Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552594 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1095 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07:01 am »

Any idea if this would work with soy milk or any other non-dairy equivalent, for us lactose intolerants?
I have no idea about soy milk - never tried it in my life. Trust Arx. It will work with water, though, but the taste isn't as good.
Soy milk works, but makes the resultant caramel taste very bland and unappetizing. You are better off using water.
What about butter?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:31 am »

Any idea if this would work with soy milk or any other non-dairy equivalent, for us lactose intolerants?
I have no idea about soy milk - never tried it in my life. Trust Arx. It will work with water, though, but the taste isn't as good.
Soy milk works, but makes the resultant caramel taste very bland and unappetizing. You are better off using water.
What about butter?
Never tried that, but the result will probably be to oily to stomach, seeing how cream makes it filled with fat already.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »

What about butter?
Never tried that, but the result will probably be to oily to stomach, seeing how cream makes it filled with fat already.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know the answer to this one--where there is lactose intolerance, you can usually substitute coconut milk!  Almond milk can also work, but it is not very thick. 
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:14 pm »

What about butter?

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know the answer to this one--where there is lactose intolerance, you can usually substitute coconut milk!  Almond milk can also work, but it is not very thick.
I cook with almond milk all the time. i actually prefer it to all the other non-dairy options out there (soy, rice, coconut). Coconut milk ice cream is good though -- sort of has the consistency of thick marshmellow fluff.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1099 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:14 am »

You guys are now making me sad that I have a diabetic sister and can make neither fudge nor caramel.

Instead I made carbonara!

YMMV, past performance does not guarantee future performance, etcetera. It met with approval from the test sample.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 18, 2014, 11:05:06 pm »

Dear lord, that was worth the 4 hours baking time.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:19 pm »

Does it taste like Skittles?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:02 pm »

Oh god that's beautiful! How did you do it?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2014, 11:42:21 pm »

Unfortunately not.

Oh god that's beautiful! How did you do it?
Made a normal cheesecake recipe, foodcolored 4 separate bowls of the batter, poured in 1 at a time. It was actually surprisingly easy.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1104 on: April 19, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

Oh my god that is glorious.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:52 pm »

Made a pie using a ready-to-use poppy seed pie filling. Not entirely sure what I was doing, I also added some pecans and drizzled some chocolate syrup on top the moment I took it out of the oven.

Fed a slice to the girl I'm in love with. She said it was "okay", but I'm not sure if that was good or bad "okay". I myself thought it was a bit oversweet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »

Made a pie using a ready-to-use poppy seed pie filling. Not entirely sure what I was doing, I also added some pecans and drizzled some chocolate syrup on top the moment I took it out of the oven.

Fed a slice to the girl I'm in love with. She said it was "okay", but I'm not sure if that was good or bad "okay". I myself thought it was a bit oversweet.

[Insert joke about poppy and opiates]
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 21, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »

You have to make tea from them for that. I've heard it works surprisingly well, but it apparently varies from brand to brand. I might try it out sometime.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 21, 2014, 05:57:40 pm »

You have to make tea from them for that. I've heard it works surprisingly well, but it apparently varies from brand to brand. I might try it out sometime.
I am surprised forums like that aren't shut down.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »

You'd be surprised what other forums don't get shut down... Bluelight is a very valuable harm reduction-oriented forum, and it may have kept a few friends of mine from trying some rather stupid stuff; it promotes responsible (to a degree) and safe (as much as reasonably possible) drug use. Erowid - not a forum, but a site for similar stuff - is even better in this regard.
However, there are... other sorts of forums. Especially worrying (from a prohibitionist's perspective) are the various chemistry forums. The largest of them was The Hive, which got shut down in the early 2000's. Mirrors still exist, though, and it has left behind among internet drug cooks the habit of using bee metaphors. (Meth-)Amphetamine, for example, is sometimes referred to as honey. Other forums like that are still around, and even though they're small and largely inactive, you'd be surprised what information can be had there. These are people with a very clear goal, and they are very determined and surprisingly inventive. It's mostly due to the stupidity (or economic genre savvy) of actual large-scale drug producers that the drug situation isn't much worse.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 334