Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553112 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2700 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:43 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:51:08 am by penguinofhonor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:25 pm »

You gotta carry your own spices anyways, since most places parse "as spicy as you can make it" as "add a few more flakes of that flavorless dried pepper".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:09:09 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 14, 2015, 09:53:26 pm »

I keep on telling them "Make it spicy" and then I wonder if they actually just gave me the mild version :<

Yeah, i've noticed that a lot of places don't seem to understand spice.

On the other hand, with the surfeit of Asian restaurants here in Melbourne, it's pretty easy to find a food that's legitimately incredibly spicy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:00 pm »

Yep. There's this little hole-in-the-wall place near where I live that's run by some Vietnamese family, and the secret to getting it good is to ask for them to make it as spicy as it would be if they were going to eat it.

I keep on telling them "Make it spicy" and then I wonder if they actually just gave me the mild version :<

On the other hand, with the surfeit of Asian restaurants here in Melbourne, it's pretty easy to find a food that's legitimately incredibly spicy.
The real reason is that restaurants and employees are generally sick of idiots who ask for super-spicy food, get it, and then complain about it being too spicy, natch. That's why family-run places are best: they're less likely to be "spicing" with the same flakes of pepper that every chain ever founded uses, so even a little bit more actually makes a difference.

e: Not sure how much that holds outside the U.S. When I was in Scotland I didn't have any trouble finding a place with really spicy kebabs or curry, even when we were all too wasted to be properly discerning.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 15, 2015, 12:46:59 am »

Me, I tend to be cautious when it comes to ordering anything spicy. Though my tastes have broadened somewhat in recent years, I'm well aware that most of what I would consider "hot" would be mild by most people's standards.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: April 15, 2015, 01:05:34 am »

Hooray, I'm not the only one! The pain is real, and they never bring enough of it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 15, 2015, 02:45:51 am »

I've  found two methods that often (but not always) work to get a restaurant where I am not already known to provide legitimately spicy food (assuming they are capable of producing such).

The first is to tell the waitress up front that if they manage to make it too spicy you'll not only pay for the too spicy food, but also pay for a 2nd order of the same with a more appropriate spice level. This often avoids the 'play it cautious so they don't have to re-make the food' issue.

The 2nd is to ask the waitress to tell the chef that you don't believe he can make it spicy enough for you. Many chefs will go out of their way to attempt to make it too spicy in the face of such a challenge, and will often come out to watch you try their food to see if they succeeded.

And please don't try either of these 2 methods if you believe that the restaurant might actually be able to deliver food which is too spicy for you to enjoy. I've never yet found a restaurant that can in my case, but I'm one of those people who wins bar bets in Thailand by being able to eat spicier food than the locals and thinks grilled ghost peppers with a bleu cheese dipping sauce make a great snack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 15, 2015, 03:01:11 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:08:31 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 15, 2015, 07:03:21 am »

Case in point; there's an amazing Szechuan place in Chinatown, in the alleyway directly north of the Croft Institute (and next door to Berlin Bar). I love spicy food, and this place does not dissappoint; it leaves my face bright red, and nose running like a faucet... and it. Is. AWESOME. Plus the food is legitimately very good.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 15, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »

Case in point; there's an amazing Szechuan place in Chinatown, in the alleyway directly north of the Croft Institute (and next door to Berlin Bar). I love spicy food, and this place does not dissappoint; it leaves my face bright red, and nose running like a faucet... and it. Is. AWESOME. Plus the food is legitimately very good.

Not to mention that North China Cuisine (name?) that you suggested we all go to in Box Hill that time. That was fantastic.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:16 am »

That's almost a quarter pound of extraction grade beans. The importer recommends that many beans for three liters of Vodka. I'm soaking them in only .75 litres of pre-flavored alcohol. This is going to be some very real shit when it's done.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 16, 2015, 04:20:39 am »

Not to mention that North China Cuisine (name?) that you suggested we all go to in Box Hill that time. That was fantastic.

I believe I suggested that place [/feigneddisdain]

I'm pretty sure it is just called 'Northern China Restaurant' or something, too.

Their sweet and sour pork (like, the original method, with vinegar rather than pineapple) is sufficiently sour that if you inhale while you've got a piece close to your mouth you're briefly incapacitated
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:22:11 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 16, 2015, 04:55:54 am »

Yeah, that was Blarg. I used to live in Box Hill, but I had never been to that particular restaurant before.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 16, 2015, 05:13:28 am »

That's almost a quarter pound of extraction grade beans. The importer recommends that many beans for three liters of Vodka. I'm soaking them in only .75 litres of pre-flavored alcohol. This is going to be some very real shit when it's done.
So is that stuff going to be like a vanilla Gargle Blaster?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 334