Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553152 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2760 on: May 02, 2015, 02:49:31 am »

I made carbonara the other day! I didn't take an pictures but it was awesome, and actually quite easy to make.

Juniper berries are apparently a pretty good marinade ingredient.

Won't it end up tasting like gin then?

A splash of gin in a marinade isn't bad either.

But gin tastes like getting face-fucked by a cedar bush.

-snip-

Holy fuck where do I apply?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:17 am »

Sure, it was a ready store-bought mix, but goddamnit, muesli is really damn good. I might start eating it more often now (with yoghurt because screw milk).

I'm probably not getting the best value for my money that way, but I think it's decent enough for a start and I'm really lazy to make my own, for now at least. That said if you guys have any ideas for what kinda muesli is good (even if it's ultimately subjective like all food ever) then feel free to let me know, though most things are a little difficult to get a hold of over here, I'm afraid.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: May 02, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »

Come to the midwest and ask the dude in the first pic for a job ;)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 03, 2015, 12:03:53 am »

Come to the midwest and ask the dude in the first pic for a job ;)

There's millions of that dude in the midwest.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:57 pm »

I helped my friend to cook cakes for her cake day. We made seven of them and I took some pictures of the process, because everybody should have a chance to have a look at
at least once in a lifetime.
For one of the cakes we bought about 600 grams of cherry. I ate 1/3 of them immediately. And the cake after baking looked like something very dead, bloody and delicious.
To finish the tale I'd like to share the knowledge that making seven cakes is very tiresome.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:59:49 pm by Bumblebee »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 04, 2015, 04:11:23 pm »

Well, one cake is pretty intense. I suppose seven is... oh... seven times as intense?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

Heh, last November I made ten Stollen, with marzipan filling. There's people who free up a whole afternoon to make two - I worked not too efficiently and went to bed at 7am, continuing the next day :D

It's a good thing Christmas only comes once a year.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 04, 2015, 07:17:36 pm »

When I made that carbonara it took a couple hours, and that was with slacking off and just baking the chicken in the oven.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 05, 2015, 03:23:41 am »

What? Carbonara is pretty fast and easy...

Helgo: Isn't that the cake that has to be baked every day for several day, to let the butter seep in?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:44 am »

Whut? If you have a recipe like that, please share - that sounds lovely. But the version I did is baked the normal way, coated in butter, and then stored away for a couple weeks to let the taste develop. No slow-baking here, sadly.

You know what, I make lots of them each year anyway - you'll simply get one too next Christmas ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 05, 2015, 05:52:28 am »

I did it once, before the two week rest period it was baked a bit every day for three or four days, ill try to dig up that recipe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:47 am »

What? Carbonara is pretty fast and easy...
And... chicken? In carbonara?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:10 am »

I just realized I have milk, bananas, chocolate chips, and a blender.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39:24 am »

Be careful with the amounts of banana unless you want to clean out your guts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 05, 2015, 07:47:02 am »

I've decided that since it's summer and I don't have school, I'm going to try to put in a significant amount of effort to cook something at least five days a week. I'm not really measuring effort in any way beyond "I'm satisfied with how much I've put in" but that doesn't matter a ton. This isn't supposed to be that rigorous; I'm just trying to make sure I don't get too lazy. Here are days #1 and #2 of this week.

I made the peanut sauce recipe from Good and Cheap, using like half a banana pepper since I didn't want it to be spicy. I turned the garlic/shallot/pepper into a paste with my immersion blender, which was probably not the best tool for the job but I made it work.

Then I decided to eat it with an idea I've had for a while, curry breaded fried chicken. It's normal fried chicken with turmeric and curry powder in the breading instead of paprika and whatever spices I normally use. The chicken and sauce were both very good, but I felt like something lighter would pair with the peanut sauce better.

There's also a little tofu in the picture. My roommate made that with some of the peanut sauce.

Turns out I made a ton of peanut sauce and bought way more coconut milk than I need. So I decided to use the last of the chicken and make that lighter dish to pair with the sauce, chopping up a thigh and simmering it in coconut milk and spices. Turmeric and curry were the main ones. This was tasty, but could have been improved by marinating the chicken a bit. I was surprised the flavor didn't get in deeper considering the chicken was boiling in it for a while.

I still have an excessive amount of coconut milk and peanut sauce. Does anyone have good uses for either of these things?

Helgo: Isn't that the cake that has to be baked every day for several day, to let the butter seep in?
I did it once, before the two week rest period it was baked a bit every day for three or four days, ill try to dig up that recipe.

This sounds beautiful, and so unlike any cake you'd see in America. We get super guilty about the non-buttery cakes.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 334