Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556550 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3720 on: November 23, 2016, 09:00:40 pm »

Eating a sloppy joe basically is a depraved one-person sex act.

Given the name, that's not particularly surprising.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: November 24, 2016, 01:15:14 am »

Also the best beer in the world.

I'll pay the best Pilsner, but Czech's don't even come close to best beer in general. For personal preference, the finesse and artistry that goes into Belgian brewing is amazing, and the complexity of a fine geuze is unrivalled in the beer world.

Really though, the big brewing powerhouses (UK/Germany/US/Belgium/Czech) each have something going for them, so no one will ever agree on who is the best because we each like different things.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3722 on: November 24, 2016, 01:24:12 am »

Also the best beer in the world.

I'll pay the best Pilsner, but Czech's don't even come close to best beer in general. For personal preference, the finesse and artistry that goes into Belgian brewing is amazing, and the complexity of a fine geuze is unrivalled in the beer world.

Really though, the big brewing powerhouses (UK/Germany/US/Belgium/Czech) each have something going for them, so no one will ever agree on who is the best because we each like different things.

That is fair - what type of beer is "best" is really down to personal taste. (Just like wine, no matter what many snobs try to claim.) Czech wins hands down according to my personal taste, but certainly I wouldn't argue that it's best for everyone. Still, I would suggest it's worth someone visiting and trying it to see if it's their favorite as well. ;)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3723 on: November 24, 2016, 12:51:37 pm »

Apparently mostly older recipes. But it seems they often do (although less often than, say, cinnamon).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: November 24, 2016, 01:26:40 pm »

That is unusual but very interesting... I'm definitely going to have to make a mace pumpkin pie now.

It's from the same plant as nutmeg and tastes similar, so you can probably substitute it if you have trouble finding mace. I got mine from an Indian grocery store.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: November 25, 2016, 08:27:20 pm »

In the wake of the food coma I feel sorta bad for fibbing a little. Our family pumpkin pie recipe doesn't use brown sugar and molasses for sweetening, it uses honey and molasses. S'an important part of the taste, and also makes it a bit better for you. The latter local and the former good quality, ofc. Still not gonna spill the portions though.

Speaking of, we went 100% homemade this year. Except, shamefully, for the whipped cream.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: November 25, 2016, 10:10:11 pm »

Hm... In the Czech Republic, the big bottles of beer are 1.5 liters. A half liter is standard size. Also, it's literally cheaper than (bottled) water. Also the best beer in the world.

Come to Prague, everyone!
Not sure if I've tried Czechoslovakian beer or not, but that would be awesome purely for the architecture.
Man, I wouldn't mind somehow making my way to Europe and just, I don't know, (hitch-)hiking across the whole damn place. Probably would be too much of a poverty-stricken adventure to have much relevance to the Food Thread, though. :P

Edit: Oh, whilst I'm in the Food Thread, what's a good solution to flavouring plain instant noodles?
For some reason there are several packs of instant noodle/ramen cakes in the pantry without the usual seasoning sachets. I guess I could just dump some soy sauce on them? Probably? Not sure what would work best.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:12:11 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:37 pm »

Honestly just about anything will do. Can't go wrong with soy sauce, sometimes I try a cube of soup base, toss in some veggies, split a sachet from another pack and back it up with soy sauce. Tons of easy instant-ramen spice-up recipes floating around the web.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3728 on: November 26, 2016, 03:16:02 am »

Hm... In the Czech Republic, the big bottles of beer are 1.5 liters. A half liter is standard size. Also, it's literally cheaper than (bottled) water. Also the best beer in the world.

Not sure if I've tried Czechoslovakian beer or not, but that would be awesome purely for the architecture.
Man, I wouldn't mind somehow making my way to Europe and just, I don't know, (hitch-)hiking across the whole damn place. Probably would be too much of a poverty-stricken adventure to have much relevance to the Food Thread, though. :P

Uff... I'm assuming you live in the US and never learned much about Europe, but quick and very important correction here: Czechoslovakia hasn't existed for 25 years. It's the Czech Republic now, and Slovakia is it's own country with its own language and culture, and it *really* rubs locals from both countries the wrong way when people continue to link them together like that.

Also, Europe probably isn't anything like you think it is. It's awesome and all, but the whole hitchhiking across it thing isn't something people usually do anymore, other than the occasional very brave hippie. You can do backpacking adventures, mostly involving trains and such, but hitchhiking is not much easier or safer here than in the US. And "Europe" really isn't one entity any more than North America (despite the efforts of the EU) - each country has its own language, culture, food, etc., and don't all necessarily get along or like each other very much. Due to Schengen, you can cross most borders without going through customs, though. Not trying to discourage you from coming - you totally should explore the world and learn more about it. Sadly, very few Americans ever do that. I've lived in the Czech Republic for 7 years and I never want to leave.

Anyway, back to food! Speaking of being in the Czech Republic, Thanksgiving is one of the few things I miss here, and I've yet to find a good way to celebrate. The same foods just aren't available, or they're ridiculously expensive. I'm thinking of trying to cook up something this weekend. A big turkey is out of the question - my oven is tiny. I think I can find a small frozen turkey somewhere, but it will be super expensive... I'll have to measure the oven first to make sure it will fit before buying. I've never cooked turkey before, though. Anyone have a good source for instructions on how to do so? Or any advice on other ways to cook it if I screw up and it doesn't fit in the oven?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: November 26, 2016, 03:24:58 am »

Edit: Oh, whilst I'm in the Food Thread, what's a good solution to flavouring plain instant noodles?
For some reason there are several packs of instant noodle/ramen cakes in the pantry without the usual seasoning sachets. I guess I could just dump some soy sauce on them? Probably? Not sure what would work best.

Literally anything that gives you flavour. Stock, vegetables, meats, condiments. Much of the purpose of pastas and noodles is to act as a vehicle for the flavour of a broth or foods alongside them.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3730 on: November 26, 2016, 03:49:59 am »

Literally anything that gives you flavour. Stock, vegetables, meats, condiments. Much of the purpose of pastas and noodles is to act as a vehicle for the flavour of a broth or foods alongside them.

Oh, my favorite flavor-adder for noodles is sesame oil. Fry whatever veggies, etc. in a little of that before adding water and noodles and your taste buds will thank you. I never buy the noodles with flavor packets. I always just make a soup and add the noodles at the end. Much healthier and tastier (and more filling).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: November 26, 2016, 04:26:43 am »

@Sappho: I knew all of that except for the Czech / Slovakia thing. Whoops. :-[
Yes, I am aware that hitchhiking is incredibly dangerous, haha. I am from Australia, by the way.

Thanks for the noodle advice, people. When I ate them earlier I just added some mustard and soy/teriyaki sauce, and the first time included some misc. salad bits (poorly) mixed in, the second time I tore up some baby spinach and mixed that in. Ehh, it was alright overall. Still not nearly as good as the flavoured kinds.
Next time I should probably add some oil or stock. If there is a next time. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: November 26, 2016, 11:29:21 am »

If you have an Asian grocery around (and you probs should since you're in Oz), pick up veggies from there if you're dedicated. Or just be lazy with celery/carrots/whatever.

3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »

I'm looking to make some tuna sushi rolls for lunch next week. I'm restocking the rice and nori tomorrow, but is there any kind of vegetable or other thing I should put in them with the tuna?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: November 27, 2016, 03:05:02 am »

I'm looking to make some tuna sushi rolls for lunch next week. I'm restocking the rice and nori tomorrow, but is there any kind of vegetable or other thing I should put in them with the tuna?

It's your call. I usually go for a tiny sliver of avocado with it.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 334