest way to get it, I think, and assuming that Czech meat shops are similar to Polish ones, at least some will agree to have the meat ground for you, so you just buy a cow shank or fore rib or whatever and ask them to grind it for you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1549 on: August 11, 2014, 07:37:54 am »

Yes, I've heard that it's best to go to a butcher and ask them to grind some fresh. I just have to learn how to ask for these things in Czech, since they rarely speak English. Apparently there's actually a very good butcher quite close to me. I need to learn more vocabulary.

Of course, it's still very expensive, so I wouldn't be getting it very often anyway. As for the chili, I really wouldn't know where to start. My only cooking options are an induction cooktop with either a shallow pan, a small pot, or a big pot, and a large toaster oven. Doesn't good chili require some sort of slow cooker? The lowest setting on my cooktop still tends to burn things if they're left alone for too long.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 11, 2014, 11:15:59 am »

I'm pretty much on the verge of the same thing, as far as the lolgrammar is concerned.

Stop talking about this or take it to another thread.

And if you decide to ignore someone in the future, don't make a post about it. Just ignore them.

Doesn't good chili require some sort of slow cooker? The lowest setting on my cooktop still tends to burn things if they're left alone for too long.

You'll probably have to stir it more than in a slow cooker, but you can definitely make chili in a big pot on the stovetop. My mom does it pretty regularly.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:28:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:41 am »

My parents swear by a slow cooker, if that means anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:27 am »

The trick to a good chili is to simmer the hell out of it if you're doing it on the stove top. The benefit of a slow-cooker is you can leave the house without worrying about it burning down.

On the note of chili, this is a nice way to mix it up a bit, and quite delicious:
http://farmflavor.com/white-bean-chicken-chili/

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:39 am »

Tonight we had fajitas. Never knew charred beef could taste so good.
Note: never let mom cook again.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 12, 2014, 08:00:34 pm »

Nothin' wrong with a good smoked cheddar :P
Smoked gouda :9
Charred Goats cheese.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1555 on: August 16, 2014, 04:16:05 am »

Uuuggghhhhh.... Do NOT eat an old potato. Green skin is fine, but if it has black spots on it and tastes bad, throw it in the TRASH. I had just one iffy potato last night with my dinner and I'm still feeling sick this morning. That's harsh, potatoes. Not cool.

I think the key is the taste. I've never gotten sick from a green potato, or even one with a few brown spots, but this one tasted kind of off. Bitter. If you taste that, throw it away.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 16, 2014, 08:15:26 am »

You really shouldn't be eating green potatoes, either. Under certain circumstances, potatoes are straight-up poisonous and can kill you, and chlorophyll in/under the skin can be an indication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine

Quote from: Wiki page
Showing green under the skin strongly suggests solanine build-up in potatoes, although each process can occur without the other. A bitter taste in a potato is another, potentially more reliable indicator of toxicity.

It doesn't need to be green to be toxic, and isn't always toxic when green, but they often go hand in hand. Considering you mentioned it tasting bitter, it's possible this is what you encountered.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1557 on: August 16, 2014, 09:48:22 am »

I've never had a problem with green potatoes. Older potatoes tend to go green, and older potatoes are more likely to be poisonous, but I'm positive there is absolutely no causation between the green color and the poison. Wikipedia isn't always right, and I'm not sure how the idea that green color is related to solanine got started, other than that both tend to happen in older potatoes. That's like saying that old people tend to use a cane to walk around, and old people tend to slowly lose their eyesight, therefore anyone walking with a cane probably has bad eyesight. They're separate things.

I eat green potatoes all the time and the only time I've ever had a problem there was no green whatsoever. I think the taste is a far more reliable indicator than any external signs.

Fortunately I only had one potato. My stomach was upset and it did give me diarrhea, but I wasn't throwing up, so I didn't worry too much about it. I feel okay now, just tired and slightly weak.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 16, 2014, 09:57:28 am »

I've never had a problem with green potatoes. Older potatoes tend to go green, and older potatoes are more likely to be poisonous, but I'm positive there is absolutely no causation between the green color and the poison. Wikipedia isn't always right, and I'm not sure how the idea that green color is related to solanine got started, other than that both tend to happen in older potatoes. That's like saying that old people tend to use a cane to walk around, and old people tend to slowly lose their eyesight, therefore anyone walking with a cane probably has bad eyesight. They're separate things.

I eat green potatoes all the time and the only time I've ever had a problem there was no green whatsoever. I think the taste is a far more reliable indicator than any external signs.

Fortunately I only had one potato. My stomach was upset and it did give me diarrhea, but I wasn't throwing up, so I didn't worry too much about it. I feel okay now, just tired and slightly weak.

Greenness is from chlorophyll. Sun exposure -> UV damage -> chlorophyll buildup to block UV and solanine buildup as response to damage.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 17, 2014, 01:55:04 am »

So, I have a lot (A LOT) of apples. What are your suggestions to deal with them? Store them for winter? Cider? Apple pies (FREEDOM)? Calvados? Or something completely different.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 334