Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552953 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2550 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:18 pm »

It's just flour -- and a crappy cellphone camera that makes all food look like a horror movie prop. :) 100% rye dough is low on gluten and elasticity, so the cracking is inevitable (and it looks nice when baked and photographed by professionals).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: March 08, 2015, 04:21:48 pm »

It's a cabbage in the same way as broccoli is.

I'd argue it's more so, because you're eating the same part of the plant in kale or Green cabbage: the leaft, unlike brussels sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 08, 2015, 04:32:19 pm »

It's a cabbage in the same way as broccoli is.

I'd argue it's more so, because you're eating the same part of the plant in kale or Green cabbage: the leaft, unlike brussels sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli.

Don't forget the bok choy. Don't forget the bok choy, sesame oi and garlic in frying pan! Is yummy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bok_choy

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:35 am »

I have spent a few days at my Granny's... Now I'm coming back to proudly present you her speciality of the house!
Spoiler: Granny‘s apple cake. (click to show/hide)
The buiscuit is delightful and the recipe is surprisingly simple: nothing but 4 eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 cup of flour mixed together. The most important thing is NO SALT. She also adds some cowberry to the apples when she has any, but this is optional. Now I'm full of self-contradictions: can't deside who is a better cook, she or Mom or me...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:43:34 am by Bumblebee »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 12, 2015, 05:03:52 am »

That looks sooo good :D

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: March 16, 2015, 01:05:02 am »

It does. But it looks more like a pie than a cake.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: March 16, 2015, 03:58:02 pm »

It might be a pie. It's just that I don't know what is the difference between a cake and a pie for a better english-speaker than me. You've seen what I call a cake and I was sure that  pies are something like
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
Am I wrong?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: March 16, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »

That's a pasty.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: March 16, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »

The cakepie is an interesting beast - the filling looks somewhat cakey, as though the apples were suspended in some kind of batter. Perhaps it is truly neither cake nor pie, in that case! Merely delicious.

Incidentally, the English-speaker distinction between pie and cake is that a pie is a pastry shell with some kind of filling, while a cake is a solid lump of baked batter. Baked dough, as opposed to batter, is some kind of bread. The line between cake and bread is actually fairly hazy - some fruitcake recipes are rather like sweet breads (not sweetbreads), while some quick bread recipes are akin to loaf-shaped cakes.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: March 16, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »

So GD's suggestion of "pastry" would probably be the best term as it encompasses both and the dish in question appears to have aspects of both.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: March 16, 2015, 05:22:17 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:33:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:56 pm »

It might be a pie. It's just that I don't know what is the difference between a cake and a pie for a better english-speaker than me. You've seen what I call a cake and I was sure that  pies are something like
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
Am I wrong?

Cake = solid, bread-like flavored material. It might have layers of frosting, or jam, or something else, however the main part of the dessert is the cake material

Pie = Crust surrounding and holding something. Usually fruit filling, but sometimes other things like chocolate. The main part of the dessert is the filling.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: March 17, 2015, 12:39:41 am »

It appears to be a crust surrounding and holding a solid bread-like flavored material; so I suppose either would work.

It certainly looks good whatever it is.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: March 17, 2015, 07:08:22 am »

Though pies can also (and are sometimes, in some places, only know for) being filled with meat/gravey/veggies as a main dish/entree. Meat pies (only one that I know by name is sheperds pie) are just great
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:01 am »

And then you have Quiche, which are salted pies with a egg and cream and stuff filling in addition of whatever you put in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 334