Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552631 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1065 on: April 05, 2014, 11:35:33 am »

I've got a really old sandwich toaster (I wouldn't be far off if I said it's almost as old as me)
My non-electric sandwich toaster used to belong to my grandparents. I am not impressed. Unless you're a really old gramps.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:33 pm »

So, I made a curryish kinda sorta thing I guess? don't judge me...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 05, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »

I'd eat it. What's that white stuff on top of it?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 05, 2014, 01:06:36 pm »

Coconut.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 05, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »

Coconut.
Whoa. I don't know much about curry really - is that usual? And what else do you have in there?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 05, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »

Coconut.
Whoa. I don't know much about curry really - is that usual? And what else do you have in there?

I don't know much either xD. There's red bell peppers, carrot, garlic and onion slightly fried on olive oil, sultanas, powdered ginger and some store-bought sauce (yoghurt, cream and tomato paste with spices, going by the ingredients). Well, and coconut. I also added some sugar later on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 05, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

Wierdly appealing :D

Also the burgers were kinda ok, I guess, the first two felt undercooked, or it might have been the different meat that made it feel strange and soft, but not bad tasting, just the texture was wierd. So the second ones were left to fry for longer and one side kinda burned, but it wasn't a bad kind of burn that ruins the taste, this was more like this crispy thick layer on one side of the meat that didn't have much impact on taste.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1072 on: April 05, 2014, 02:05:53 pm »

Wow. I'm eating the most delicious dinner I've made in ages. I looked up the recipe for Buddha's Delight (inspired by someone who posted a beautiful set of photos of theirs a while back, sorry, I'm too lazy to look back and remember who it was). Anyway, Buddha's Delight includes a lot of ingredients I don't have, so I just took inspiration from it and made this.

In a small pot, sautee a bit of shredded ginger, chopped leek, chopped fresh spring onions (I have some growing in my kitchen at all times so the flavor is very strong) in a little sesame oil. After about a minute, throw in cubed tofu, after a few more seconds add rice noodles and a little water plus a bit of soy sauce. Boil, let the rice noodles get soft, cover so they don't dry out.

In wok, sautee in sesame oil: diagonally sliced carrots, very thinly sliced ginger, zucchini sliced thin lengthwise (half the vegetable), cubed pre-salted eggplant, red and white peppers sliced lengthwise, mushrooms cut into large chunks, red onion cut into large pieces, sliced leek, lots more of the fresh chopped spring onions, a sliced chili pepper, and a handful of wild garlic leaves.

Dump the noodles and tofu in once the veggies are fairly soft, mix, eat. Die of flavor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 06, 2014, 11:22:44 am »

Spoiler: I made a cake (click to show/hide)

It was for my sister's birthday, which was yesterday. Lemon cake with cream cheese frosting, plus those pecans and cherries decorating it. When I got home after buying the stuff to make it, I called my parents and found that they had ordered a cake and were picking it up from the grocery store. That cake was and overpriced cheap vanilla cake with far more frosting than cake. I couldn't even finish a slice of the store-bought cake because of all the frosting.

Making it was fun, except the eggs. For some reason, I couldn't crack them against the side of the bowl, not without slamming it hard enough to explode the egg, so I had to smack it hard with my knuckle. Invariably, this got chicken abortion all over my hands.

The cake certainly was more popular than the store-bought cake.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1074 on: April 06, 2014, 11:35:24 am »

They are NOT chicken abortions. They are chicken PERIODS. Unless you're cooking with fertilized eggs... :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 06, 2014, 11:40:49 am »

My mistake. (,_,)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1076 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:19 am »

My mistake. (,_,)

Accept your mistakes. Learn from them. This is the road to self-improvement. You are forgiven. None of us is perfect. Not even me. (Please, contain your surprise.)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 06, 2014, 12:19:47 pm »

Man, there is such a huge difference between what I know as curry from growing up in India, and what people call curry abroad. It's weird.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1078 on: April 06, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »

Does anyone have any tips on cooking eggplant with other veggies in oil without it soaking up all the oil?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »

My usual strategy is rinse, salt, rinse, cook. Not entirely sure why this works, but it seems to reduce the amount it of oil soaks up.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 334