Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550241 times)

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1470 on: August 02, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »

Don't forget  the copious amounts of minced everything
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 02, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »

I want to try gazpacho. The picture of it in Tomadachi Life looks hella tasty. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1472 on: August 02, 2014, 11:30:14 pm »

Now I want to know what minced demon tallow would be like.

Chewy, I guess? Maybe really spicy? Fatty enough to give you instantaneous heart disease?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1473 on: August 03, 2014, 03:45:43 am »

I've started making coffee cream pops. Easy peasy, delicious, caffeinated.

1. Boil a few spoons of coffee grounds in a pot with a cup or two of water. Boil it until there's only a tiny bit of liquid left, super-concentrated coffee.
2. Let it cool down. Filter it out (I poured it in my French press and just used that).
3. Mix it in a bowl with a package of "full-fat" travoh (quark, or you could use yogurt if that's not available in your area). It has to be as thick as possible, with minimal liquid. If you're using yogurt, try to strain most of the liquid out first.
4. Stir in a couple spoons of honey.
5. Pack it into popsicle molds (I used a set of Ikea ones, they're very cheap and work well).

Leave it for a few hours (or overnight) and enjoy for breakfast on a hot summer's day. I just had one and it was heavenly. Worth the lactose complications...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:50 am »

I learned that you can make Vanilla Coke by taking normal Coca-Cola and adding a few drops of vanilla extract to it. Does that count for this thread?

I guess you could hollow out a potato and add meat and cheese or something, then bake/roast it.
Twice-baked potatoes are pretty good.
My mom made stuffed bell peppers once, and they were so stuffed I couldn't finish one.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:00 am »

Yeah, I loves me some twice-baked potato, stuffed with cheese and peppers and whatever else.
I should learn to cook them.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »

Speaking of putting delicious things into other delicious things, recipe for onigiri.

I'm not sure if I can pick up the bonito and nori at the local supermarket(who knows, probably I can), but I might be able to omit them from the recipe if I have to.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 04, 2014, 03:40:01 am »

Speaking of putting delicious things into other delicious things, recipe for onigiri.

I'm not sure if I can pick up the bonito and nori at the local supermarket(who knows, probably I can), but I might be able to omit them from the recipe if I have to.

Not sure where you live, but here in aus, most supermarkets have the nori sheets in the asian food section. Bonito would require a trip to an asian grocery store though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 04, 2014, 10:47:53 am »

I suppose I could substitute the bonito with mincemeat, or just about anything else to fill it with.

EDIT: Nooo! I only have long grain rice at home. Rice balls don't work with long grain! I needed to go shopping anyways.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:40:10 pm by Akura »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 07, 2014, 04:42:45 am »

Ahh wait, I was getting bonito confused; you want the actual meat, whereas I was thinking of katsuobushi, which is a dried, fermented block of bonito or skipjack that is subsequently shaved and used as a garnish, sort of like parmesan in Italian cuisine. Should be able to find bonito or a similar fish (e.g. skipjack tuna) at any decent fishmonger's.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:15 am »

Almost done making Kimchi soup for the first time. Gosu or Hasu, Chobo or Bonjwa, only time will tell.

~800 grams of Kimchi
~250 grams of pork
~350 grams of firm tofu
half a green onion
some sesame oil

Spoiler: not as big a picture (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Made the picture smaller.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:51:25 am by Aptus »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 07, 2014, 10:51:25 am »

Almost done making Kimchi soup for the first time. Gosu or Hasu, Chobo or Bonjwa, only time will tell.

~800 grams of Kimchi
~250 grams of pork
~350 grams of firm tofu
half a green onion
some sesame oil

Spoiler: big picture (click to show/hide)

Looks awesome. If I can't simply buy Kimchi, what's in it? Cabbage, vinegar, chilli?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 07, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

Apparently, fermented Stuff. Probably cabbage in this case.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:40 am »

Yeah it is basically fermented cabbage mixed together with chile and garlic, fish sauce and some other stuff.

You can find recipes online pretty easily, it is not hard to make, but it does take a long time. The stuff will be fermenting for over a week.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:43 am »

Yeah it is basically fermented cabbage mixed together with chile and garlic, fish sauce and some other stuff.

You can find recipes online pretty easily, it is not hard to make, but it does take a long time. The stuff will be fermenting for over a week.

Which reminds me, there is a Soviet-bloc dish directly inspired by kimchi using (fresh) carrots. It is delicious, but sadly not commercially available anywhere west of Ukraine, apparently, but it seems pretty easy to make at home.

It's shredded carrots, onion, garlic, black pepper, sugar (optional), salt, coriander, chilli, vinegar and cottonseed oil (or any other vegetable oil, if need be). I need to make it some time.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 334