Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550178 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4935 on: March 19, 2023, 12:32:07 am »

Made some Focaccia. Took two attempts. The first aborted attempt we turned into breadsticks.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: March 19, 2023, 12:33:46 am »

If yer gonnae put tomatoes on bread you might as well make pizza.

Aside from that, it does look really good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: March 19, 2023, 04:12:20 am »

The tomatoes were my brother's wife's call. Not my first pick.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:16:30 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: March 19, 2023, 04:21:36 am »

I didn't feel like another day of pasta in a row the other day so I put the leftover tomato sauce on a knäckebröd with some cheese and made knäckepizza
Love, scriver~

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: March 25, 2023, 05:29:40 am »

It's a shame that Ethiopian cuisine's primary claim to fame is being the punchline to jokes about famine, because the food is actually pretty good. Lent has been taking its toll on me and making me crave meat. I think as soon as Easter arrives I'll try to make some gored gored. It probably won't be as good as what you'd get at a restaurant, but as long as the meat and spices are decent I think it will be a satisfying dish.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: March 25, 2023, 08:10:26 pm »

I've only had passing exposure to Ethiopian food, but I really liked what I had.  Can't really remember what it was even called now since I've eaten a few different things, but just even the way of eating some of it with injera bread is pretty cool.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: April 08, 2023, 03:07:26 am »

I made another stew!  Housemate(s) had my instapot for a bit, but they gave it back clean.

This stew was:
-carrots

Sorry, I mean, this stew was:
beef
coarse-sliced potato wedges
onion.  yeah, just one.  didn't want to bother the people with noses
green lentils
oats

The oats utterly dissolved, as usual.  The potatoes are delicious.  The beef... mmn, the beef.  It made a nice stock, even though I technically triggered the overheat warning and this shit never got up to pressure, hehe... it cooked plenty.
The lentils are mush.  And I precooked the beef by itself (with salt and curry+turmeric) because of peer pressure

OH YEAH seasonings: More turmeric, a little chili power, a dash of salt, and dose of chili powder.
Result: Much better with table salt (IT'S CALLED THAT FOR A REASON), and hot sauce to taste.     (LOTS)

Edit:
Housemate: "Oh what did you make?  ... ... .. Sounds healthy!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it!"
Gods above he's kind. He makes mouthwatering curries.

And I am absolutely enjoying it <3
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 03:12:17 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: April 20, 2023, 01:48:03 pm »

Made jollof rice for the first time. It was really good! I never cooked any african food before really.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: April 26, 2023, 05:11:02 pm »

For the first time in my life, I have consumed what is basically just... peanut butter. Plain peanut butter, no added sugar, no added salt, etc.

It's, uh. It's good? It reminds me of unfiltered apple juice, that just tastes like, well. Liquid apple, distinctly different from normal apple juice. This stuff is just peanuts turned into a spread, it tastes like peanuts first and foremost. The PB itself is maybe a little worse to eat straight -- the texture's a bit different and loses out by a smidge to the more prolific stuff -- but it makes for an even better PB (and honey+cinnamon, this time) sammich. Still can taste the PB, and the lack of added sugar and whatnot brings out the other bits more, it's nice.

... downside to it is it's around twice as expensive per ounce, because anyone interested in something less salty can go screw themselves, but still. First impression is positive. Second impression after it's been in a fridge (few to no added preservatives, etc.) for a while is in question, but I'll get to that when I get to it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: April 26, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »

Once you've had peanut butter without all the added sugar, yeah. You realize you don't actually miss it and its absence doesn't actually detract from the flavor of it.

My only complaint with "natural" peanut butters is the amount of oil/solid separation that happens. Highly processed peanut butters use all sorts of binders and stuff to prevent it from happening. Not a big deal, just stir it before you use it (much like sour cream and excess moisture.) Still, if you're coming from regular mass market peanut butter, it can be slightly off putting.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: May 10, 2023, 07:24:58 am »

One of the eternally nice things about cooking, is sometimes you get to have yourself a breakfast of something you can reasonably call "Not biscuits and sorta' gravy". Sorta' gravy I think I've mentioned before, it's... well, it's gravy but not made super well? So it's not quite done correctly, i.e. it's sorta' gravy. Still tastes and eats just fine, it's just a bit less impressive than gravy done right.

Not!biscuits, in this case, is just normal toast :V

It's a very lazy breakfast (the sorta' gravy was leftovers from yesterday's sorta' poutine, which was the effectively-cheeseburger-gravy lathered over french fries), but I get to call it notbiscuits and sortagravy, and that's wonderful :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: May 16, 2023, 01:37:19 pm »

One side benefit of my job is that sometimes there is product that the customers, for whatever reason, do not want. When this happens, and if the original shipper doesn't want it back, the product still needs to be disposed of in some fashion. Oftentimes the product is damaged and unsuitable for anything except a dumpster, but other times it is still intact and could be used. When this occurs, it is usually dropped off at the office and employees can take it away for their own use.

So anyway, that's how I came into possession of like 20 loaves of frozen bread dough. I have no real clue what I'll do with it, and I'm looking for ideas. It definitely needs to be baked before consumption, at the very least, but I've never messed around with frozen dough much.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: May 16, 2023, 04:01:43 pm »

Make hard tack *clack clack*

It depends on what kind (wholegrain, rye, sourdough, flat, with yeast etc) it is. The classic answer would be to just add cheese to the dough and bake it. Something like feta is usually great, at least for white flour breads.

In a similar vein, you could always try to use it as "pizza dough" or for sausage rolls. Maybe with some kind of onion sauce if you go for the sausage.

And if you are in a more experimental mood, you could try adding small dough bits to boil in a stew (sort of like pasta) or even fry them and then drench them with honey and spices (black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon etc) for desert.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: May 16, 2023, 04:10:38 pm »

Make hard tack *clack clack*

If you know, you know.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: May 16, 2023, 05:33:21 pm »

It's supposed to be Italian bread, and it's already loaf-shaped rather than in big dough balls. My assumption is that it was intended for Subway or some other sandwich shop, but I have zero way of knowing this for sure.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 334