Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556589 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3810 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »

I don't have pictures because I devoured it so fast, but I just made eggs in a basket for the first time and holy shit were the good!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:29 pm »

I meant vegetarian, yeah, not vegan. I find that it's harder for vegetables-based food to be unhealthy, so I figured it would be easier to just ear tasty veggies instead of trying to figure out which paleo dish is actually edible and which is just eating raw ingredients.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 01, 2017, 04:42:32 am »

Make spanakopita. It's filo pastry, spinach, feta, some olive oil. Combine into small parcels and put in the oven or make a layer thing. It's the best.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:00 am »

Make spanakopita. It's filo pastry, spinach, feta, some olive oil. Combine into small parcels and put in the oven or make a layer thing. It's the best.

I second this, spanakopita is super easy and ridiculously good.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 01, 2017, 11:23:34 am »

Spinach and Olive Oyl? Popeye approves.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 01, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »

I created ultra-brownies today. (No, does not contain the Colorado Secret Ingredient.)

Giardhelli boxed brownie mix, 2 boxes.
4 bars of hershey special dark chocolate
hershey chocolate syrup
2 sticks of butter
splash of vanilla
eggs
milk.

The box's directions produce fudge like brownies. That is fine and dandy and all, but I wanted more variety.  Here is what I did:

1) first layer of the brownie was made according to directions, but instead of 1/3cup vegetable oil, was created with 1/3 cup butter, and instead of 1/4cup water, made with 1/4 cup milk. Added splash of vanilla.  This layer produced fudge like brownie, as expected.

2) Second layer was experimental kitchen creation of 4 melted hershey special dark chocolate bars, mixed with ~1/4 cup of Hershey original chocolate syrup, mixed together very quickly while hot.  The mixture cools and stays semi-liquid, due to the syrup.  This mixture was re-heated and gently drizzled in a lattice pattern over the fudge-like layer.

3) Despite the box's insistence that you need to reduce the fluid content of the mix if you add additional eggs for "thicker" brownies, I elected for "cake like", even if the box has no directions for it.  From experience, cake like brownie needs the normal liquid complement, and 2 eggs.  Made the same as the fudge like layer, but with 2 eggs added instead.  Poured over the top of the hershey lattice, and shook to level.

The pan was buttered, and then sprinkled with chocolate pudding mix.

Brownies were baked in 325F preheated oven for ~46 minutes. Cooked up lovely.  Perfect combination of moisture, textures, and extreme chocolate flavor.   Very nice.

I love the Ghirardelli box mix. It's the only mix I'll use.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:24 pm »

My cooking style is to just buy some random ingredients which my gut tells me go well together, and toss them in one or two pans. I don't think I've ever used a cookbook in my life (although I have to admit that I did work in the kitchen of a traditional english style pub here in the Netherlands, serving shepherd's pies and roast welsh lamb in mint sauce, as a side job next to my studies. I doubt however that staring into the abyss of english cuisine can in any way improve one's cooking skills).

Now most of the time, my culinary creations come out decent to nice. I'm quite talented at cooking, I've been told.
Sometimes however I make something that is good enough to store it in the cookbook database somewhere in the back of my head.

Today's menu was one of these 'oh, this tastes exceptionally great' moments.

Needed:
- brown beech mushrooms (depending on where you live, might be sold with their japanese name, bunashimeji. I think the US uses that, EU doesn't, because it's a native species in northern Europe as well as Asia)
- grey oyster mushrooms
- chantarelles
- cherry tomatoes
- spanish red pepper
- chicken fillet
- rosemary
- chives
- potatoes / rice / pasta, bread whatever you like most

Take a handful of brown beech mushrooms, a handful of grey oyster mushrooms, a handful of chantarelles, and a spanish red pepper.
Chop up the pepper finely, discard the seeds.
Clean and slice the mushrooms (NOT WITH WATER. Never ever clean mushrooms with water, they soak themselves and all flavour dies. Clean them with a soft brush or household paper), and mix them with the finely chopped red pepper.

Now prepare some chicken filets by slicing them into chewable chunks, and seasoning them with some salt, white pepper, and paprika powder.

