Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 557347 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3960 on: August 26, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »

Which, to me, is pretty much any at all. "Salad garnish" isn't supposed to overwhelm everything in the goddamn salad when you eat a piece as large as some chopped onion.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:39:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: August 26, 2018, 03:40:57 pm »

Which, to me, is pretty much any at all. "Salad garnish" isn't supposed to overwhelm everything in the goddamn salad when you eat a piece as larger as some chopped onion.
Fennel root can make some rockin' soups though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: August 27, 2018, 06:03:48 am »

Made up another recipe that worked out very well. Sour-Sweet chicken and rice.

Ingredients (for 2 persons):
500g chicken wings
cooking oil (sunflower oil, not olive oil)
2 limes (fresh ones, they shouldn't be old and dried out, you're gonna need the juice)
fresh ginger root, about 2cm
2 cloves of garlic
sweet soy sauce (ketjap manis)
ground red peppers (sambal oelek)
coriander seed powder (ketoembar)
sesame seeds
1 courgette
2 sweet onions
some maizena
Basmati rice (long grained, tasty rice from the Himalayas)

Step 1: Making a marinade
Use a lemon/lime rasp to grind the skin of the limes, put the lime skin rasp in a bowl.
Press the limes, and add the lime juice.
Take the skin off te ginger and cut up the ginger a bit.
Use a garlic press on the ginger, and add it to the bowl. Watch out, press it in something that is a bit deep, because it's tougher to press than garlic there will be goo flying around haha)
Use the garlic press on the garlic and add it as well.
Add two teaspoons of sambal oelek, 1 teaspoon of coriander seed powder.
Add 3 spoons of sweet soy sauce, and 2 spoons of oil.

Step 2 Marinading the chicken
Put the marinade and the chicken in a sealable plastic bag, and put it in the fridge for at least 2, prefereably more hours.
It can't hurt to turn the bag it to it's other side once every hour so the marinade gets to every bit of the chicken wings

Step 3 Cooking the foods
First, cut everything that needs cutting, which in this case is only two things. Cut the courgette into slices of about 1cm thick, chop up the onions
Now start with cooking the Basmati rice. For 2 people, use 2 teacups of rice and 2 teacups of water (the same teacup, dimension matters).
Add a pinch of salt. Once the water is boiling, turn down the flame to low, and turn it off after 12 minutes. Leave the rice in the pan for a while longer. No problem if it cools down a bit, we're going to fry it later.

Next, take the chicken out of the marinade, and wipe off any excess marinade left on it. Do not throw away the marinade, it's gonna be used to make sauce.
Put the chicken wings in a frying pan on half high flame, with the skin facing down.
After about 4 minutes, the skin should be crispy enough. Now turn the chicken wings to their other side, turn down the flame to low, and put a lid on the pan.
Depending on the chicken wing's size, it will take between 10 and 15 minutes now until they are done. You can see they're done when the meat on the inside isn't pinkish anymore, but white.
At about the same time, when you have turned the chicken wings to their other side, put a wok on a high flame, and add some oil.
When the oil is hot, add onions, and stirfry them until they start to smell sweet.
Now add the courgette slices. Keep stirring.
When the courgettes are about done, add a crapload of sesame seeds, stir a few times more, then add the Basmati rice (usea fork if nescessary to loosen up the rice frist).
Stirfry the whole to make the rice just a bit crisp, and it's done.
Right about now, the chicken should be good too. Take the chicken out of the frying pan, then put the leftover marinade in the same frying pan.
Fry it for about a minute, then add about 350ml of cold water. When it boils, add a little maizena, to bind it into a nice smooth sauce (needs to boil for a minute or two).
Serve the rice and chicken separately from each other. Put the sauce over the chicken.

Step 4
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:13:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: August 27, 2018, 10:26:20 am »

The only time I've had it my brother rough chopped it and put it in a salad. One mouthful was enough to make me nope that shit right out of my viable ingredient list. Just way too tangy/tart for my palette.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: August 30, 2018, 03:58:33 am »

I have learned yet again that Rooster brand is the only acceptable sriracha. All other brands are just poor imitations.

EDIT (Latin, anyone?): I'm not entirely sure which ones did it, but there were clearly some gods smiling on my misadventures tonight. I was planning on putting together a large pot of rice for various rice-related purposes, but somehow managed to completely fuck up the calculations. It's brown rice, so just a 1:2 rice-water ratio, right? Well, I figured I could cook up 2.5 cups of rice when I was first doing such things, but my brain farted and I only added 3 cups of water... I'm guessing my mind was solving for 1.5 cups of rice instead of 2.5, because y'know... That's the only number with a .5 at the end of it.

Miraculously, it turned out fine. Sure, it's a little dry, but no worse than the previous times I've cooked up this rice (I think this particular cooking technique might be a bit prone to such). Definitely not as fucked up as one would expect from "I only put in 60% of the water, wahey!"

