Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550344 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1515 on: August 10, 2014, 01:53:43 am »

Damn it. Now you've all got me craving chili cheese fries. Where the hell am I supposed to find those in Prague? I don't have the means to make any decent chili. : (

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 10, 2014, 02:03:40 am »

And here in rural india I can only get three types of cheese:

curd, which is barely cheese, and doesn't melt.
Processed cheese, which is impossible to work with,
and mozerrela, which is only good on pizza.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 10, 2014, 05:44:41 am »

surely you can get some cheder even if it is processed everything goes with cheedar
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1518 on: August 10, 2014, 06:32:22 am »

Outside of America, the UK, and a few other places, cheddar is actually quite rare and expensive. I can get it here in Prague, but it's too expensive for me to bother. It's something you'd have to get as a specialty, imported from overseas.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because something is common where you live, that means everyone has access to it. I'm guessing you're in the United States. That means you probably don't have access to tvaroh/quark, eidam, or bread flavored with caraway, even though they're all ubiquitous here.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:22 am »

Outside of America, the UK, and a few other places, cheddar is actually quite rare and expensive. I can get it here in Prague, but it's too expensive for me to bother. It's something you'd have to get as a specialty, imported from overseas.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because something is common where you live, that means everyone has access to it. I'm guessing you're in the United States. That means you probably don't have access to tvaroh/quark, eidam, or bread flavored with caraway, even though they're all ubiquitous here.
im from Australia and thats good advice there about assuming that something been common where you are means its common elsewhere i used to assume .22 bullets were cheap everywhere but interesting and yes you would be right about me not having access to any of those things

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1520 on: August 10, 2014, 07:24:46 am »

im from Australia and thats good advice there about assuming that something been common where you are means its common elsewhere i used to assume .22 bullets were cheap everywhere but interesting and yes you would be right about me not having access to any of those things

I beg you to please use some punctuation when you write. I see that you're fairly new to Bay12 (although you gave yourself the title of "historian"), and I know that most of the internet is uncaring about how you write, but in general, people here try to take their time and write carefully as a sign of respect for one another. It's part of why we have such a great community here. You don't need to write perfectly, of course. Everyone makes mistakes, and we have plenty of non-native speakers of English around here who struggle sometimes, but if you take the time to write slowly, and try to use proper punctuation and capitalization (and at least separate your writing into sentences), you'll get a much better response. At the moment your writing is really quite difficult to read, and many people will simply skip reading what you post because it's too much work, which would be a shame.

Just take your time. There's no rush to post something quickly. Be careful with your writing, and others will be careful to read and understand what you post. Thanks!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 10, 2014, 10:25:06 am »

this is the part where you acquire raw milk and engage in the most canon dwarven profession known to b12

namely you dig into the bowels of the earth and give the milk to the demons in exchange of a share of the cheese they make before stabbing them in the eye socket and taking all the cheese

wait what

thing is, there's clearly a market niche in there for you

gotta dollops fast

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 10, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:44:32 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 10, 2014, 11:41:33 am »

Hey, now. Cheddar's delicious - you just need to find a properly sharp one. Best cheese I ever ate was, I think, a 10 year old cheddar. This does not help Sappho or Japa, of course.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:09 pm »

Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because something is common where you live, that means everyone has access to it.

Cheddar is such a crappy cheese produced in such excessive volume that I tend to assume people have access to it elsewhere simply because someone must be purchasing it, possibly someone overseas with terrible taste but a strong desire to sample as much edible Americana kitsch as possible.

But cheddar is from a town in Somerset, England....

Besides, it's the most popular cheese in the world, so it must be doing something right. Though that may be down to WW2 more than anything.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 10, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

Don't make the mistake of assuming that just because something is common where you live, that means everyone has access to it.

Cheddar is such a crappy cheese produced in such excessive volume that I tend to assume people have access to it elsewhere simply because someone must be purchasing it, possibly someone overseas with terrible taste but a strong desire to sample as much edible Americana kitsch as possible.

Besides, it's the most popular cheese in the world, so it must be doing something right. Though that may be down to WW2 more than anything.
Not just from England anyway, though that might be where it originated. There's plenty of American cheddar, of various qualities from various states. I also had some from Ireland and once an Australian cheddar. Is good stuff.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1526 on: August 10, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »

Not just from England anyway, though that might be where it originated. There's plenty of American cheddar, of various qualities from various states. I also had some from Ireland and once an Australian cheddar. Is good stuff.

It is originally from Cheddar Gorge, England. Apparently Neolithic peoples made it in a cave there.

Anyway, my dad makes fantastic chillies. Mmmm...
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 10, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

Around here the prolem mostly is that the climate is bad for cheese. Too hot.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 10, 2014, 07:30:29 pm »

best food to come out of war will always be the anzac biscuit man i want some anzac biscuits

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1529 on: August 10, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »

I feel like I should be offended, but you have a good point. ANZAC biscuits are good stuff.

Note on cheese: Cheddar isn't bad, it's more down to the brand you're buying from. Many cheeses are marketed as "cheddar" when really they're just the reconstituted jizz of moneygrubbing capitalist jerkwads offcuts of proper cheese. It isn't hard to come by in New Zealand, but there are still overwhelmingly prevalent crappy brands.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 334