Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550816 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #1995 on: December 05, 2014, 12:11:50 am »

Where is "here"? Cos assuming you're American, this is all of the meaderies in the US apparently.

Also, people were speaking before about mulled wine. That's good, but you have to try mulled cider. Imagine apple pie, except you can drink it, and it gets you drunk.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1996 on: December 05, 2014, 01:37:57 am »

Oh, dear. It turns out there's a downside to that sweet delicious mead. With all that sugar, no matter how much water you drink before bed (and in the middle of the night every time you get up to pee), you wake up with cotton mouth and a headache.

I only had 2 small cups of it! And they were watered down by half, as well.

Oh, well. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go, where I'm sure my Czech coworkers will sympathize with my mead hangover.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1997 on: December 05, 2014, 02:59:31 am »

Sulfur? That's weird. I guess we have slightly different experiences, you being a chemist and me a biologist. More edible stuff in my lab, mostly.
Oh, everything's edible at least once. About the sulfur, I just had two very different concepts of how it would taste - I thought it would either taste like pine resin (for some reason), or like earwax (the Russian phrase for "earwax" literally translates to "ear sulfur"). It's wasn't a rational thing, just morbid curiosity induced by a wholly imagined dichotomy thingy.
Another similar thought that I had is whether one could crush a chunk of potassium in one's hand, whether it would burn the skin due to residual moisture, plus certain culinary/gastronomical associations due to it looking like cat food while submerged in a jar of oil.

I guess that's why they kept it in a bullet-proof safe.

Titrations always tempt me, especially when we have to do boring NaOH and HCl ones. It's salty water once you've neutralised it, right?

...so what happens if I just... taste it?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 05, 2014, 03:17:31 am »

and this is how the TAs get paid overtime, folks
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 05, 2014, 03:25:16 am »

Another thing I always wanted to do was to steal some NaOH and HCl from the lab, keep them in my kitchen, and just mix them whenever I need salty water to cook my pasta in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 05, 2014, 03:27:11 am »

Guys, it's cheaper to buy table salt than attempt to synthesis it from lab chemicals.

Ethanol on the other hand.. is tastier if you buy it rather than pick some up from the lab :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:07 am »

Yeah, but cooking your pasta from hydrochloric acid and caustic soda is better way to impress non-chemist dates. :p

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 05, 2014, 03:33:41 am »

... touche :p

I'll leave you guys to discuss the finer details of cooking with lab chemicals then :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 05, 2014, 03:37:57 am »

Another question is "What does carrot cell cultures taste like?".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: December 05, 2014, 04:32:13 am »

Naah, the real question: What's the best drink you can mix using (diethyl) ether?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 05, 2014, 07:52:21 am »

I got all the spices for Sappho's mulled wine last winter, but I never got ahold of the wine. Now I have a $13 bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, so all I need is an orange and some people to drink this stuff with.

And here I thought alchohol tasted bad in general lol

That may be a personal preference thing, but I think different kinds of alcohol taste very, very different. There's not really a specific "alcohol taste" to hate, and even if there was, plenty of alcoholic drincs wouldn't taste like it.

I like alcohol, but I definitely think it has a taste. It's not that hard to cover up, but it's there. I taste it when I take a shot of cheap vodka (which is about as close to ethanol+water as you get) and I taste it lingering at a sip of a strong beer (like over 10%).

Cheap vodka is actually more flavorful than high-end unflavored vodka - because that means there's non-alcohol/water residue left over from fermentation, stuff like fusel oils or whatnot. Or worse yet, sulfur compounds used to sterilize the fermentor, ugh.

And how good's a 13$ Cabernet? If the prices match those here, that seems a little painful to mix that good wine with... well, anything.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 05, 2014, 10:41:39 am »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:10:54 am by penguinofhonor »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2007 on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:25 am »

I don't usually drink wine, but $13 seems like it's pretty medium quality. I could've probably gotten a cheap bottle for $5-7, but that might result in worse-tasting mulled wine. If mulling it covers up the taste pretty well, I'll probably go for a cheaper wine next time.

You could probably get good results with something a bit cheaper, but the better quality *will* make a difference. Whatever you do, don't used boxed or bottom-shelf stuff. It might taste ok, but definitely not as good, and it's likely to give you a headache or make you feel sick.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 06, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

It depends, in Belgium/France, you can get decent boxed wines nowadays. Also decent wine for 5-6 euros.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 06, 2014, 11:20:44 am »

It depends, in Belgium/France, you can get decent boxed wines nowadays. Also decent wine for 5-6 euros.

Here the swill and boxed wine costs 1-1,5 €. 6 € is pretty good quality.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 334