Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556591 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3795 on: June 09, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »

The deed is done. Some may claim it's overcooked but they're subjectively wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/lwGJh

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: June 10, 2017, 07:21:57 am »

For someone who claims to not enjoy cooking and insists that she isn't good at it, every meal my mother makes is bloody delicious.
Except for the ones with lots of string beans in them. Eugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3797 on: June 10, 2017, 07:27:07 am »

The deed is done. Some may claim it's overcooked but they're subjectively wrong.

Subjective opinion: anyone that claims it's impossible to cook a good, well-done steak, just doesn't know how.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: June 27, 2017, 01:52:48 am »

I created ultra-brownies today. (No, does not contain the Colorado Secret Ingredient.)

Giardhelli boxed brownie mix, 2 boxes.
4 bars of hershey special dark chocolate
hershey chocolate syrup
2 sticks of butter
splash of vanilla
eggs
milk.

The box's directions produce fudge like brownies. That is fine and dandy and all, but I wanted more variety.  Here is what I did:

1) first layer of the brownie was made according to directions, but instead of 1/3cup vegetable oil, was created with 1/3 cup butter, and instead of 1/4cup water, made with 1/4 cup milk. Added splash of vanilla.  This layer produced fudge like brownie, as expected.

2) Second layer was experimental kitchen creation of 4 melted hershey special dark chocolate bars, mixed with ~1/4 cup of Hershey original chocolate syrup, mixed together very quickly while hot.  The mixture cools and stays semi-liquid, due to the syrup.  This mixture was re-heated and gently drizzled in a lattice pattern over the fudge-like layer.

3) Despite the box's insistence that you need to reduce the fluid content of the mix if you add additional eggs for "thicker" brownies, I elected for "cake like", even if the box has no directions for it.  From experience, cake like brownie needs the normal liquid complement, and 2 eggs.  Made the same as the fudge like layer, but with 2 eggs added instead.  Poured over the top of the hershey lattice, and shook to level.

The pan was buttered, and then sprinkled with chocolate pudding mix.

Brownies were baked in 325F preheated oven for ~46 minutes. Cooked up lovely.  Perfect combination of moisture, textures, and extreme chocolate flavor.   Very nice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: July 16, 2017, 11:06:49 am »

Made myself a nice vegetarian salad to bridge the 4 hour gap between my stomach and my slowly stewing meat.

Slowly fried a chopped red pepper for about a minute to sweeten it up, then added oyster mushrooms. Fried those gently for about 7 minutes.
Then I let them cool down, and added some olive oil, salt,  paprika powder, black and white pepper, a hint of Indonesian ketjap manis (sweet fermented soy sauce), and a clove of chopped fresh garlic.

This I mixed with corn salad that I'd already treated with some olive oil and lemon juice (vinegar will do if you don't have lemons).

It was really nice. The red pepper and soy sauce really helped accent the mushrooms, while the lemon-treated salad, with the raw garlic kept it nice and fresh tasting.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »

Red Bean Daifuku! Actually very easy!

Rice Flour is pretty easy to work with. And for this, you just add water, salt, sugar, and steam / microwave the stuff. The Anko filling was the hardest part, and it was just putting sugar in with a pot of cooked Red Beans, and reducing and mushing the mix until it was a paste.

I messed up the mochi dough though, so forming them into stuffed dumplings was a trial... but they sorta worked out in the end. Next time should be better. :3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:52 pm »

Made another bread loaf last night, and it came out super duper fluffy, with a soft golden crust. A success by any measure.

My wife's been pushing me to sell them, but it's scary.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:36 am »

Earlier I found there was no normal bread in the house upon which to "smash an avo," as they say, so I halved and toasted a big ol' Lebanese flatbread and smeared avocado on that instead. Does that count as culinary innovation? It turned out alright, I guess.

Made another bread loaf last night, and it came out super duper fluffy, with a soft golden crust. A success by any measure.

My wife's been pushing me to sell them, but it's scary.
Sounds delicious, you should do it!
Well, depending on what the laws surrounding the sale of foodstuffs are where you live, and how difficult they are to deal with.
I know such laws can be a major pain in the posterior, here in Australia at least.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: July 19, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »

Subjective opinion: anyone that claims it's impossible to cook a good, well-done steak, just doesn't know how.
I dont recognize any colors after pink.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »

How sad for you then that pork chops are objectively better ;P
and not good to eat, pink
is what I meant
by that
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »

Medium-rare is the best obvo. With a nice char on the outside and whatever rub, marinade, or extreme-buttering you prefer.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: July 23, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »

Could someone suggest literally anything simple and vegetarian I could cook?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:56 pm »

Lentils (or other beans) and rice.

I happen to have some miso from a recently trip, so I'd probably add some of that in.  I also have a jar of jalapenos I might try, for variety.
Honestly, my meals are decided by what I buy.

Edit:  By which I mean I generally throw together all sorts of random stuff into soup, stew, or sometimes saute.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:57:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: July 23, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »

Could someone suggest literally anything simple and vegetarian I could cook?
Cows are pretty simple, and vegetarian. (sry couldn't help myself)

If rice and beans is not what you had in mind, you could make what we call over here a 'farmer's omelet'. Fry some veggies, like tomato and / or paprika, and perhaps some sliced champignon for a few minutes, then add the stirred eggs. Put a lid on the frying pan, put the fire below it as low as possible so it doesn't burn, let the omelet rise, and enjoy.
If you use the right size frying pan, the omelet itself will tell you it's ready when it rises so high it lifts the lid off the pan. Always funny to behold.

EDIT: I was ofcourse assuming that you know how to prepare eggs for an omelet. If you don't: take 2 eggs per person, break them in a bowl. Add about 1 eating spoon of milk or water per 2 eggs, add salt, pepper, and any spicing you like with eggs in the bowl. Take a fork or a whisk, and whip the mix till it's smooth.

Unless ofcourse you meant vegan, and not vegetarian, and eggs are off-limit too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:10:09 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: July 23, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »

I didn't mean to be flippant, BTW.  Most of my meals really are simple and straightforward, since I have almost no sense of smell.  I do like them spicey, though.  I've been going through a lot of jalapenos recently.

But I can't appreciate a lot of the subtlety of food.  So staples like potatoes and rice work very well for me, combined with vegetables and hot peppers.

Or tofu, heh.  On that recent trip I got a few blocks of gooey tofu with spices mixed in, and they're a really nice snack to me.
I also got some "elephant-ear"-wrapped rice balls with mushroom, pork, and beans all ready to be steamed in a microwave, but I left them with my brother because I don't have a microwave.
(dear gods the one I ate was so good, though.  I ate it straight out of the steaming leaves.  I meant to wait for my brother, but by the time he reentered the kitchen I was face deep in it.  I was very hungry but also it was a satisfying combination of flavors).
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 334