Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552821 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3540 on: August 13, 2016, 10:24:03 pm »

Cooked up some kangaroo. Nice and lean, simple and delicious. Lifted some weights, then had a kangaroo steak sandwich with garlic aioli and beetroot. Noice.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 13, 2016, 11:42:41 pm »

Have you eaten bison?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 14, 2016, 02:58:39 am »

Cooked up some kangaroo. Nice and lean, simple and delicious. Lifted some weights, then had a kangaroo steak sandwich with garlic aioli and beetroot. Noice.

Noooice.

Also, try emu if you haven't already. Soo good.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 18, 2016, 10:15:03 am »

I made shakshuka again recently. It's becoming one of those dishes I make pretty regularly.

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

It's pretty easy if you have the tomato sauce already. Mine was a little too thick (the eggs wouldn't have sunk in), so I made some vegetable broth to thin it out. I also felt like adding yellow and red peppers, so I chopped them up and simmered them in the broth. Once they were soft I mixed the broth and tomato sauce, then added the eggs and covered until they were cooked.

It turned out very well. At some point I'm going to have to try some variations like tomatillo shakshuka.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 20, 2016, 08:34:22 am »

I made shakshuka again recently. It's becoming one of those dishes I make pretty regularly.

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

It's pretty easy if you have the tomato sauce already. Mine was a little too thick (the eggs wouldn't have sunk in), so I made some vegetable broth to thin it out. I also felt like adding yellow and red peppers, so I chopped them up and simmered them in the broth. Once they were soft I mixed the broth and tomato sauce, then added the eggs and covered until they were cooked.

It turned out very well. At some point I'm going to have to try some variations like tomatillo shakshuka.

What the hell is that?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 20, 2016, 09:39:48 am »

It looks like a lot of tomatoes and some likely very soft eggs... not sure how you'd even eat that unless it's basically a soup.
Nom nom nom

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 20, 2016, 02:18:54 pm »

Shakshuka is basically eggs cooked in a chunky tomato sauce. It's thicker than it looks - the liquid rose to the top while the eggs were cooking, but it's not like that all the way through.

The eggs are also cooked pretty thoroughly, as I don't mess around with raw eggs. So I ate the shakshuka by chopping up the eggs with a fork, mixing it around, and scooping up forkfuls of egg and tomato.

If it weirds you out, I recommend looking up a recipe and trying it! You can probably make it with stuff in your house, at least if you keep eggs and canned tomatoes around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 21, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

Hey guys I am wondering

Is there a way to revive leftover pork?

It seems like cooking it twice always leads to this nasty pork.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 21, 2016, 07:23:17 pm »

That really depends on what kind of leftover pork it is.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »

Shakshuka is basically eggs cooked in a chunky tomato sauce. It's thicker than it looks - the liquid rose to the top while the eggs were cooking, but it's not like that all the way through.

The eggs are also cooked pretty thoroughly, as I don't mess around with raw eggs. So I ate the shakshuka by chopping up the eggs with a fork, mixing it around, and scooping up forkfuls of egg and tomato.

If it weirds you out, I recommend looking up a recipe and trying it! You can probably make it with stuff in your house, at least if you keep eggs and canned tomatoes around.
It's also really, really delicious, for the record. I tried it in Tunisia couple of years ago and was always planning to make some buuuut then I forgot what it was called. Now that you reminded me I'll probably make some, now that I can!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 22, 2016, 07:33:28 am »

Made some bulgur with a bit of beef thrown in. Never been a fan of bulgur, but I guess it turned out alright this time.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:05 am »

Hey guys I am wondering

Is there a way to revive leftover pork?

It seems like cooking it twice always leads to this nasty pork.
That...uh, depends. Both on the physical characteristics of the pork in the present time (ie odor and otherwise stuff on the surface), and how long it's been out(?) or refrigerated.
And nasty how? :P Odor and other physical characteristics about it really helps determine if...it can be revived in the first place. It's all to those nice microbes which keep it able to be digested well. Even if you cook those sorts well...spoilage is affected by many factors. Needs more info >_>
Although I don't cook much and am just assuming out of chemistry and biology. :D [/inexperienced]
Woo PTW post and I am only starting to cook nooooooow

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »

I don't have a recipe for you or anything, but when I wanted to actually work on my cooking skills I got started by making stews and soups. It takes more care than scrambled eggs, but not that much more care, and it gets you to use a broad variety of basic skills. It also gives a chance to learn what tastes good with what and how much to use. I would make something like mushroom soup stock from a can; with fresh potatoes, leeks, and peas. I'd use the water I'd boiled the vegetables in to dilute the stock, and mix in the actual vegetables in when it was nearly up to temperature.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:22:49 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »

There's plenty of easy stuff that you can portion to fit your needs.

Pasta. Boil water. Dump in however much you want to make with some salt. Wait until soft. Strain. Season with salt+pepper+butter/olive oil+garlic/a sauce if you want to be slightly fancy.

Chicken under the broiler. Get a breast, trim the fat, stick it under the broiler (on a rack near the top) on a broiling pan for a couple minutes. Pull it out once the juices run clear (poke it with a knife) and the outside is starting to brown with black bits. If you've never broiled before, remember to leave the door ajar, and that it cooks stuff damned quick. You can't really walk away with a timer set for this. Goes good with angel-hair spaghetti because that also cooks really fast.

Baked potatoes. Get a russet tater. Preheat to 425 degrees F. Scrub-wash the tater and poke holes in it with a fork or w/e if you don't want a spud grenade going off. Rub it with olive oil and salt. Let it bake for ~90 minutes. Cut that sucker open, stick whatever the hell you want inside (cheddar, butter, salt & pepper, veggies, go fuckin' wild).

Roasted vegetables. AKA veggies that aren't tasteless mush. Preheat to 425 degrees F. Rub those suckers with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, spread them out on a baking sheet. Stick 'em in until they start to char. You can do this with just about anything you want. If it's something big/thick, cut into strips or whatever, but stuff like asparagus, brussel sprouts, &c. can go in whole.

Foil-baked cabbage. Preheat to 425 degrees F. Take a head of cabbage, cut off the stem, remove the outermost layer or three. Quarter that sucker into wedges (if you're only serving yourself, two should probably do, save the rest). Rip off pieces of foil big enough to completely wrap the wedges, stick 'em in there with the spicing mix of your choice. Some people use olive oil and lemon juice, some use butter and garlic, everyone adds salt and pepper. Find a recipe to suit your taste. Wrap the foil tight around the wedges, put 'em on a baking sheet or on the grill rack, leave them in the oven for your choice (anywhere from 20m to an hour, depending on how tender you want them).

Garlic bread. Get some bread. Cut it into flattish pieces (baguettes and similar work best, but you can do it on Wonder Bread if you're sick and twisted). Spread olive oil and garlic on one side of each piece, maybe a little grated parmesan. Stick those suckers in the toaster for a couple minutes. Bam, done. Eat that shit with your chicken breast and pasta.

That's all shit that's easy, low-mess, and adaptable. Mostly healthy, too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 25, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »

About that broiled chicken: should it be flattened first? I don't see a chicken breast of any real thickness being properly cooked inside when it only gets broiled for a few minutes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 334