Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552867 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2415 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »

#justslavicthings
Yep.
Not sure where you are from, Levi, but Maslenitsa is mostly celebrated in Orthodox slavic countries, like Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Bulgaria. Because in fact it's just a christianity-adopted slavic pagan festival. So you have no chance to get covered in pancakes if you live in... Brazil. Or wherever else except mentioned countries. Don't regret it too much: it's fine and sunny in Brazil; and the endless monotonous pancakes really do make you weary.

You had mistakes (everything that is underlined was missing or incorrect). I corrected them.

You still did better than I on my sixth post. Have my advice - add english dictionary to your browsers' spell-check, it will underline grammatical mistakes. It is a very handy tool, I use it myself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:15:47 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »

Ha-ha! Feel jealous? And what if I tell you that at the end of the week we are going to cinder a huge straw statue of a winter-woman? And dance aroud its burning body? That is how brutal people greet spring!
(Not about food, sorry)

Also, Comrade P., I'm happy someone has read my sig. Now you should entertain me. And "yap" is how I really pronounce it. And I check things with yandex dictionary (yandex is Russian google), but it lied to me today.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:15 pm »

Huh. Yandex dictionary. Well, I do presume there was some disturbance in the Force, it doesn't usually do that.

Google kittens. :) That's usually entertaining enough - I don't know what's funny to you. Also, that is off thread topic.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: February 17, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »

What.  This sounds like the best week ever.  How have I never heard of that!
It's Shrove Tuesday, or pancake tuesday, in North America. It's a christian holiday marking the beginning of Lent (the season of fasting leading up to Easter). Traditionally celebrated with a pancake meal, symbolic of the traditional emptying out of the larder before lent began. I no longer follow any christian religions, but like hell I'm giving up an excuse for pancakes for dinner!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: February 17, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

I no longer follow any christian religions, but like hell I'm giving up an excuse for pancakes for dinner!

That is a very good point.
Sigs

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: February 17, 2015, 01:10:59 pm »

I no longer follow any christian religions, but like hell I'm giving up an excuse for pancakes for dinner!

No. Pancakes for dinner don't need any excuses.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: February 17, 2015, 01:12:21 pm »

No. Pancakes for dinner don't need any excuses.

That is the best point.
Sigs

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: February 17, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »

We have a pancake meal day for Candlemas in Belgium.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:15 am »

What.  This sounds like the best week ever.  How have I never heard of that!
It's Shrove Tuesday, or pancake tuesday, in North America. It's a christian holiday marking the beginning of Lent (the season of fasting leading up to Easter). Traditionally celebrated with a pancake meal, symbolic of the traditional emptying out of the larder before lent began. I no longer follow any christian religions, but like hell I'm giving up an excuse for pancakes for dinner!

I'm from North America and I've ususlly heard it called Mardi Gras (excpet in heavily hispanic areas where it may be Carnaval [sic] or Pennsylvania Dutch areas where it's Fastnacht Day {"donut day"})

EDIT:
It should be noted that I've never been outside the states, and thus only seen part of North America. But I've gotten the impression that Carnaval is the preferred term in latin america, presumably including Mexico, and as for Canade I would assume that French term Mardi Gras would at least be used in Quebec)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:16:24 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2424 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:39 am »

"Fastnacht" is the German word for Carnival or Shrovetide. It literally translates to "almost night," though the verb "fasten" means the English "to fast" (as in to not eat), so it likely comes from that. It is hilarious to me that it gets called donut day in PA, but then, their language got so confused when they moved to America that they say "Dutch" instead of "Deutsch," so.

In Czech it's Masopust, which literally means something like "let go of meat." Interestingly, "půst" means "fast" (again, in the sense of "not eating") - must be linguistically related. Anyway, they don't have pancakes. There's a huge party with tons of meat, especially sausages. Everyone dresses in costumes like Carnival in most places... But I'm stuck in dumb ol' Scotland, so I had to miss it this year. : (

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:30 am »

"Fastnacht" is the German word for Carnival or Shrovetide. It literally translates to "almost night," though the verb "fasten" means the English "to fast" (as in to not eat), so it likely comes from that. It is hilarious to me that it gets called donut day in PA,

that's because fastnacht is also the name of a type of donut.

EDIT:
There seem to be a  lot of german words that are also types of donuts (like in that old joke about JFK)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:52:16 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:24 am »

"Fastnacht" is the German word for Carnival or Shrovetide. It literally translates to "almost night," though the verb "fasten" means the English "to fast" (as in to not eat), so it likely comes from that. It is hilarious to me that it gets called donut day in PA,

that's because fastnacht is also the name of a type of donut.

EDIT:
There seem to be a  lot of german words that are also types of donuts (like in that old joke about JFK)
Contractions. The same thing happened to Hamburgers in English. It's far more convenient to just say X instead of X's [Food] if it's clear you're talking about food anyway. If someone says that he ate a sub, you don't assume he consumed an undersea vehicle.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:23 am »

No, I consumed an underground train.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:34 am »

No, I consumed an underground train.

You're comfusing sub the sandwich, with subway the terriblensandwich restaurant.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: February 18, 2015, 11:54:56 am »

I've got leftover steaks, anybody got any ideas of what to do with them for lunch?
(I had just normal steak for lunch yesterday so I want to do something different with them this time)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 334