No special dishes planned, I just wanted some go-to rice for doctoring with either hot mango pickle or soy sauce/sesame oil. Turkish shop apparently didn't have toasted sesame oil, but eh... What can you do?

Most of my diet consists of "things I don't need to think about", because thinking is hard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:48 am »

I find it so hard to decide between tomato and barbecue sauce for use on my sausage roll that I have taken to covering it half-and-half with each.
Why am I like this??

In other food-related news, I am proud of myself for attempting to ration my pringles just now. Just... dumped some into a tiny bowl, rather than taking the whole tube with me. Sure, I'll probably make at least a few more trips out to the kitchen in the near future, but at least I tried!
Not worried about my weight or health or anything. It's just that I invariably eat all my snacks in one fell swoop and end up with no snacks left to snack on. :c
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: September 13, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »

Today I made a tasty paella with shrimpies.
It's quick, and it's easy
Ingredients:
1 leek
1 onion
1 small tin (250g) of black beans
1 yellow courgette
100g of small (Dutch / northsea) shrimpies (peeled and boiled)
200g of large (mediterranean) shrimpies (peeled and boiled)
3 cloves of garlic
a whiff of clove
a teaspoon of kurkuma (or a few threads of saffron if you can afford that)
a teaspoon of paprika powder
a few grindings of black pepper
two teaspoons of dried rosemary
a little salt

First things first, cut the onion, leek and yellow courgette.
Boil the rice with the kurkuma / saffron
When the rice is ready to be put off the fire, put some oil in a frying pan / wok
First add the onion and leek, fry them on a high flame for about 2 minutes
then add the clove, black pepper, salt, rosemary, and the yellow courgette, fry it until it becomes a little soft (about 3 minutes)
Now add the black beans and the large shrimpies.
Fry for another 3 minutes.
Add paprika powder, garlic (pressed) and small shrimpies, fry for another 2 minutes
Finally add the rice and fry the whole for another minute or two.
Make sure that at all steps of frying, you keep stirring it around.
Done.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:53:17 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:12 pm »

I find it so hard to decide between tomato and barbecue sauce for use on my sausage roll that I have taken to covering it half-and-half with each.
Why am I like this??

Because you haven't discovered HP sauce on sausage rolls I'm guessing?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:27 am »

Why am I like this??

Hmm, it tastes like Worcestershire (thank you, squiggly red line) sauce, right? I remember trying that years ago and... strongly disliking it.
I should probably give HP sauce a shot!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:01 am »

Hmm, it tastes like Worcestershire (thank you, squiggly red line) sauce, right? I remember trying that years ago and... strongly disliking it.
I should probably give HP sauce a shot!
Sounds like it's closer to A1.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: September 15, 2018, 07:04:46 am »

HP sauce is HP sauce. It is made of brown.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:31 pm »

Nah, A1 steak sauce tastes kinda sorta like brown sauce.

It is unfortunately incredibly runny, even the “thick and hearty” variety. It is sad, but unfortunately the lack of actual brown sauce in rural Wisconsin means I have no other choice :'(

Also, I am considering becoming a pescatarian, so I guess PTW so I can ask silly questions.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: September 17, 2018, 02:10:26 am »

Steak sauce is an insult to both steak and sauce to be honest.
Nah, A1 steak sauce tastes kinda sorta like brown sauce.

It is unfortunately incredibly runny, even the “thick and hearty” variety. It is sad, but unfortunately the lack of actual brown sauce in rural Wisconsin means I have no other choice :'(

Also, I am considering becoming a pescatarian, so I guess PTW so I can ask silly questions.
For health reasons or ethical? Because ecologically speaking, it's way better to just eat chicken.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:26 am »

Ethical, mostly. Ecologically I need to be a bit more on the ball, and I’m not entirely sure what labels to look for. The Marine Stewardship Council seems to be a big one, but they also have come in for criticism from various science and environmental groups for not being particularly great about giving the rubber stamp to folk while not looking beyond impact on the specific species that get fished, or if there isn’t a great deal of knowledge on the types of fish being farmed.

My slow search continues.

Edit: the ethical thing also means I’m unsure about eggs and dairy. Eggs I can avoid (though free range is alright..?) but dairy is more of an issue for avoiding in Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:00:32 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: September 17, 2018, 09:17:47 am »

Seafood is a mine field of bad shit, unfortunately. Even farm raised fish are starting to have problems because of overcrowding, leading to disease and ecological contamination from so many fish in one spot. Not to mention the food they feed them has a bunch of toxic shit in it which makes its way in to your body. And with regular commercial fishing you get all the badness that comes from open waters, particularly in Europe.

Basically there is no truly safe or truly ecologically friendly meat, unless you're watching the producers raise it on a small, controlled scale. Just going to the grocery store there is no telling what you're getting.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 334