Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550363 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Arguing Soumantics
« Reply #1260 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:13 am »

Protip: Parsnips are typically sold covered in wax. You will either need to peel them, boil them briefly to get the wax to melt off, or be okay with what paraffin does to the texture of your meals (which is vaguely similar to butter with no nutrition or taste). Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on >______>
What? I could literally go to a grocery store right now and buy a cartload of non-wax-coated parsnips. I could also eat them with the skins on in much the same was as carrots or potatoes or yams or whatever. Where do you live that treats vegetables like cheese?
Apparently the Midwest is weird about this? Good to know.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1261 on: June 20, 2014, 02:09:27 am »

Parsnips are delicious. I use them all the time. Also, parsley root is delicious. I bought it by accident the first time because I thought it was a parsnip. Turns out, parsley root is a hugely popular vegetable in this part of the world. Mmmmm.

As for sweet potatoes, I have but one thing to say: Sweet Potato Fries.

Regarding dripping grease, I wouldn't have a problem with it except for the fact that the amount of grease is directly proportional to the speed with which I must run to the toilet after eating (or even before I finish my meal, if it's super-greasy).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:58 am »

Also, fries don't have to be greasy. Either bake them or deep fry them at 325 or higher, and they shouldn't be greasy at all.

They tend to be soggy around here... but that is because the person who cooks them piles them...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 20, 2014, 03:30:49 am »

I don't really like grease. Or any fats not mixed with other stuff. It's not about the taste, it's about the feeling on my palate as something fat touches it, especially if it's semi-solid, like butter or mayo.

@Sappho - it's only natural - fat is the biological equivalent of Drano in large enough quantities.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 20, 2014, 06:33:09 am »

I'm on the 'dripping grease depends on the food' train. Some things are meant to (bacon) and some things aren't (pizza).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 20, 2014, 06:37:43 am »

I'm on the 'dripping grease depends on the food' train. Some things are meant to (bacon) and some things aren't (pizza).

But bacon is the best when you turn it into a delicious meaty chip!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:26 am »

If my pizza doesn't drip grease, something's wrong with it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

Regarding dripping grease, I wouldn't have a problem with it except for the fact that the amount of grease is directly proportional to the speed with which I must run to the toilet after eating (or even before I finish my meal, if it's super-greasy).

Grease: Natural Teflon-coating for your intestinal tract.

Also, sweet potato fries are good as long as they're not overcooked.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:20 am »

Ugh, nothing worse than soggy pizza crust.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 20, 2014, 10:37:06 am »

Dry, crispy pizza crust. Checkmate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:44 am »

I'd much rather have this than soggy crust.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:28 am »

I'd much rather have this than soggy crust.
Ya, it could be burnt black and I'd still be happier with it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:54 am »

You mean St. Louis-style pizza? Actually, there are several regional styles that use a cracker-like crust.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:34 pm »

Monsters, all of you.

Mind you, I don't actually like the crust soggy. Typically what you get is grease pooled on top of the cheese or on toppings (such as pepperoni), which runs off in the process of eating. But the crust had best be chewy and soft, that's for sure.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:01 pm »

I am just wondering

Since when I was younger I didn't mind grease that much.

But now I have a sensitive stomach for it. I don't even like the dripping grease from baked chicken when you start removing the skin.

Yet a lot of food has a lot of grease and I am unsure if how I am feeling now is more normal... or less.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:17:17 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 334