Put some butter and/or oil in a frying pan. Put your mushroom / red pepper mix into the frying pan once the oil is hot.
Let the mushrooms fry for about 2 minutes, while you keep stirring them gently so they don't burn. Don't turn the stove too low.

Now, add some rosemary (and go ahead, add some more, it's one of the main taste-makers for this dish, it is okay if the whole pan smells like rosemary), stir a few times until it's mixed with the shrooms, and then add about 2 handfuls of whole cherry tomatoes, and add the chicken.
Fry the chicken pieces-and-shroom mix for another minute on high flame, making sure to turn over the chicken pieces so they seal-fry on both sides.

Now put a lid on the pan, turn down the stove to nearly it's lowest, and let it brew for another 5 minutes, while stirring it once or twice in between so nothing accidentally burns on one side.

Serve with potatoes / pasta / rice / bread, whatever starch source you like best. In case of the potatoes and rice, make sure to start preparing them ahead of the chicken and shrooms, or they won't be ready in time. Top it off with some chopped fresh chives. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:32:21 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »

I doubt however that staring into the abyss of english cuisine can in any way improve one's cooking skills).

What's wrong with English cuisine?

I've heard lots of people treat it as a punchline, but having eaten and cooked it for a while I can't see why. The names are funny, but even something like toad-in-the-hole is just eggs and sausage with onion gravy. It's like a savory Dutch baby or clafoutis. Likewise, spotted Dick is just a currant pudding with a giggle-inducing name, and black pudding is blutwurst with different spices. It's just all so normal.

Is it the offal? Are people just squicked out about eating sheep organs? I would have guessed all the jellied fish and eels, but people don't seem as bothered by aspic.

I mean, they've got Kæstur hákarl and skerpikjøt just to their northwest and they've been repeatedly invaded by people who eat lutefisk, but somehow the people behind pork pies and Cheddar cheese are the hilariously weird ones.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:28:12 pm by Trekkin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 14, 2017, 02:13:17 pm »

Well Stereotypes are sometimes not based on anything real...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then again.

Also Bread Sauce?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 14, 2017, 02:27:28 pm »

Also Bread Sauce?

What about it? It's just a white sauce thickened with bread instead of flour; it's a lot like gravy without meat, really.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 14, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »

Ate some magic mushrooms then visited my father.
He was whisking eggs up and i gleefully sat down in front of the television mentality pulling apart the actors lives through the choices of ad jobs they took.
He was cooking his best dish white bait fritters, its a delicacy in new zealand but also the species of fish is dwindling due to over fishing its a ocean fish that spawns in streams and such when they swim to sea you catch them in nets in the hundreds when in season and is the reason for the 'shortage' and my unwillingness to eat/catch it, but seeing as the tiny fishes are already dead I wont waste anything.
Sadly I never ask him to teach me his recipe and i feel as it may be an instinct measurement recipe by now.

Fucking perfect.
Its so good with a little bit of bacon and tartar sauce, great with beer and as you eat it you can see hundreds of tiny delicious eyes peering back at you.
Its really clean and It wouldn't be out of place in a Japanese restaurant.
I guess its back to packet ramen now so yeah  >:(
××××××××××××××××××

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:02 pm »

English cuisine isn't that bad really, although they've incorporated less variation of spices and herbs into their national spice heritage than some other former colonial nations. English cuisine does have a name of being a bit, what's the word, bland?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:30 am »

They consider boiled vegetables proper food.

They don't even put salt in the water.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 15, 2017, 12:53:48 pm »

Nice satire
××××××××××××××××××

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 15, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »

I PERSONALLY think it is because the English, in some respects, don't put their best foot forward.

A lot of the dishes the English are known for are unelevated subsistence dishes.

The French have a lot of subsistence dishes as well... But they aren't known for those... They are known for Parisian cooking.

For example I look up English Breakfast and I get this:

I look up French Breakfast and I get this:

-On a side note: ANOTHER disgusting food in an English picture of food I find? We should eliminate Molasses beans from existence!
-Note note: I didn't just pick the best and worst pictures I found...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:31:03 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 334