Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550791 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1320 on: July 01, 2014, 10:39:31 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:53:09 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »

Nothing I do is light. I weigh two Vectors, and stand almost four inches shorter, IIRC.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 02, 2014, 03:04:35 am »

Is Vector a standard unit of measurement now?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 02, 2014, 04:20:54 am »

Is Vector a standard unit of measurement now?

Technically? yes...

But not the way it is being used.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 02, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »

I am six feet tall, weigh 191lb and have almost no fat on my frame. How or why this happens is beyond me, as I tend to eat pretty much everything and in large quantities. For breakfast, though, I prefer quark cheese with sour cream and varenye or honey. My dad also likes to add cereal on top of that, but I've never been a fan of it myself.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »

Quark cheese? Is that anything like Boson cheese?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:12 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1327 on: July 03, 2014, 02:37:25 am »

Muon cheese. Mu... on. Mooon.

Mooon cheese.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:15 am »

I'm starting to get excited because I found a recipe for homemade ice cream that I want to make and looks within my ability. (I only intend to make the ice cream part of that, not the rest of it)

Question, when they say "vanilla" in that recipe, do they mean that dark-colored stuff that smells fantastic(typically called "extract", often imitation), or am I heading for a serious disaster here?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 03, 2014, 10:58:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:50:47 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 03, 2014, 10:59:41 am »

I'm starting to get excited because I found a recipe for homemade ice cream that I want to make and looks within my ability. (I only intend to make the ice cream part of that, not the rest of it)

Question, when they say "vanilla" in that recipe, do they mean that dark-colored stuff that smells fantastic(typically called "extract", often imitation), or am I heading for a serious disaster here?

In almost any recipe you'll be using vanilla extract. It will specifically refer to vanilla beans if that's what you're supposed to use.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 03, 2014, 11:57:28 am »

Vanilla beans? I think you mean Tonka beans, which are quite different from vanilla. Actual vanilla comes as pods, which you slice open to get the pith. The used pods you can use to make vanilla-flavored sugar - just put them in the sugar's container for a couple of months.
EDIT: English is weird - why would anyone call the pods beans? They look nothing like beans.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 03, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »

Well, green beans are beans despite being in pods? I don't know honestly, most likely because it looks like a bean pod (as Wikipedia also mentions under Beans), and a lot of the English language developed through use and colloquialisms, often by people who didn't quite know what they were talking about.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 03, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »

Yeah, the pods look kind of like bean pods apparently? English does a lot of stupid things. We called a plant beefsteak, for godsakes.

Also, next time any of you lot make omelettes, put a bit of lime juice in with the eggs when you whisk them. It's amazing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 03, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »

Also, next time any of you lot make omelettes, put a bit of lime juice in with the eggs when you whisk them. It's amazing.

Oooooh, that does sound good!  Will try this the next time I make an omelette.  Does the acid cause the eggs to curdle at all while whisking them?

Here's what I made a few nights ago.  I used to hate spinach as a kid, but Indian food turned it into a favorite :).

Saag Chole / Chana Palak (Spinach and Chickpea Curry)

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 334