Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550342 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1440 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:40 pm »

Pff, you elves people and your leaf-water. Regular water's good enough for me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:43 am »

Or I just Picard.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1442 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:25 am »

I ferment my tea after the dwarfish fashion.

No, seriously. I make kombucha. Actually, I make more than I can drink... During the school year I give bottles of it to my coworkers, but right now I have to drink it all myself. I'm having to pour some of it down the drain because I just can't drink it all. It's a tragedy.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 29, 2014, 05:27:19 am »

Some awesome stuff in here lately. :)
@Japa: I'll totally come visit you once you get that dosa recipe down pat. I lurves me some dosa(s?).
Also, this chifir stuff sounds insane. As someone who never gets a caffeine high from drinks any more, I'd be interested in trying it one day even if it does sound a bit horrible.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1444 on: July 29, 2014, 09:02:03 am »

Roasted mixed vegetables are quickly becoming one of my favourite foods. Sooo delicious.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:01 am »

Not my own exploits, but Alton Brown's youtube channel is full of very amusing, light, and short videos on various standard and oddball cooking topics. 10/10 worth watching.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:22 am »

Not my own exploits, but Alton Brown's youtube channel is full of very amusing, light, and short videos on various standard and oddball cooking topics. 10/10 worth watching.
Dat grilled grilled cheese sandwich O_O
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »

Kombucha scares me.

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:17 pm »

Kombucha scares me.
What is it? It sounds scary.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 29, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

From what I've read, it's fizzy mushroom tea.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 29, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »

Look five posts up from mine.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1451 on: July 30, 2014, 01:04:48 am »

Kombucha is slightly fermented tea. It's very tasty and also extremely healthy. It's made with a yeast culture that ONLY feeds on tea (and dies without it). The culture looks like a mushroom but it's actually yeast (it's called a scoby, though brewers often refer to it as a mushroom). What you do is make a big batch of green tea (or black, but green tastes nicer) with a lot of sugar in it. You let it cool to room temperature (heat kills the scoby) and put it in a big jar with the yeast culture. Then you cover it with a cloth and put it out of the way for about a week. Then you set the scoby aside, bottle the newly-made kombucha (I put in fresh ginger at this point and leave it in the bottle until it gets fizzy).

The yeast digests the sugar and tea. The result is something very healthy. Tea has lots of Good Stuff in it, but our bodies can only absorb a little bit. After it's fermented by this culture, our bodies can absorb ALL the good stuff in the tea. There is also a tiny bit of alcohol, but it's something like 0.05%, so it's not considered an alcoholic beverage. You can keep fermenting it until it's alcoholic, but it would taste like vinegar then.

The problem with kombucha is it became a sort of health food craze at one point and health food stores started selling it in bottles. Do NOT buy this crap. Kombucha is healthy because of the live yeast in it. But if you leave a bottle of kombucha on a shelf, it will keep fermenting. After too many days (maybe 5-7), it starts to taste like vinegar and turn alcoholic. For this reason, all the "kombucha" you see in stores is pasteurized. Pasteurization kills all the yeast so it doesn't ferment anymore, thereby removing all the healthy stuff in the drink. It also changes the taste, so the stuff you would buy in a store usually tastes very yeasty, like bread. It's disgusting.

If you want to try actual kombucha, you have to find someone who makes it. Usually they make more than they can drink (you have to be continually making more or the scoby dies) and will be happy to give you some. Also, the scoby is always growing, and you have to split it now and then or it gets too thick. If you can find someone who makes kombucha, I guarantee they will be happy to give you a spare culture and you can make your own.

It's delicious, really. Especially with ginger in it. Mmmmmmmmm.

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »

anyone here ever try green chile in a sandwich? It tastes good if use the right ingredients with it.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 30, 2014, 04:40:55 pm »

Does anyone know any good kinds of fruit soups that don't have tomatoes?  Preferable healthy and easy to make, but at this point I would just settle for enlarging the pool of things I eat.  Everything I can find on google regarding something that I might find interesting is a video, which with my internet I can't watch right now.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »

Why a fruit soup, specifically?
For soups in general, I suggest either some variety of cabbage with potatoes or lentils.

Mmmmh, lentils.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 334